OT-Sabres getting some good press

bradjames24

Did you read the blurbs at the bottom of that article??

There's talk on Long Island that Mike Milbury is less than enthused with the play of defensemen Janne Niinimaa and Alexei Zhitnik and that Pittsburgh GM Craig Patrick might be willing to swap one of his offensive defensemen (Sergei Gonchar or Dick Tarnstrom) for some defensive stability.

AND

Oilers center Michael Peca, acquired in the off-season in exchange for Mike York, makes his return to Long Island. Peca has gotten off to a slow start in Edmonton (2 goals, 5 assists) while York (4 goals, 9 assists) has almost doubled his counterpart's production.

I thought it would've been wise to keep Zhitnik, but Peca has become a marginal NHL player. I have a feeling Edmonton will not be his last stop. The little man playing big may have caught up to him. His body could be worn out.

The only place the Sabres aren't getting press coverage is in Buffalo. Newspaper, radio (WGR) and TV are all dominated by the 4-8 Bills and what will become of TD. Pretty sickening if you ask me.

522535[/snapback]

Nothin new there. It's a Bills town man, and it's not gonna change (at least until January)

I thought it would've been wise to keep Zhitnik, but Peca has become a marginal NHL player.  I have a feeling Edmonton will not be his last stop.  The little man playing big may have caught up to him.  His body could be worn out.

522483[/snapback]

Not entirely fair - Darcy Tucker cheap-shotted Peca and blew out Peca's knee - Peca hasn't been the same since.

Not entirely fair - Darcy Tucker cheap-shotted Peca and blew out Peca's knee - Peca hasn't been the same since.

522576[/snapback]

You're right, I forgot about that. However, not to excuse a cheap shot, but that is a function of Peca's style of play. He was a big hitter, so obviously other teams tried to take their shots at him when they could. It was Peca's style of play that made him a fan-favorite, but it also probably diminished his skills/health and took a couple of years off his career. Holding out also took a year off his career.

Did you read the blurbs at the bottom of that article??

AND

I thought it would've been wise to keep Zhitnik, but Peca has become a marginal NHL player.  I have a feeling Edmonton will not be his last stop.  The little man playing big may have caught up to him.  His body could be worn out.

522483[/snapback]

It might have been wise to keep Zhitnik, yes, but the guy was such a bonehead, at the most inopportune times. I think it is kind of good that the Sabres are letting the young guys play. This young, fast team could be very tough down the stretch...we were not winning anything with guys like Sataan and Zhitnik...