How Do You Get Over Losing Big in the Stock Market

DC Mom

You can take a break from the market and invest in Mutual Funds.  The Acorn Fund and the American Funds have done very well for me the past 10 years

495187[/snapback]

Donkey,

I do not know your financial situation, but let me briefly descibe mine.

Was big time into NASDAQ stocks all during the 90s, and had a great run . Problem was, I never pulled out any profits. Not to make my personal situation public, lets just say I had an account go from "planning for my retirement in five years" to my god not only did I lose all my profits, I dam near lost all of my initial capital as well. I kept plowing money in on the "cant get any lower theory".

Well, I got a whole bunch of "worthless security" notices to disprove that claim. Finally, about all I had left was stock where my wife works , and where i worked for several years.

Now, about three years ago we went with a money manager on a fee basis. He has us almost all in varios funds, and we are doing very well. We have diversified our holdings so we are no longer 80% in one stock.

Biggest bonus is this. We have a qtrly meeting with him via phone. And ya know what, that is the only time i think about now. I was like you, checking tickers every 5 minutes, now if I happen to hear how the dow did, great, if not , great too.

Really should try this approach.

Sometimes I miss out on really big profits (Forward Industries, for example, I bought around $3 with the specific goal of selling at $7.  I ended up unloading it at $7...and the stock went to $28 in short order.  Since I made about $15k, I'm not complaining).  .

493657[/snapback]

An old cliche covers this nicely: A bird in hand is better than two in the bush.