WVU-Pitt

buckeyemike

One of my favorite games of the year...I actually like this one more than the NFL games on Thanksgiving, probably because it's later in the day and I've had my tryptophan-induced nap. :doh:

I always root for WVU. I have a lot of family in West Virginia. The Mountaineers are my second-favorite team behind my beloved Buckeyes, and it's not out of the possibility that the two may meet in a BCS bowl game.

With Bednarik, White, and Slayton all sophomores or younger, WVU has a possibility of being a national title contender in the next couple of years. Rich Rodriguez has really recruited well in Morgantown.

Pitt is 5-5 under Dave Wannstedt (!) and needs an upset to become bowl-eligible. Tyler Palko has shown signs of becoming a really good college QB.

I don't know what the weather for the game will be, but it's snowing heavily in Cleveland this Thanksgiving Day, and the snow looks to be moving southeast, so there may be a white field tonight.

GO WVU!!

Mike

The early signs aren't good for Wanny.  He inherited a team that had a wealth of talent, especially on the defensive side, and good depth, and turned them into a train wreck.  I really thought Pitt would've done better than this.

511917[/snapback]

Hmm...worth analyzing. They did lose to Nebraska and OU (that's Ohio University, not the Boys from Norman) earlier this season, but have won four of their last five.

They call this one the "Backyard Brawl" for a reason. The underdog has won each of the last two years. I haven't seen the line, but I'm sure the Mountaineers are heavily favored.

Mike

Some thoughts on last night's 45-13 victory by West Virginia.

-- WVU must have an excellent offensive line...451 yards rushing? I don't think even Nebraska in their glory days did that very often. TD ought to draft several members of the Mountaineer offensive line.

-- Pat White, the freshman QB who took over for the injured Adam Bednarik, ran for 220 yards himself, setting a WVU QB rushing record. I've never seen a quarterback run for over 200 yards in a game before.

-- The fans. West Virginia is an often maligned state, for everything from being poorer than say, New York, to the kids in Morgantown that burn couches everytime the Mountaineers win. I saw that there were still a lot of people in the stadium when the final gun sounded, even though the game had been decided late in the third quarter and the wind chill was plunging near zero. One tradition WVU fans do at the end of games is sing "Country Roads" by the late John Denver, so I would think most of the fans who stayed wanted to do that at the end of the "Backyard Brawl".

Next year, the Mountaineers and the Marshall Thundering Herd start an in-state seven year series. Most West Virginians are fans of both teams, so it will be really interesting to see how this series splits the state.

-- With the dominating win, WVU must beat South Florida in a hurricane-rescheduled game next Saturday in Tampa to clinch the BCS birth. Unless the Husky fans on the board can cheer UConn to victory this week over USF.

GO MOUNTAINEERS!!

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

-- Pat White, the freshman QB who took over for the injured Adam Bednarik, ran for 220 yards himself, setting a WVU QB rushing record. I've never seen a quarterback run for over 200 yards in a game before.

-- The fans. West Virginia is an often maligned state, for everything from being poorer than say, New York, to the kids in Morgantown that burn couches everytime the Mountaineers win. I saw that there were still a lot of people in the stadium when the final gun sounded, even though the game had been decided late in the third quarter and the wind chill was plunging near zero. One tradition WVU fans do at the end of games is sing "Country Roads" by the late John Denver, so I would think most of the fans who stayed wanted to do that at the end of the "Backyard Brawl".

Next year, the Mountaineers and the Marshall Thundering Herd start an in-state seven year series. Most West Virginians are fans of both teams, so it will be really interesting to see how this series splits the state.

The Marshall--- WVU game next year and for the next several years will be interesting to say the least...Many peeps here in WV are ardently WVU OR Marshall and bad mouth each other a lot....I'll post the links to newspaper articles next fall...

I for one cheer for both and have a front lisense plate that has the WVU and Marshall logo on it with the phrase " The House Divided"

I also have a daughter at each school so it really doesn't matter to me who wins this game....Both places love my tuition checks....

I cant wait for that rivalry to start...going to make for some good games.

I must say I'm pleasantly suprised by the play of the mounties this year...didnt expect much out of a young team. White and Slaton are quite the threat in the backfield and can move the ball down the field...I just wish there was a little bit better of a passing attack. Hopefully this offseason the passing game will mature a bit

Go 'Eers...2006 Sugar Bowl Champs ( soon to be at least)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.