Niagars Falls Question

Have some out of town company coming up for X-Mas. They said they'd like to see the falls in the winter frozen over (or partically) so was thinking of going there the day after X-Mas. Was wondering if there's a decent amount of ice built up already? I'd imagine normally X-Mas weekend is a bit early, but this year has been cold for all of December, so may be frozen??

I've been there in early Match before and after two months of winter had alot of ice there. The day was sunny with not a cloud in the sky and we actually got to see a rainbow form over the Rainbow Bridge. Never realized it prior, but I assume that must have been how it got it's name??

Any comments from locals

Have some out of town company coming up for X-Mas.  They said they'd like to see the falls in the winter frozen over (or partically) so was thinking of going there the day after X-Mas.  Was wondering if there's a decent amount of ice built up already?  I'd imagine normally X-Mas weekend is a bit early, but this year has been cold for all of December, so may be frozen?? 

I've been there in early Match before and after two months of winter had alot of ice there.  The day was sunny with not a cloud in the sky and we actually got to see a rainbow form over the Rainbow Bridge.  Never realized it prior, but I assume that must have been how it got it's name??

Any comments from locals

534853[/snapback]

I used to be a tour guide in NF, ER. As I'm sure you know, the Horsehoe Falls never freezes, or even partially freezes...the flow of water is far too great. Ice can form on the banks and form the so-called "ice bridge".

The American Falls has come to a partial freeze or reduced flow in the past, but that is unlikely to happen again (well, it probably will happen again sometime in the history of the world...but, not likely THIS year). Several things have changed (ice boom, change in flow over the two falls) to make that less likely.

And yes, that Rainbow is a fixture at the Falls on a sunny day. Quite beautiful, actually.

I guess that's what I meant , the "Ice Bridges" When we say it two years back, all over the base of the American Falls were huge piles of ice. And by early March it had already melted some I'm sure.

So what I'm really asking is will there be some decent sized piles of ice at the base by next week? Or does it take a couple of months of cold freezing temps for those to form?