9th Circuit Court decides the State

"Appeals Court Declares Parenthood Unconstitutional, Group Says

By Susan Jones

CNSNews.com Senior Editor

November 03, 2005

(CNSNews.com) - A new ruling from the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is prompting cries of judicial activism.

On Wednesday the court dismissed a lawsuit brought by California parents who were outraged over a sex survey given to public school students in the first, third and fifth grades.

Among other things, the survey administered by the Palmdale School District asked children if they ever thought about having sex or touching other people's "private parts" and whether they could "stop thinking about having sex."

The parents argued that they -- not the public schools -- have the sole right "to control the upbringing of their children by introducing them to matters of and relating to sex."

But on Wednesday, a three-judge panel of the 9th Circuit dismissed the case, saying, "There is no fundamental right of parents to be the exclusive provider of information regarding sexual matters to their children...Parents have no due process or privacy right to override the determinations of public schools as to the information to which their children will be exposed while enrolled as students."".

First grade kids???

Lenin smiles...the leftist State marches on. Yet opposes the Patriot Act. Amazing.

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Pag...L20051103b.html

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My, how "progressive"!

Once again, the left wing defines freedom as "You have no say because we know what's best for you". Let me guess....this all falls under the banner of 'tolerance'. Have to root out those homophobes early you know!

My, how "progressive"!

Once again, the left wing defines freedom as "You have no say because we know what's best for you".  Let me guess....this all falls under the banner of 'tolerance'.  Have to root out those homophobes early you know!

505030[/snapback]

It's beyond lefty-ism. It's just stoopid. I'm surprised that people whose primary interest is/should be the welfare of children (educators) thinks that this program is A-OK to begin with...

Anyone who trusts the state to educate their kids takes a big risk. This sort of lunacy is bad, but nothing compared to educating to pass a test (No child left behind), which turns schools into Kaplan programs. Or the removal of phonics from classrooms (or is it back now-hard to follow the trends). Or mixing algebra, geometry, and calulus together in the cassarole approach to teaching math (a disastrous failure circa early 90s).

The role of schools is education. Full stop. Eff using them as sites for social surveys and social engineering. Unfortunately, there's almost no way to insulate education from the social bias of teachers. If you can afford private school, at least you have some choice in the bias (or commitment to a lack thereof).

It would be justice served, if one of those 9th Circuit solons' 1st grade granddaughter visited, and said "Grampa, do you have a boner?  Show me!!!".

505046[/snapback]

And he'd be likely to show her. Costa Rica is looking better everyday.

"Appeals Court Declares Parenthood Unconstitutional, Group Says

By Susan Jones

CNSNews.com Senior Editor

November 03, 2005

(CNSNews.com) - A new ruling from the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is prompting cries of judicial activism.

On Wednesday the court dismissed a lawsuit brought by California parents who were outraged over a sex survey given to public school students in the first, third and fifth grades.

Among other things, the survey administered by the Palmdale School District asked children if they ever thought about having sex or touching other people's "private parts" and whether they could "stop thinking about having sex."

The parents argued that they -- not the public schools -- have the sole right "to control the upbringing of their children by introducing them to matters of and relating to sex."

But on Wednesday, a three-judge panel of the 9th Circuit dismissed the case, saying, "There is no fundamental right of parents to be the exclusive provider of information regarding sexual matters to their children...Parents have no due process or privacy right to override the determinations of public schools as to the information to which their children will be exposed while enrolled as students."".

First grade kids???

Lenin smiles...the leftist State marches on. Yet opposes the Patriot Act. Amazing.

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Pag...L20051103b.html

504984[/snapback]

And this decision was by the Ninth Circus?

What a shocker... :)

...authored by one Teddy Kennedy.

505071[/snapback]

:)

No Child Left Behind was the result of a standards-and-testing movement that began with the release of A Nation at Risk by the Reagan administration in 1983.

And it was co-authored by Kennedy, who then worked with Bush to see that it passed. It did, Bush signed it into law, and then he and the GOP Congress severely under-funded it thereby placing that the burden on individual states and school districts.

But that's Kennedy's fault too, right? :)

:)

No Child Left Behind was the result of a standards-and-testing movement that began with the release of A Nation at Risk by the Reagan administration in 1983.

And it was co-authored by Kennedy, who then worked with Bush to see that it passed.  It did, Bush signed it into law, and then he and the GOP Congress severely under-funded it thereby placing that the burden on individual states and school districts.

But that's Kennedy's fault too, right?  :)

505095[/snapback]

Hmm...missed the hue and cry from the loyal opposition re under-funding. Did you catch that?

Passed House of Representatives on December 13, 2001 by a vote of 381-41. It passed in the Senate by a vote of 87-10 on December 18, 2001.

Seems like a few (non-funding) Dem's voted for it...

Hmm...missed the hue and cry from the loyal opposition re under-funding. Did you catch that?

Passed House of Representatives on December 13, 2001 by a vote of 381-41. It passed in the Senate by a vote of 87-10 on December 18, 2001.

Seems like a few (non-funding) Dem's voted for it...

505105[/snapback]

I might be wrong, but I think the budget was gutted after it had been passed. And trying to justify the that GOP's involvement is "better" than that of the Dems won't work on me. I'm a fan of neither.

I might be wrong, but I think the budget was gutted after it had been passed.  And trying to justify the that GOP's involvement is "better" than that of the Dems won't work on me.  I'm a fan of neither.

505108[/snapback]

The Federal government should keep their noses out of education. Period.

I might be wrong, but I think the budget was gutted after it had been passed.  And trying to justify the that GOP's involvement is "better" than that of the Dems won't work on me.  I'm a fan of neither.

505108[/snapback]

To quote my favorite movie: "Welcome to the party, pal."

It took entirely too long for that to be stated in this thread.

505138[/snapback]

Yeah. Well. While we agree, I'm not so sure state governments are much better.

As to who passed no child left behind, WHO CARES? I didn't specifically impugn Dems or Repubilcans for this horror. The fact is that it is ridiculously implemented, even though the goal of teacher accountability is a good one.

504984[/snapback]

Sometimes it looks like a retard rodeo around here, with everybody jumping into the ring to grind their favorite axes....

Is the school policy stunningly stupid? Absolutely - I wouldn't argue with that.

But this is not a ruling on the content. It is a ruling on whether parents have the exclusive right to control the information given to their children. They said no, and you guys are running around screaming at the federal court!

Suppose if I want to raise my kids by only telling them that, say, all catholics are pedophiles. Are you all suggesting that I have the right to prevent the government from exposing them to any information to the contrary? That's the implication of the parents argument.

Blast the local schoolboard, not the courts.

Sometimes it looks like a retard rodeo around here,  with everybody jumping into the ring to grind their favorite axes....

Is the school policy stunningly stupid?  Absolutely - I wouldn't argue with that.

But this is not a ruling on the content.  It is a ruling on whether parents have the exclusive right to control the information given to their children.  They said no,  and you guys are running around screaming at the federal court!

Suppose if I want to raise my kids by only telling them that,  say,  all catholics are pedophiles.  Are you all suggesting that I have the right to prevent the government from exposing them to any information to the contrary?  That's the implication of the parents argument.

Blast the local schoolboard,  not the courts.

505217[/snapback]

eh - maybe retard rodeo was too strong. But I do think nearly everybody's outrage is missing the real target.

"Parents have no due process or privacy right to override the determinations of public schools as to the information to which their children will be exposed while enrolled as students."".

504984[/snapback]

I just re-read this.

Wait a minute... <_< When I was in school, my parents could write a note to excuse me from damn near anything they didn't agree with. Do mine eyes decieve me, or did the Ninth Circus Court just strip even that?