Are we REALLY out of cap hell????

macaroni

I hope clumping platelets gets the chance to jump in on this discussion, but my understanding of our cap situation is that the cap hits from cutting MW and EM will be gigantic, and cutting them may actually cost us more for the 2006 season. Unless both are willing to take pay cuts, we may be seriously screwed. Plus if TKO can't return back to his old form, we are even more screwed. Other potential pink slip victims (Vincent, Posey, Adams, Milloy, Villarial, etc...) won't have cap hits nearly as detrimental, but nevertheless they will have cap hits of some significance to add onto the problems of finding their replacements.

In a way, an uncapped NFL in 2007 and beyond could actually help us greatly regarding some of these contract situations. But then again, if Ralph is unwilling to shell out the $$$ for a legitimate head coach, I shudder to think of Ralph competing with all the uncapped big market owners (Snyder, Jerry Jones) for free agents  :lol: .

Amazing, ain't it? In just 5 seasons, we've gone from cap jail to cap freedom and back again to cap jail without ever sniffing the playoffs. What a rollercoaster ride that was. Thank you, TD, you GM genius you  :devil: . Hey but on the bright side, we can all save money on car insurance by switching to Geico.

516178[/snapback]

Snyder has already proven throwing $ around is no guarantee you get a good team. I have been a supporter of Tom D up untill now, but I want to see results next year or else. I hope Ralph feels the same way.

If we aren't in cap hell ..... why didn't we sign Cory Simon??? Why do we think we can't resign Clements???? why can't we pick up an offesive lineman worth a crap???

516093[/snapback]

I don't remember all of the specifics now, but when Corey Simon was still disgruntled in Philly, it was widely rumoured that the Bills would be ateam that was interested in him, and that they would have the cap space to make a deal with him. When the Eagles let him go, the Bills company line was that they "had no plans, at this time, to pursue Simon" and they were very happy with the progress that the DT's they had at the time (Edwards, Bannon, Anderson)...the implication made (although I suppose not directly by TD, to be fair) was that the Bills didn't feel Simon would help them more than the guys they already had, and most seem to feel that this was a sign that the team would make a hard push to re-sign Clements. The rest, as you know, is history...neither will be a Buffalo Bills in 2006 is my guess...