It's time for McGahee to Shine

BuckeyeBill

I am sure that McGahee has this game circled on his calendar.

This is an interesting contest wherein McGahee can prove to the world that he is an elite back. Running-backs are always compared with each other within a game (remember last week of LJ vs WM). McGahee will get what he wanted, constant comparision with the best runningback in the league.

LT has an advantage playing against the 31st run defense and McGahee going against the number 1 run defense. This is an away game (where the Bills never do well). Also, San Diego has to be annoyed with their poor record and are very hungry to beat up on the Bills. Very hungry to beat up on McGahee.

If Willis can overcome all that adversity and put out numbers better than LT, he can officially consider himself an elite back.

Does anybody think that he can outplay Tomlinson this week?

If he runs for half as many yards tomlinson does I say he has played just as well as Tomlinson.

Tomlinson should have a great game, he is playing one of the worst ramked defenses against the run. Willis on the other hand gets to face one of the best so if he puts up numbers half as good as tomlinson, I would say he had a better day.

If it were entirely up to Willis, I think he would do just fine.  My concern is that their line is going to blow apart our line, and Willis is going to get swarmed over every time he gets the ball.

506353[/snapback]

May be this is the chance for Losman to shine....If the Chargers stack up the

line and stop Mcgahee, maybe Losman can get the ball to Evans, if we can

do max protect.

If Willis can overcome all that adversity and put out numbers better than LT, he can officially consider himself an elite back.

If I understand you correctly (and please correct me if I'm misunderstanding you), your measure of whether or not Willis as an elite back is whether or not his "numbers" are better than LT's this week? In other words, If SD wins, 38-17 and LT goes 11 for 39 yds. and Willis goes for 16 and 76 yds., Willis is crowned King?

Also, when you say numbers, are you talking number of missed blocks, number of missed blitz pickups, or number of times the coach removes him on third and 3 or longer?

Elite back? Willis can certainly be considered on the radar as a "potential" elite back, but let's be honest here... does anyone see any Thermal, Emmitt, Edge, or Alexander? I'm looking hard... and if your sellin, I aint buyin. I prefer my elite backs have a little more "show" than "blow".

I thought McGahee explained his attitude perfectly in this article:

"All the other people that think they're not the best have a problem," McGahee said this week. "If I go out there with a mind-set like, `Dang, he's better than me,' then I'm going to go out there and stink."

As Yogi Berra used to say about baseball: "Half the game is 90% mental."

Or, to put it another way:

‘If you reach for the stars, you might not quite get one, but you won’t end up with a handful of mud, either.’

— Leo Burnett

This is an interesting contest wherein McGahee can prove to the world that he is an elite back.

I think 'elite' is something that comes from building a successful career, not having a good game or two.

Willis is certainly an above average back right now, but he has not dominated contests like an elite back does. He will need to show that capability over the next few years to reach 'elite' status.