All Eyes on Bledsoe ?

Frez

That makes sense. 17/24 for 196 played no factor at all.  :rolleyes:

504340[/snapback]

It did play a factor, Bill.....it kept them close enough in the game to actually win the game in the event of a MASSIVE collapse of the opposing team.....that's what happened last night. Again, there's simply no argument that Bledsoe puts up numbers and can throw a football. Only an idiot would try to argue against that.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And sometimes you realize that having the best QB in the league does not guarantee you a championship, or even a Superbowl appearance.

CW

504350[/snapback]

True.....I totally agree (you bastard lol)

Some QBs rise to the occasion and lead the team to victory, and others don't. Some QBs raise their level of play and those around them in big games, ond some don't. Some QBs can win without everyone having to make excuses for them that their surrounding cast is perfect, and others just go out and get it done no matter WHO they line up with. Sooner or later, you have enough evidence to figure out what type of QB is leading your team.

504347[/snapback]

You do know how fond of you I am, right?

LOL!!! What type of QB is shattering records by the week?

Hey, agree or disagree, you are one good guy. :rolleyes:

Well put.

504349[/snapback]

Thanks....I seem to have typo-itis tonight, so I'm glad the point was still intelligible, lol. Actually, you guys in Cincy seem to have a QB who is a really good example of what I'm talking about.....Carson Palmer sure appears to be a heckuva pick. And I have to admit that I alwasy get a kick out of C.Johnson......his check-off list kills me, lol.

Again, there's simply no argument that Bledsoe puts up numbers and can throw a football. Only an idiot would try to argue against that.

504351[/snapback]

There's a lot of idiots on here :blink: Lots of people post (not in this thread yet...) that DB only has good numbers because he's played so long. :rolleyes: Apparantly good QBs put up his numebrs in only 6 seasons. :lol:

CW

You do know how fond of you I am, right?

LOL!!! What type of QB is shattering records by the week?

Hey, agree or disagree, you are one good guy.  :rolleyes:

504353[/snapback]

And as you hopefully know, the feeling is certainly mutual.....now tell me exactly what your point is here so I don't continue to feel like an idiot, lol

There's a lot of idiots on here  :lol:  Lots of people post (not in this thread yet...) that DB only has good numbers because he's played so long.  :rolleyes:  Apparantly good QBs put up his numebrs in only 6 seasons. :lol:

CW

504357[/snapback]

Well then that's the litmus test for idiots then, lol.....Obviously the guy can throw a ball, particularly the deep ball. He's put up good numbers on a consistent basis since he came into the league. These are clearly facts, not really opinions. I don't know how people can refute that, but as you said, there are a lot of idiots on here :blink:

The overall point was that Bledsoe, while not carrying the team in the playoffs, carried the team in the SB.  The Pats abandoned the running game and the defense got toasted repeatedly.

So, let me see if I have this straight.

Buftex thinks the 1996 Patriots were carried "to" the Super Bowl by Bledsoe, and that they had "no" defense, even though they gave up no touchdowns in the two preceding playoff games.

:blink:

MBD thinks Bledsoe "carried" the team in the actual Super Bowl, even though he had four interceptions in the game.

:rolleyes:

Here's an accurate assessment of that team. You had a well coached overachieving team in New England in 1996 that got a huge break when Mark Brunell played the game of his life and helped upend Denver in Denver. Brunell's was a performance for the ages in that game. The Pats were a playoff team that had a lot of things go their way to get to the Super Bowl. They had a good offense - Coates was in his prime, Martin was really good all year long, and they got some nice contributions from Byers, Meggett and Glenn (set the rookie record for receptions that season). They had probably a better defense, but a lot of the raw talent on it was young (Law, Milloy, Ted Johnson, McGinest, Chris Slade) and Favre, directly in the prime of his Hall-of-Fame career, was not challenged in that final game. Desmond Howard also made a huge play returning a kickoff for a TD, capping his fine, fine season that year. The game landed on the point spread (14) - it was a pretty normal Super Bowl by that standard.

Bledsoe had a good season (statistically his best in New England), and threw a lot of passes as he did throughout the Parcells era, but he didn't carry them to the game. He didn't carry them in the game.

If you want to give credit to anyone for that run, I think Bill Parcells gets the brunt of it. Charlie Armey also should be recognized for his personnel work - especially his fantastic 1995 draft (Law, Martin, Ted Johnson, and Woulabaugh). Before Johnson started tearing his biceps every training camp, he was one heck of a runstopping linebacker. The two now-Jets speak for themselves, and are both legitimate HOF candidates (with Curtis a surefire lock).

2. Ray Lewis goes both ways* (source: his limo driver as told to my friend's girlfriend who was formerly obsessed with meeting him.)

* not that there's anything wrong with that. :blink:

504235[/snapback]

is he still ray lewis when he goes the other way? or is he raylene? :rolleyes:

And as you hopefully know, the feeling is certainly mutual.....now tell me exactly what your point is here so I don't continue to feel like an idiot, lol

504360[/snapback]

Bro, my (perhaps feeble) point is that Drew shatters records, important, long standing records, week after week. See for yourself on the link I provided. He, with 1 TD pass will move up another notch. He is also on a pace to pass Dan Fouts (a decent qb, no? :lol: ) this season in total yards.

Despite the above, there are, and have been for years, countless posts not only saying that he sucks; stripping him of any credit for wins :rolleyes: . Forgive me if I see some humor in it. :blink:

Bro, my (perhaps feeble) point is that Drew shatters records, important, long standing records, week after week. See for yourself on the link I provided. He, with 1 TD pass will move up another notch. He is also on a pace to pass Dan Fouts (a decent qb, no?  :lol: ) this season in total yards.

Despite the above, there are, and have been for years, countless posts not only saying that he sucks; stripping him of any credit for wins  :blink: . Forgive me if I see some humor in it.  :lol:

504366[/snapback]

Oh okay, well yeah, that's an area where I agree with you and Fez (and the other folks who support the guy). Like I said, you can't refute those stats.....but in pro sports, there comes a time when you need to nut-up.....those are the times when I think he is awful more often than he's good. He's got a nut issue. :rolleyes:

Bro, my (perhaps feeble) point is that Drew shatters records, important, long standing records, week after week. See for yourself on the link I provided. He, with 1 TD pass will move up another notch. He is also on a pace to pass Dan Fouts (a decent qb, no?  :lol: ) this season in total yards.

Despite the above, there are, and have been for years, countless posts not only saying that he sucks; stripping him of any credit for wins  :rolleyes: . Forgive me if I see some humor in it.  :blink:

504366[/snapback]

Bill - if Fouts and Bledsoe played in the same era, who do you think would have had more TD passes?

Comparing the two is a little like comparing baseball statistics - would Rafael Palmeiro have more HR's than Mickey Mantle if they played in the same era? The NFL over the last fifteen years has adapted its rules to make the game more pass and thus QB-stat friendly.

So, let me see if I have this straight.

Buftex thinks the 1996 Patriots were carried "to" the Super Bowl by Bledsoe, and that they had "no" defense, even though they gave up no touchdowns in the two preceding playoff games.

MBD thinks Bledsoe "carried" the team in the actual Super Bowl, even though he had four interceptions in the game.

:rolleyes:

Here's an accurate assessment of that team. You had a well coached overachieving team in New England in 1996 that got a huge break when Mark Brunell played the game of his life and helped upend Denver in Denver. Brunell's was a performance for the ages in that game. The Pats were a playoff team that had a lot of things go their way to get to the Super Bowl. They had a good offense - Coates was in his prime, Martin was really good all year long, and they got some nice contributions from Byers, Meggett and Glenn (set the rookie record for receptions that season). They had probably a better defense, but a lot of the raw talent on it was young (Law, Milloy, Ted Johnson, McGinest, Chris Slade) and Favre, directly in the prime of his Hall-of-Fame career, was not challenged in that final game. Desmond Howard also made a huge play returning a kickoff for a TD, capping his fine, fine season that year. The game landed on the point spread (14) - it was a pretty normal Super Bowl by that standard.

Bledsoe had a good season (statistically his best in New England), and threw a lot of passes as he did throughout the Parcells era, but he didn't carry them to the game. He didn't carry them in the game.

If you want to give credit to anyone for that run, I think Bill Parcells gets the brunt of it. Charlie Armey also should be recognized for his personnel work - especially his fantastic 1995 draft (Law, Martin, Ted Johnson, and Woulabaugh). Before Johnson started tearing his biceps every training camp, he was one heck of a runstopping linebacker. The two now-Jets speak for themselves, and are both legitimate HOF candidates (with Curtis a surefire lock).

504364[/snapback]

End of thread.

Bill - if Fouts and Bledsoe played in the same era, who do you think would have had more TD passes?

Comparing the two is a little like comparing baseball statistics - would Rafael Palmeiro have more HR's than Mickey Mantle if they played in the same era? The NFL over the last fifteen years has adapted its rules to make the game more pass and thus QB-stat friendly.

504372[/snapback]

Good question. Do you happen to remember the Charger receivers? They were perhaps the best of all time. JJ Jefferson (before the injuries and whatever else) was as good as almost anybody I ever saw, and I mean that literally. Look at the stats of Charlie Joiner too, and what did you think of Kellen Winslow?

How was Chuck Muncie?

Certainly you are not trying to make a case that Drew couldn't hit these guys, right? C'mon, let's talk old time football. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Fouts and Bledsoe threw the same type of sideline out patterns, wouldn't you agree. That side arm loft with just enough air, no?

But it's discount nut season.  This morning, I bought an 11.5 oz. can of Planter's Mixed Nuts for $2.50.

504379[/snapback]

Heinz Ward special? :rolleyes:

Good question. Do you happen to remember the Charger receivers? They were perhaps the best of all time. JJ Jefferson (before the injuries and whatever else) was as good as almost anybody I ever saw, and I mean that literally. Look at the stats of Charlie Joiner too, and what did you think of Kellen Winslow?

What did you think of Chuck Muncie?

Certainly you are not trying to make a case thast Drew couldn't hit these guys, right? C'mon, let's talk old time football.  :rolleyes:

504380[/snapback]

Wow, how awesome to think about those guys.....That team used to be my favorite when I was a kid and used to stay up and watch MNF.....I didn't really become a huge football fan until I moved to Rochester, but those Chargers teams of the 80s ruled!