Miers withdraws SC nomination

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since Miers didn't pass the litmus test of religious conservatives, I imagine he will find someone who will. When the democrats threaten a filibuster, I am sure those same conservatives will then excoriate the democrats for imposing their own litmust test. Two monkeys fighting over the same piece of s..t. Gee, I can't wait.

Well, since Miers didn't pass the litmus test of religious conservatives,

487775[/snapback]

Her supposedly being a born-again Christian was the big selling point to the Right when she was first nominated and no one cared because she didn't even seem remotely qualified.

I don't think it's accurate to say she wasn't religious and conservative enough for the "religious conservatives."

No matter what, she wasn't good enough for SCOTUS.

It's hard to see if you typed this with a straight face or not.

487816[/snapback]

Well, alright, there are probably no candidates religious or conservative enough to satisfy every religious conservative but I definitely don't think that's why she bombed with conservatives.

We were a month into this thing and I hadn't seen one shred of evidence that she was an excellent lawyer or legal mind. Most of the defense of her was "Seriously, just trust us."

They tried to sell her as some evangelical woman and it turned out that wasn't good enough.

In her letter to Bush, she blamed the Senate for her withdrawal, but made no reference to the righties being all wound up about her nomination.

If you're so inclined, I posted a copy of her withdrawal letter on my blog - CampysWorld.com

487757[/snapback]

last i checked there some "righties" in the Senate.

To really piss off the left, I hope Bush nominates Cheney, and then has his brother get nominated as VP.  That way in 2008 it's a stright run for the Pres from a position of national power.  8 more years of Bush.

487844[/snapback]

I hope he really does get his brother to be VP (and cheney get denied SCOTUS in that case) - typically Vice Presidents do horrible in Presidential elections.

To really piss off the left, I hope Bush nominates Cheney, and then has his brother get nominated as VP.  That way in 2008 it's a stright run for the Pres from a position of national power.  8 more years of Bush.

487844[/snapback]

"...position of national power..." Yes, the awesome power of being a VP to a President with poll numbers hovering somewhere in the high twenties, victory would be assured.....for the other side. :doh:

Well, alright, there are probably no candidates religious or conservative enough to satisfy every religious conservative but I definitely don't think that's why she bombed with conservatives. 

We were a month into this thing and I hadn't seen one shred of evidence that she was an excellent lawyer or legal mind.  Most of the defense of her was "Seriously, just trust us."

They tried to sell her as some evangelical woman and it turned out that wasn't good enough.

487832[/snapback]

My feeling all along was that he put her out there thinking the Dems would shoot her down based on her lack of qualifications, and mostly that she was his choice. Then he could submit the name of a very conservative, but ideally qualified person, and the Dems would be exposed as partisan hacks. In this case, though, the rabid right abandoned him, and took aim at this paper-doll conservative, ironically because she didn't have a complete enough conservative-leaning resume. Now the Dems can do what they want with the next one. Weird. I thought Rove and Cheney were smarter than that.

We were a month into this thing and I hadn't seen one shred of evidence that she was an excellent lawyer or legal mind.  Most of the defense of her was "Seriously, just trust us."

487832[/snapback]

Qualifications? I think that if they knew for sure that the nominee would overturn Roe, religious conservatives would back the nomination of an ear of corn. I think the Miers nomination, its ultimate fate and the confirmation of Thomas pretty much demonstrates the point quite nicely.

"...position of national power..."  Yes, the awesome power of being a VP to a President with poll numbers hovering somewhere in the high twenties, victory would be assured.....for the other side. :P

487856[/snapback]

20%, do you make this sh-- up as you go? Try 45% in Zogby, which isn't some left or right wing hack poll.

http://www.zogby.com/Soundbites/ReadClips.dbm?ID=12062

Qualifications?  I think that if they knew for sure that the nominee would overturn Roe, religious conservatives would back the nomination of an ear of corn.  I think the Miers nomination, its ultimate fate and the confirmation of Thomas pretty much demonstrates the point quite nicely.

487866[/snapback]

The nomination flopped almost instantly and that was when the word on Miers was that she'd definitely vote to overturn Roe v. Wade. The Miers nomination proves exactly the opposite of what you just said (EDIT) about conservatives as a whole.