Kevin Everett item from PFW

Coates...  Parcells always used the tight end as a big part of his offense, Bavaro, Mowatt, now a no name Whitten in Dallas.

503992[/snapback]

Witten is a no-name now? He was a second round pick, wasn't he? I know he was a name getting kicked around here at draft time a few years ago. So, shockingly, a second round pick has developed into a good player.

Parcells always used the tight end as a big part of his offense, Bavaro, Mowatt, now a no name Whitten in Dallas.

Gonzo... was drafted in the 1st round and was an instant star right out of the gate because, Marty, like Parcells, loves a TE down the field.  If Gates hadn't emerged for Marty in SanDieg, he would  have found someone else.

So, the TE is not whether you fall into one or not... a good coach knows what one is and brings him in for the sole purpose of making him big part of the offense.

503992[/snapback]

Quick, name the big stud star TE that Parcells used when he was in NYJ? Who was Marty's All-Pro TE in KC? In Cleveland? Who was Vermeil's HOF TE in St Louis?

They brought him in because he had a solid (not spectacular) career as a receiving TE. Chances are pretty good that they brought him in to receive, no?

Because Tommy Maddox was unable to hit him doesn't mean that he wasn't part of the gameplan.

I wouldn't say career... he averaged about 33 snags/yr. with the bills and only once eclispsed 50 snags. I know Tommy Maddox ain't a hall of famer... and perhaps he knows it to. And perhaps he also knew throwing to Reimersma wasn't going make his offense put up points. So, maybe it wasn't because he was "unable" to hit Reimersma, maybe it was because they didn't have too many plays for the TE. Just as a reference, I'll bet you Mark Bruener didn't average 20 receptions a season with the Steelers. Malarkey's only coaching experience in the NFL was with Wyche and Cowher. Neither of those coaches have a history of integrating their TEs into a gameplan such that they would catch 50 balls a season. Even though Malarkey was a TE, how many balls did he ever catch? He was primarily a blocker. So, that's all Malarkey knows. So if you're expecting receptions from a Bills TE, grab a case load of snickers, cuz it ain't happening with this regime.

Thanks so much Kelly for espousing my intelligence.  Like I need a rocket scientist like yourself to tell me what to think, how to think, why to think, when to opine, when not , what to, etc, and whether or not it has merit or logic.  I feel so blessed and enlightened... as always

Coates...  Parcells always used the tight end as a big part of his offense, Bavaro, Mowatt, now a no name Whitten in Dallas.

Gonzo... was drafted in the 1st round and was an instant star right out of the gate because, Marty, like Parcells, loves a TE down the field.  If Gates hadn't emerged for Marty in SanDieg, he would  have found someone else.

So, the TE is not whether you fall into one or not... a good coach knows what one is and brings him in for the sole purpose of making him big part of the offense.

The Billis drafted Euhus in the 3rd or 4th a year ago.  For what?  And, Neufeld?  could he even make another NFL roster?  When has Malarkey ever demonstrated a willingness to include the TE in his passing game... Bruener, Reimersma, Tuman... anyone?  The TE in his offense has one purpose... to block.  A designed play for a TE to be a primary receiver probably doesn't take up a full page in his playbook.

PS, Lee Evens is a wr... so, I have no idea how he gets into this conversation.

503992[/snapback]

Your intelligence cannot easily be espoused, because it so infrequently is existent. In your never ending bashing of the Bills you consistently say foolish things, just to be negative.

Scottenhiemer loved TEs so much in KC that the first year his best was Jonathan Hayes at 18 catches. His second year was Alfredo Roberts at 11 catches. His third year Hayes again with 19. His fourth year Keith Cash had 12. His fifth year Hayes/Cash had 24. His sixth year Derrick Walker had 36. His seventh year Cash had 42. His eigth year Reggie Johnson had 18. His NINTH year of coaching the Chiefs after eight straight years of a TE offense because that Marty just LOVES those TEs as you can tell by eight straight years oif using them as decoys, he finally drafted Tony Gonzalez and guess what? You were wrong again. He wasn't immediately a star, he was second on the team to tight end Ted Popson with 32 catches. Marty's 10th season as coach of the Chargers, Gonzalez became a threat with 59 catches and 10.5 and 2 TDs. Gonzo's third year, Gonzo became a star with 76 catches and 11 TDs.

And guess what, Gunther Cunningham was the coach, Marty was gone. I am not really sure how you could have been more wrong, unless of course, you took your Marty logic and brought it with him to his next stop, Washington, where Marty immediately showcased ZERON FUKKING FLEMISTER as his TE and led the team with 18 catches. Or Marty's next stop, The Chargers, where his TE-dominated style of offense featured Stephen Alexander at 45 catches and 1 TD, or his second year with the Chargers where Gates led the team with 24 catches and 2 TDs.

Then last year, 19TH in the league, he had a star Tight End in Antonio Gates. In fact, in Cleveland he started out with Ozzie Newsome in his prime and then almost immediately Ozzie started to no longer be a star going from 62 to mid 30s to high 20s in Marty's tenure there.

Mularkey drafted Euhus to be a pass catching TE. Euhus has been hurt and hasn't been able to play so they havent thrown down field to the TEs. He wanted to, so he drafted a fast one in Everett, but Everett got hurt on the first day, so he doesn't throw down the field to the TEs. I guess Donohoe and Modrak were all over the Everett pick and Mularkey was just looking at his list of blocking TEs and saying something like, "go ahead and draft the big fast black one, I ain't gonna throw it to him. I don't like throwing to open TE's. I used to hate when I was open and they threw it to me."

Your intelligence cannot easily be espoused, because it so infrequently is existent. In your never ending bashing of the Bills you consistently say foolish things, just to be negative.

Tell you what... when a TE catches 50 balls with this regime, come back and tell me how stupid I am. Until then, you're the one with egg on his face. TEs are an after thought with this staff and it ain't gonna change.

Tell you what... when a TE catches 50 balls with this regime, come back and tell me how stupid I am.  Until then, you're the one with egg on his face.  TEs are an after thought with this staff and it ain't gonna change.

504075[/snapback]

They will when they get a 50 catch worthy TE, they won't until they have a 50 catch worthy TE. Which was my point. They havent had one yet. Everett may or may not be that one. They havent had one since JR was in his prime and had about 50 and he wasnt even that good.

to this day it amazes me how nfl offenses ignore the tight end in the passing game. MM was a former tight end- You would think that he would involve tight ends more than the the Bills currently do. Maybe they are waiting for that big time player at the position and it could be Everett. I just dont understand why teams ignore that position. Just run a 5 yard curl and you're halfway to a first down. Or run a fly and usually you are matched up against a linebacker and I like my tightends chances to come down with the ball.

Id like to give MM the benefit of the doubt and think he is waiting for the right person to step in to b that dominent receiving tightend- maybe at that point we will get big numbers from that position.