Mularkey just doesn't get it

bills_fan

Today's quote in the Buffalo News is disturbing on several levels and confirms the worst about Mularkey....

"We didn't finish, which for some reason has been a problem this year," he said. "Throwing the ball down there I have no problem with that. You still have two more downs if you don't complete it to run the ball down there. If you get to third down it's almost predictable that you throw it. On first down, you've given the impression you've been running the ball successfully, and you're trying to strike back at them."

He still doesn't get it. 1st & goal at the Miami 3, Miami's D is sucking wind, you're about to put the game away. We are supposed to be a "power rushing" team. Playing "smash mouth" Steeler-esque football, at least thats what we were sold. Instead, Mularkey still believes that the best way to beat an opponent is to trick them. <_<

Come on Mike, run the friggin ball down their throats. Sure, they may know its coming, and when they can't stop it, its all the more disheartening.

BTW - On that play, JP faked to Willis, the cameraman followed Willis (I believe assuming a run) and Willis was in the end zone before the cameraman realized he didn't have the ball and panned back to JP. :angry:

Yet on that play we run a double wide set to the right, TE on the left. Allowed the D to cover the 2 receivers with 2 corners and a safety, and still have a stacked line.

Not a good formation to even run a trick play on the 3 yard line from. It's easier to peel a receiver off from inside out, or have a WR go 1 on 1 since you don't double to a split wide corner in a goal line situation.

Today's quote in the Buffalo News is disturbing on several levels and confirms the worst about Mularkey....

He still doesn't get it.  1st & goal at the Miami 3, Miami's D is sucking wind, you're about to put the game away.  We are supposed to be a "power rushing" team.  Playing "smash mouth" Steeler-esque football, at least thats what we were sold.  Instead, Mularkey still believes that the best way to beat an opponent is to trick them. <_<

Come on Mike, run the friggin ball down their throats.  Sure, they may know its coming, and when they can't stop it, its all the more disheartening. 

BTW - On that play, JP faked to Willis, the cameraman  followed Willis (I believe assuming a run) and Willis was in the end zone before the cameraman realized he didn't have the ball and panned back to JP.  :angry:

526140[/snapback]

If JP makes a good throw it's 6 points. If it wasn;t open he should have thrown it away. Mularkey has had his share of screw ups this year but I don't think he nees to get raked over the coals for running a play that wasn't exactly like everyone though was coming. That one is on JP.

If JP makes a good throw it's 6 points. If it wasn;t open he should have thrown it away. Mularkey has had his share of screw ups this year but I don't think he nees to get raked over the coals for running a play that wasn't exactly like everyone though was coming. That one is on JP.

526165[/snapback]

Three things can happen on any given pass play and two of them are bad. That one is on Malarkey for rolling the dice when a field goal wins the game.

BTW - On that play, JP faked to Willis, the cameraman  followed Willis (I believe assuming a run) and Willis was in the end zone before the cameraman realized he didn't have the ball and panned back to JP.  <_<

526140[/snapback]

JP made a good play fake as indicated by above.

so who missed the block that made JP run for his life and miss the open Josh Reed?

It's also the KIND of pass he called -- that was a very dangerous type of pass to throw, especially down there, where the DB is going to be playing tight because he doesn't have to worry about getting beat deep.

A pass over the middle, to the tight end or a WR running accross the middle would be safe -- if not open JP throws it into the seats.

A timing route on the outside means JP has to throw it without necessarily knowing if the WR is going to win his battle.

It's not just the pass, it's the type of pass that is a problem.

It's also the KIND of pass he called -- that was a very dangerous type of pass to throw, especially down there, where the DB is going to be playing tight because he doesn't have to worry about getting beat deep.

A pass over the middle, to the tight end or a WR running accross the middle would be safe -- if not open JP throws it into the seats.

A timing route on the outside means JP has to throw it without necessarily knowing if the WR is going to win his battle. 

It's not just the pass, it's the type of pass that is a problem.

526207[/snapback]

Disagree....Jp just threw a very bad pass. He should have a) Led Reed to where only he can catch it or b) throw it away as he was outside the pocket and there would be no grounding.

Sorry, but I put that one on JP (and I am very pleased at his overall progress)

Disagree....Jp just threw a very bad pass. He should have a) Led Reed to where only he can catch it or b) throw it away as he was outside the pocket and there would be no grounding.

Sorry, but I put that one on JP (and I am very pleased at his overall progress)

526247[/snapback]

And I think JP also accepted blame for that play.

You still have two more downs if you don't complete it to run the ball down there. If you get to third down it's almost predictable that you throw it.

He's contradicting himself - what would have he done on 3rd and 3 - probably mix 'em up and quick kick. <_<

Guest BackInDaDay

Mularkey's not the only one who doesn't get it. <_<

If JP made the correct read (key) on that play the ball would have been thrown in the stands. That leaves two plays to run it in. If we catch them in the D Mularkey expected then JP's missing his read doesn't affect the play and it's 6.

Look at the bright side - Mularkey is gaining confidence in Losman and his ability to make plays.

If JP made the correct read (key) on that play the ball would have been thrown in the stands. That leaves two plays to run it in. If we catch them in the D Mularkey expected then JP's missing his read doesn't affect the play and it's 6.

I don't fault the 1st year QB who is just now starting his 8th game for misreading the play or the bad throw. I fault the coach who called the play, trying to trick Miami, instead of trying to physically beat them. Face it, with Mularkey we've been sold snake oil, power-smash mouth running team, who often gets too cute. Give Willis 3 shots from the 3 against that defense at that particular time and would bet my apartment that he gets in.

Face it, with Mularkey we've been sold snake oil, power-smash mouth running team, who often gets too cute.  Give Willis 3 shots from the 3 against that defense at that particular time and would bet my apartment that he gets in.

526478[/snapback]

IMHO this was Mularkey's biggest mistake, and the one that may very well cost him his job...He did come in and say they were going to emphasize the Running Game, and though at times he has tried, for the most part MM's Offense has had no identity whatsoever...And they are miles away from being a Smash-Mouth Offense...Of coarse, the fact that he has not been able to establish any continuity along the Offensive Line has been the main problem MM has faced...And certainly that is not all his fault...But in the business of an NFL HC your words will be magnified greatly, and I think MM's promises may come back to bite him in the...well you know... <_<

IMHO this was Mularkey's biggest mistake, and the one that may very well cost him his job...He did come in and say they were going to emphasize the Running Game, and though at times he has tried, for the most part MM's Offense has had no identity whatsoever...And they are miles away from being a Smash-Mouth Offense...Of coarse, the fact that he has not been able to establish any continuity along the Offensive Line has been the main problem MM has faced...And certainly that is not all his fault...But in the business of an NFL HC your words will be magnified greatly, and I think MM's promises may come back to bite him in the...well you know... <_<

526530[/snapback]

IMO, what will cost Mularkey his job is what appears to be a complete lack of managerial skills. Both on and off the field. (I say appears because I can't tell whether or not he is merely a hand puppet.)

As far as offensive identity, Mularkey was the toast of Pittsburgh just a few years ago when he ran the Gadget Play Offense down there. His heyday was when Tommy Maddox was airing it out all over the lot. I'm not sure it is mere coincidence that the same coaches that turned Tommy "Bust" Maddox into Tommy "Comeback Player of the Year" Maddox felt they could gadget around another unknown commodity at QB...

Yes, and those Pitt teams crashed and burned after a year or two with the gadget play offense, so much so that Cowher asked his new OC before he hired him "Do you belive in running the ball?" Since Whisehurt (spelling) was hired and Cowher went back to winning with running game and defense the Steelers are 23-6.