The NFL still awarding compensational picks

RVJ

Just wondered since we lost Williams and Jennings. If they do...would they be given

in this draft.

Also whats the highest round pick they give you.

Dos the NFL have a site to tell you how they calculate this.(players lost players signed etc)

Just wondered since we lost Adams and Jennings. If they do...would they be given

in this draft.

Also whats the highest round pick they give you.

Dos the NFL have a site to tell you how they calculate this.(players lost players signed etc)

488679[/snapback]

We lost Adams?

Actually we lost 2 starters (Williams and Jennings) and picked up 3 (Gandy, Holcomb, Anderson) so we probably won't get anything.

We lost Adams? 

Actually we lost 2 starters (Williams and Jennings) and picked up 3 (Gandy, Holcomb, Anderson) so we probably won't get anything.

488683[/snapback]

we did lose bledsoe also. this means we'd prolly get a pick or two because we obvious lost more than we gained.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors.

The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

488843[/snapback]

Exactly. Many folks make the mistake of assuming that there is specific compensation for a player based on how well he plays but this is not the case as it is determined in some black box method that no one can really figure out.

I think also there are these add on important points to your description (which I think is generally factual though the CBA changes all the time by agreement of the NFL and NFLPA on clarification of existing rules so its a moving target):

1. Under the original agreement the plan was to phase out the compensatory picks (the comp picks I believe was originally demanded by the NFLPA as they fought against having a free-market where players and at least wanted the fig leaf of compensation). I think folks envisioned it as gone by now. However, the current system has advantages for both sides and it has survived though I think the plan is still to ratchet it out of existence.

2. Initially, the compensation for lost FAs was as high as a 1st rounder but I think it has dropped down to about a 4th (maybe a 3rd in some cases but i don'tr remember any recently). As compensation has been weighted heavily toward the 7th round amd second day picks, most teams have simply not counted upon them at all as a major planned part of their strategy. They appreciate getting more resources and B word and moan they got rooked when they get nothing, but overall it is a sigelight to their planned activities that neither breaks nor makes their draft.

3. Most fans really overvalue the draft in terms of importance to a team. Good players have to come from somewhere and the draft is where you acquire a LaDamian Tomlinson or Peytin Manning. However, for every Manning picked in the first round their is a Ryan Leaf and it simply gets dicer and worse from there. TD has said that the success rate for 1st rounders is about 50% and I have not seen anyone who is is control disagree with this assesment or any of fans effectively refute this with facts .

There cetainly is the occaisonal Tom Brady picked in the 6th or Terrel Davis who I think was chosen in the 7th, but the general rule is that you select players who turn out to be Mike Pacillo or Dylan McFarland with late picks.

The key thing to think about with Manning is that he is great for the ultimate goal of this business which is to put butts in the seats, but after 7 years he has produced near nothing in team results as no Colt team has even appeared in the SB and it was over 5 years into his career that he pulled ahead of Ryan Leaf in terms of playoff victories to his credit.

The main advantage of the compensatory picks is that they give the teams he fig leaf of compensation when one of the bigger problems for application of the free market to the NFL is that player movement dictated mostly by $ hurts the product as people have trouble building allegiance to players who may well have no allegiance to the community and the players have found that getting more players drafted has a marginal impact in moving salaries up for everyone as many teams still do not spend their maximum cap allocation and even 7th rounders generally get some kind of small bonus. Beuing drafted does add some marginal stability also as players develop slowly enough that anything which keeps them with a team can provide benefit in the player who shows any promise as a rookie maybe pays off his second year and (ala Fast Freddy Smith) and once he becomes an RFA actually may contribute to player movement and the frre market by commanding the largest possible qualifying offer and maybe even nuding his way into the free market with a team giving up compensatory picks to get him.

This has happened with dubious results for the acquiring team so far, but folks are trying and the free market has its appeals. It is going to be interesting when the new cap hits and there is a ton of money floating around that must be spent for salaries under the CBA.

488683[/snapback]

If true, that's just sad. I don't think Holcomb will be starting much longer...

and Jonas Jennings + Pat Williams = Mike Gandy + Bennie Anderson??? :doh:

If true, that's just sad. I don't think Holcomb will be starting much longer...

and Jonas Jennings + Pat Williams = Mike Gandy + Bennie Anderson??? :doh:

489320[/snapback]

Well considering Minnies defense sucks and Williams won't see the probowl and Jennings is gone for the year.

The key thing to think about with Manning is that he is great for the ultimate goal of this business which is to put butts in the seats, but after 7 years he has produced near nothing in team results as no Colt team has even appeared in the SB and it was over 5 years into his career that he pulled ahead of Ryan Leaf in terms of playoff victories to his credit.

489318[/snapback]

I agree with your post, but don't understand this at all. In my mind Manning has been a great success. Ok, no superbowl appearances, but he has made them a legit power over time. Who are we - Buffalo - to assign failure for anything short of winning the superbowl? Does that mean Kelly, Thomas et al have produced near nothing? Or is a selective thing, where the line is conveniently drawn at getting to the Superbowl, while merely winning your division counts for naught?

Bottom-line: I agree with your post, but you have to count Manning as a player who has panned out as good as you might hope. We should be so lucky if JP turns out as well.