Official Nate Clements is not a shutdown corner

JoeFerguson

He's above average, but the best at his position, hardly. I have a vivid memory of him saying that he deserves the salary of the best cornerback in the league during training camp. He has done nothing to earn his self-proclaimed title. My evidence includes:

1 - Not knocking the ball down last year during week 1 against Jacksonville on the last play of the game

2 - Getting burned by subpar receivers, for example today against Parker and the geezer McCardell

3 - Having the audacity to say that he is the best at his position, and then performing below average

So far the defense has completely collapsed, but NC hasn't done anything to show me he is worthy of the money he wants. Don't re-sign him.

He is one of the best 10 corners in the league. If you watch other NFL games you see that other corners get beat all the time. Nate is not a shut-down corner, but I can't think of any in the NFL. There are none! Champ Bailey gets beat constantly. Nate is nowhere near as good as he thinks but he is one of the better in the league.

He is one of the best 10 corners in the league.  If you watch other NFL games you see that other corners get beat all the time.  Nate is not a shut-down corner, but I can't think of any in the NFL.  There are none!  Champ Bailey gets beat constantly.  Nate is nowhere near as good as he thinks but he is one of the better in the league.

508020[/snapback]

I am admitting that he is above average, but not worth the money he wants.

You missed my main point in the argument... Screw Him!

He is one of the best 10 corners in the league.  If you watch other NFL games you see that other corners get beat all the time.  Nate is not a shut-down corner, but I can't think of any in the NFL.  There are none!  Champ Bailey gets beat constantly.  Nate is nowhere near as good as he thinks but he is one of the better in the league.

508020[/snapback]

Dumba### I agree that he is not worth what he wants, but just realize you have to be content with Eric King or Jabari Greer as your other CB. That's the name of the game. Some team will over pay for his services, it probably won't be Buffalo. He will get 8-10M/year as crazy as that sounds.

Do not resign Clements!

Cut MW!

Cut Reed!

Do not resign Teague!

Do not resign Adams!

Cut Milloy and Vincent!

Cut Posey!

We need a third down running back of Chris Perry's caliber. He averaged nearly 10 yards a carry today and made a great catch in the Cincy-Colts game.

Clements has played well before, but he really sucked today in coverage. His technique was horrible and the Chargers took him behind the woodshed and annihilated him.

On the other hand, he seemed to be the only guy on the Bills defense that could tackle. He must have been the only one not dipped in personal lubricant before the game. The defense looked like the 49ers out there, their tackling was horrific.

But, I can't be too hard on Late "Where'd he go?" Clements... the defensive front seven on this unit was totally invisible. They were lined up, then the ball would be snapped, and -- poof! -- the front seven vaporized into nothingness!

He's above average, but the best at his position, hardly.  I have a vivid memory of him saying that he deserves the salary of the best cornerback in the league during training camp.  He has done nothing to earn his self-proclaimed title.  My evidence includes:

1 - Not knocking the ball down last year during week 1 against Jacksonville on the last play of the game

2 - Getting burned by subpar receivers, for example today against Parker and the geezer McCardell

3 - Having the audacity to say that he is the best at his position, and then performing below average

So far the defense has completely collapsed, but NC hasn't done anything to show me he is worthy of the money he wants.  Don't re-sign him.

508009[/snapback]

Well try playing one on one all over the field. You would have a better point if it were Nate not making his plays, but when you rush 8 or 9 most of the time that going to leave some wide open holes. It was downright ugly at times today. The last drive of the first half by San Diego was a joke. We ran some bad blitzes, and then got burned just about everytime.

Well try playing one on one all over the field.  You would have a better point if it were Nate not making his plays, but when you rush 8 or 9 most of the time that going to leave some wide open holes.  It was downright ugly at times today.  The last drive of the first half by San Diego was a joke.  We ran some bad blitzes, and then got burned just about everytime.

508464[/snapback]

I thought the point of having a shutdown corner is to have a guy who can cover one-on-one during blitzes?

Some people on this board would like the Bills to lock up our "lock down" corner with a big contract so we won't be stuck playing a "marginal" player at cornerback.

Folks, if we get marginal performance from the cornerback position ala Clements today, then, I'd rather have a marginal salary to go along with it.

I thought the point of having a shutdown corner is to have a guy who can cover one-on-one during blitzes?

508539[/snapback]

You'd think so for the $9-10M he'll be commanding as the "best" CB in the league.

Can anyone remember a time when NC HASN"T bit on a pump fake? Any future game planning against us HAS to include this little gem for when they really need a big play during the game, they can pull that one out. They know they won't have to worry about the pass rush. :w00t:

Shutdown corner? Yeah, right. Too Late Nate is a shutdown corner. That's why the Chargers picked on him all day, because they were afraid of his "skilz". My sainted grandmother is a better shutdown cornerback. NC played like this was his first NFL game today.

By the way, who the hell was playing the other CB position today? McGee went out lame after the first play of the game, but whatever reject replaced him hardly had to work all day. Oh wait, I think Greer broke up a pass play once. Maybe it was him. Of course, it's easier to just toss it to Eric "Hall of Famer" Parker on the other side because Too Late Nate's let him run free again and again.

nate has been below par this year, and today he sucked bag

however, it isn't just the way the play.

grey has ALWAYS been running this D like a game of madden. he does the same thing all the time: picks a D he wants to run and just throws it out there. no adjustments, no wrinkles, no new developments. same crap all the time.

we are predictable on D, we show exactly what we are going to before the snap, and other teams can adjust.

last year and this year, like last week, when we had a decent game on D it was because guys just came up big with big plays.

against nearly any team on the road this year, opponents make big plays and it is like they knew it would happen at the outset. no surprises, no struggel, just easy execution when ever they need.

at first it was third down and redzone, where we are the worst in the NFL, but now it is every down.

we are the worst in the NFL in run D, in redzone D, and near the bottom on third down.

you don't get that bad in every category without terrible coaching.

grey is an idiot, even tho for a couple seasons he has had some good toys to play with.

on O we might be worse. i want to stab our coaches with a friggin ice pick

Shutdown corner?  Yeah, right.  Too Late Nate is a shutdown corner.  That's why the Chargers picked on him all day, because they were afraid of his "skilz".  My sainted grandmother is a better shutdown cornerback.  NC played like this was his first NFL game today.

By the way, who the hell was playing the other CB position today?  McGee went out lame after the first play of the game, but whatever reject replaced him hardly had to work all day.  Oh wait, I think Greer broke up a pass play once.  Maybe it was him.  Of course, it's easier to just toss it to Eric "Hall of Famer" Parker on the other side because Too Late Nate's let him run free again and again.

508556[/snapback]

While the anger is understood, I think the talent is there. And if it is there, then the problem lies elsewhere.

Brees had a phenom day. Their game plan was dead nuts on. Nate was victimized, but he is the symptom and not the cause in my opinion.

While the anger is understood, I think the talent is there.  And if it is there, then the problem lies elsewhere.

Brees had a phenom day.  Their game plan was dead nuts on.  Nate was victimized, but he is the symptom and not the cause in my opinion.

508560[/snapback]

I wrote this in another post as well. NC had a horrible day in coverage. He was caught with his jock around his ankles play after play. On the whole though, he wasn't the worst thing out there. At least he actually fuggin tackled the ballcarrier. Indeed, at times, I thought he was the only guy on the Bills defense that had two functioning arms sticking out of his torso.

No corner is going to look good when a team *has* to blitz every single down to disrupt any offense even slightly. That, I understand fully. The thing I don't get is NC should know he is up a creek without a paddle and should not be guessing and flailing on every play. He should be able to shutdown Eric Parker for cripes sake.

While the anger is understood, I think the talent is there.  And if it is there, then the problem lies elsewhere.

Brees had a phenom day.  Their game plan was dead nuts on.  Nate was victimized, but he is the symptom and not the cause in my opinion.

508560[/snapback]

I disagree. Clements has been living off his reputation of a so called shut down corner for a couple of years now. After the films from the last few games circulate around the league, other teams will know what many on this board have know for a long time, Clements sucks.