Interesting Radio Question Yesterday

the largest underdog (point spread wise for betting purposes) to actually win a game outright in college and pro football?

Someone called in and wanted to know. It also made me curious. I'm not even sure where you could even look up something like that. But I bet a team had to be an underdog by 30 plus in college. NFL, maybe 15 or 16 or something.

Anybody, anybody?

the largest underdog (point spread wise for betting purposes) to actually win a game outright in college and pro football?

Someone called in and wanted to know.  It also made me curious.  I'm not even sure where you could even look up something like that.  But I bet a team had to be an underdog by 30 plus in college.  NFL, maybe 15 or 16 or something.

Anybody, anybody?

486094[/snapback]

Well, off the top off my head, Jets being 19 points underdogs to the Colts and WINNING the game in the Super Bowl

Someone called in and wanted to know.  It also made me curious.  I'm not even sure where you could even look up something like that.  But I bet a team had to be an underdog by 30 plus in college.  NFL, maybe 15 or 16 or something.

Anybody, anybody?

486094[/snapback]

I'm sure Syracuse probably losing to someone.

Actually:

The biggest upset in football history, based on a predicted point-spread, was the 1940 NFL title game between the Chicago Bears and Washington Redskins. Favored by 7 points, the Redskins proceeded to lose 73-0, missing the spread by 80-points.

Well, off the top off my head, Jets being 19 points underdogs to the Colts and WINNING the game in the Super Bowl

486099[/snapback]

Nice, that's gotta be the close to the biggest upset in the NFL game. Because all they could remember, by guessing, in the NFL was the Niners a few years back. I can't even remember the game, or if the Niners were favored or underdogs.

You may have the NFL winner.

I'm really curious to know the college football winner though. There had to be a team underdog by about 30 or 40 I bet that actually won a game.

Anybody, anybody?

486094[/snapback]

It's rare in the NFL to see more than a 2 TD spread. Although we did have 1 last week, IND -16 against HOU.

College on the other hand has a 30+ point spread almost weekly.

Friday marked the 16th anniversary of Houston's 95-21 victory over SMU. What's still notable about that game is that the Cougars were favored by 59 points. It was considered then to be the biggest point spread in college football history. It still is.

I couldn't find the NFLs biggest spread.

It's rare in the NFL to see more than a 2 TD spread. Although we did have 1 last week, IND -16 against HOU.

College on the other hand has a 30+ point spread almost weekly.

Friday marked the 16th anniversary of Houston's 95-21 victory over SMU. What's still notable about that game is that the Cougars were favored by 59 points. It was considered then to be the biggest point spread in college football history. It still is.

I couldn't find the NFLs biggest spread.

486157[/snapback]

Cool. I'm thinking the biggest NFL Spread itself was a Niners game in which one team was (most likely the 49'ers) favored by 18 1/2.

Still want to really know the biggest underdog to actually win the game outright. But that Houston game is interesting to say the least.

Someone has to have the information somewhere. I'm guessing the Vegas books keep stats on these types of things.

Cool.  I'm thinking the biggest NFL Spread itself was a Niners game in which one team was (most likely the 49'ers) favored by 18 1/2.

Still want to really know the biggest underdog to actually win the game outright.  But that Houston game is interesting to say the least.

Someone has to have the information somewhere.  I'm guessing the Vegas books keep stats on these types of things.

486165[/snapback]

I heard that too, they went on to say that the 18 1/2 spread was 49ers over the Chargers in the super bowl...

Nice, that's gotta be the close to the biggest upset in the NFL game.  Because all they could remember, by guessing, in the NFL was the Niners a few years back.  I can't even remember the game, or if the Niners were favored or underdogs.

You may have the NFL winner.

I'm really curious to know the college football winner though.  There had to be a team underdog by about 30 or 40 I bet that actually won a game.

486126[/snapback]

Does anyone remember what the line was for the game where we whipped

the Patsies 31-0.....My bet would be either we or them were favored by 3.

I heard that too, they went on to say that the 18 1/2 spread was 49ers over the Chargers in the super bowl...

486177[/snapback]

Yeah. I'm gonna guess that a MAC school or someone like that probably upset a Big Ten team in which they were huge underdogs. It has to be something like that.

Yeah.  I'm gonna guess that a MAC school or someone like that probably upset a Big Ten team in which they were huge underdogs.  It has to be something like that.

486185[/snapback]

I cannot find the actual line, but UC Davis beat Stanford this year. From one article I read, implied UC Davis would have been a 40 pt underdog. Still looking though as this intrigued me.

486157[/snapback]

Wow. 59 points and they still covered by more than 2 TDs. That's some stuff right there.

I cannot find the actual line, but UC Davis beat Stanford this year. From one article I read, implied UC Davis would have been a 40 pt underdog. Still looking though as this intrigued me.

486202[/snapback]

I was actually trying to find the UC Davis line. I remember reading that in the Pittsburgh papers because Walt Harris is at Standford now. They might not have had a line for that game though. Sometimes 1-AA teams vs. BCS conference teams stay off the board.

Greatest inventions ever:

1. Electricity

2. Remote control

3. The point spread

Was anybody else heavy on Atl (-8) last night? I know I was cursing at Vick and chitting my pants when the Jets were driving to make it 27-21. Vinny's injury almost ruined a sure thing.

BTW, great topic...I don't have any answers but I will be paying attention- I am interested in this also...

Greatest inventions ever:

1. Electricity

2. Remote control

3. The point spread

Was anybody else heavy on Atl (-8) last night?  I know I was cursing at Vick and chitting my pants when the Jets were driving to make it 27-21.  Vinny's injury almost ruined a sure thing.

BTW, great topic...I don't have any answers but I will be paying attention- I am interested in this also...

486221[/snapback]

I cleaned up last night. I had 5 teasers with the first half of the tease already won from the weekend of college football and pro football games. Check this out.....teasing this weekend, I had Michigan at plus 8 1/2, Redskins at -6, Minnesota Vikings at plus 8 1/2, Pittsburgh Steelers at plus 7, and the Bears plus 4....all open first half of the tease winners, and all coupled with the Falcons AT PICK vs. the Jets.

Ummmmmm, big prizes (lol) to me. Decided to take out the monetary figure since I play for entertainment purposes only of course. I loved it. God bless Vinny.

I cleaned up last night.  I had 5 teasers with the first half of the tease already won from the weekend of college football and pro football games.  Check this out.....teasing this weekend, I had Michigan at plus 8 1/2, Redskins at -6, Minnesota Vikings at plus 8 1/2, Pittsburgh Steelers at plus 7, and the Bears plus 4....all open first half of the tease winners, and all coupled with the Falcons AT PICK vs. the Jets. 

Ummmmmm, big prizes (lol) to me.  Decided to take out the monetary figure since I play for entertainment purposes only of course.  I loved it.  God bless Vinny.

486254[/snapback]

Nicely done!

How'd you get the Falcons as a Pick'em? I assume your tease was sliding 6 points? I had them at -8, and my buddy had it at -8.5.

As a USC grad, it has pained me to do it, but I have been riding UCLA this year. They are covering machines. They are doing for me this year what the Chargers did for me last year. Ride her till she bucks ya....

Nicely done!

How'd you get the Falcons as a Pick'em?  I assume your tease was sliding 6 points?  I had them at -8, and my buddy had it at -8.5.

As a USC grad, it has pained me to do it, but I have been riding UCLA this year.  They are covering machines.  They are doing for me this year what the Chargers did for me last year.  Ride her till she bucks ya....

486271[/snapback]

Two things here......you are the 2nd person on the board that gets their teases at 6 points. My teasers can be booked with me getting to use 7 points either way. Does no one else get 7 points? Am I that lucky?

Also, I had to place all my entertainment guesses on Friday PM before the Michigan game Saturday because of my guy being outta town. So, he said if I wanted anything, he's sorry, but I had to place them Friday. He doesn't take open teases, so he said if I teased the games with the Falcons, I had to take them Friday night. Well hell, I had my eye on that game from the start, so I said no problem. At that time, I had the line on the USA Today at 7 (Sheridan I think). It was soon 7 1/2 on Bodog, and then it shot to either 8 or 8 1/2 yesterday. So, I had to bet blindly this weekend for the Monday Night game. But I liked all the lines I got at the time on Friday, so I took all of them and went with it. Worked out great. I had zero worries last night at all. I would've probably gone as much as 3 and been comfortable.

Nicely done!

How'd you get the Falcons as a Pick'em?  I assume your tease was sliding 6 points?  I had them at -8, and my buddy had it at -8.5.

As a USC grad, it has pained me to do it, but I have been riding UCLA this year.  They are covering machines.  They are doing for me this year what the Chargers did for me last year.  Ride her till she bucks ya....

486271[/snapback]

OH hell yes on UCLA. I've been riding them all year too. I started with them on the San Diego St game and have taken them since. It will be interesting to see the line for them against USC.

I'll tell you another one that can bring riches.....the University of Buffalo is brutal. I went against them all year, and made a ton, UNTIL Bowling Green didn't cover against them. But still, they are usually gold to go against.

Two things here......you are the 2nd person on the board that gets their teases at 6 points.  My teasers can be booked with me getting to use 7 points either way.  Does no one else get 7 points?  Am I that lucky?

486291[/snapback]

Yes you are. I've only ever played with 6.

Next week looks like the same scenario...Baltimore at Pittsburgh (-8.5) on Monday night without Ray Lewis or Ed Reed...Very similar to Atl-NYJ game...

OH hell yes on UCLA.  I've been riding them all year too.  I started with them on the San Diego St game and have taken them since.  It will be interesting to see the line for them against USC.   

I'll tell you another one that can bring riches.....the University of Buffalo is brutal.  I went against them all year, and made a ton, UNTIL Bowling Green didn't cover against them.  But still, they are usually gold to go against.

486296[/snapback]

Yeah, I was on BG against UB. Buff beat the 31-point spread against Toledo on Saturday as well, looks like they're really coming around :w00t: