Optimism in the face of another dismantled dream.

My first taste of the pain and joy known as the Buffalo Bills came as a 6-7 yr old. It was post-Ferguson and Pre-Kelly. I remember hearing my father, cousins and uncles voice their frustration with the team both on Sundays and all week long. I remember wondering how anyone could get so upset with something they so obviously enjoyed. Why didn't they just walk away? At this point, my experience with the NFL was limited to sticker books and wondering what in world third and ten meant.

Then it happened. I became a fan. Sometime before Marv Levy and my tenth birthday I got hooked. I don't remember how. It just happened. The Bills weren't good yet, but they were on their way. They had a cocky, strong armed young QB. They took a shot on a running back that had a horrible knee injury in college. There was a crazy trade that brought in a killer linebacker. It all seemed to culminate when the Bills won their first division title in years and fans rushed the field in exhuberance.

That day I realized why Bills fans didn't walk away. The bad games may have far outnumbered the good, but watching thousands of people rush the field in a surge of absolute elation made me realize exactly what this team gave the community. Moments. The tearing down of the goal posts. The juice rushing for 2000 in '73. Mike Stratton destroying Keith Lincoln. The comeback. The nail biting portion of my existence when Jim Kelly went from good to hall of famer by "taking it himself" and diving for a game winning touchdown with no time left on the clock.

As for next year, I will go into the season with the same dream of seeing the Bills win the super bowl that I always do. It seems to be a part of me. Some years it is more. Some years it is less. But it is always there.

The Buffalo Bills may never win the Super Bowl in my or your lifetime. They may never win it at all. They may move away. All the more reason that the most important things are the moments and the dream.

Yes, I am upset that this year's dream died about eight games ago. But people are getting a little out of hand. This is my antidote for screaming fans, sportstalk radio hosts claiming they are numb, fans describing themselves as depressed and the overall feeling that this is the end of the world. Cause it ain't even close.

My first taste of the pain and joy known as the Buffalo Bills came as a 6-7 yr old.  It was post-Ferguson and Pre-Kelly.  I remember hearing my father, cousins and uncles voice their frustration with the team both on Sundays and all week long.  I remember wondering how anyone could get so upset with something they so obviously enjoyed.  Why didn't they just walk away?  At this point, my experience with the NFL was limited to sticker books and wondering what in world third and ten meant.     

Then it happened.  I became a fan.  Sometime before Marv Levy and my tenth birthday I got hooked.  I don't remember how.  It just happened.  The Bills weren't good yet, but they were on their way.  They had a cocky, strong armed young QB.  They took a shot on a running back that had a horrible knee injury in college.  There was a crazy trade that brought in a killer linebacker.  It all seemed to culminate when the Bills won their first division title in years  and fans rushed the field in exhuberance. 

That day I realized why Bills fans didn't walk away. The bad games may have far outnumbered the good, but watching thousands of people rush the field in a surge of absolute elation made me realize exactly what this team gave the community.  Moments.  The tearing down of the goal posts.  The juice rushing for 2000 in '73. Mike Stratton destroying Keith Lincoln.  The comeback.  The nail biting portion of my existence when Jim Kelly went from good to hall of famer by "taking it himself" and diving for a game winning touchdown with no time left on the clock. 

As for next year, I will go into the season with the same dream of seeing the Bills win the super bowl that I always do.  It seems to be a part of me.  Some years it is more.  Some years it is less.  But it is always there. 

The Buffalo Bills may never win the Super Bowl in my or your lifetime.  They may never win it at all.  They may move away.  All the more reason that the most important things are the moments and the dream. 

Yes, I am upset that this year's dream died about eight games ago.  But people are getting a little out of hand.  This is my antidote for screaming fans, sportstalk radio hosts claiming they are numb, fans describing themselves as depressed and the overall feeling that this is the end of the world.  Cause it ain't even close.

530281[/snapback]

great post I was realtivly young when I became a bills fan. I never lived in western ny and never experienced it, but I became a fan in the 88 playoffs granted I was only 5 at the time, but I saw a team I liked for some reason unknown to me and since that time I have lived and died with this team and I will continue to do so until they leave buffalo or I kick the bucket. It's never as bad as it seems and could easily get better. Countless teams have done it, so why not us?

My first taste of the pain and joy known as the Buffalo Bills came as a 6-7 yr old.  It was post-Ferguson and Pre-Kelly.  I remember hearing my father, cousins and uncles voice their frustration with the team both on Sundays and all week long.  I remember wondering how anyone could get so upset with something they so obviously enjoyed.  Why didn't they just walk away?  At this point, my experience with the NFL was limited to sticker books and wondering what in world third and ten meant.     

Then it happened.  I became a fan.  Sometime before Marv Levy and my tenth birthday I got hooked.  I don't remember how.  It just happened.  The Bills weren't good yet, but they were on their way.  They had a cocky, strong armed young QB.  They took a shot on a running back that had a horrible knee injury in college.  There was a crazy trade that brought in a killer linebacker.  It all seemed to culminate when the Bills won their first division title in years  and fans rushed the field in exhuberance. 

That day I realized why Bills fans didn't walk away. The bad games may have far outnumbered the good, but watching thousands of people rush the field in a surge of absolute elation made me realize exactly what this team gave the community.  Moments.  The tearing down of the goal posts.  The juice rushing for 2000 in '73. Mike Stratton destroying Keith Lincoln.  The comeback.  The nail biting portion of my existence when Jim Kelly went from good to hall of famer by "taking it himself" and diving for a game winning touchdown with no time left on the clock. 

As for next year, I will go into the season with the same dream of seeing the Bills win the super bowl that I always do.  It seems to be a part of me.  Some years it is more.  Some years it is less.  But it is always there. 

The Buffalo Bills may never win the Super Bowl in my or your lifetime.  They may never win it at all.  They may move away.  All the more reason that the most important things are the moments and the dream. 

Yes, I am upset that this year's dream died about eight games ago.  But people are getting a little out of hand.  This is my antidote for screaming fans, sportstalk radio hosts claiming they are numb, fans describing themselves as depressed and the overall feeling that this is the end of the world.  Cause it ain't even close.

530281[/snapback]

Nicely done. A ray of light in the sarcastic, cut-and-run murk.

In my opinion, nothing before or since was as bad as watching Norwood's kick sail wide right--at that point, the dreams of a 5-year old crashed into the memories of a 30-year-old and both slid by that post. Over and over again, in slow motion.

Since then, through all the questionable personnel decisions and monumental collapses, the image of that kick keeps me going. It can only get better. Elation and despair go with the being-a-Bills-fan package, but there's no reason to climb out on a ledge. Those of us who have been with this team through thick and thin are going to really enjoy the moment when the Bills do become the world champs.

530281[/snapback]

That's an awesome post. Thank you. I am so pissed off at this team right now, but I still love them. I don't care if the bills are 0-15. I will still root for them and believe they will win every Sunday. And to all the people who say they won't watch them or root for them anymore, all I say is good. You weren't really fans anyways, good riddance. Go Bills!!!

530281[/snapback]

Great Post glad to see reason from some of the younger Bills fans. I myself remember the days of listening to the radio during the mid 60's and attending my first game at the "Rich" in 1973. Suffering thru the Stew barber years, the mid 80's before moving to NC. I have NFL sunday ticket and sirius radio for one reason and one reason only to watch the Bills on Sunday and to Listen to the hometown call of the game.

Great post.

I too am disappointed with the way this season has gone. But at the same time yesterday as the Bills were losing, I was searching Ebay for a Losman or Evans jersey(wearing mcgahee throwback jersey at the time). Telling my kids what Bills things I would like for Christmas.

I'm also excited by what I've seen in JP, Evans, Mcgahee. This is a young offense in many ways. I think the future will be bright, WHY because I AM A BILLS fan!

nah, sure it sucks, but we are the hardluck fans, everyone knows of us and we stick out from everyone else. when everything finally clicks for us, it is gonna be so SAH-WEET!!!! Being a SU fan, I can finally attest to it!

only problem its been stinging for a while now that I am getting numb from it

531036[/snapback]

I and others have said this countless times before, and it never gets old.  I love the bills win or lose, if I didn't, it wouldn't sting so much when they lose!  GO BILLS!!!!!!!!

531032[/snapback]

To quote Vanilla Sky. (I'm probably paraphrasing) "The sweet just wouldn't be as sweet without the sour."