Is Moulds worth it for next year?

Started this in another thread, but thought I'd leave it out in the open.

I'm going to say it right now: Eric Moulds, dedicated career Bill that he is, has definitely seen his best days in a Bills uniform. The guy has far underperformed for his salary, and I think we can do better with the young crew we have and perhaps a reasonable veteran FA pickup a la Keenan McCardell -- a guy hungry to prove something. I don't know what we lose by letting him go next year (both in the locker room and in salary cap space) but I think it's time to cut ties, with Moulds, and with the era he's represented in Bills history.

Moulds has been here for an entire era of Bills mediocrity, and I'm beginning to think he's emblematic of it. Think about it. Solid play, but coming up short when he's needed most. I'd like to think we could get back to the playoffs again for him, but if he's a real team leader, he has as much say as anybody. I don't like to see much disrespect for coaches, but an offensive player knows when playcalling is the problem. I wouldn't mind seeing Moulds publicly get in the face of Clements or Mularkey to ask WTF is going on.

I'm obviously not laying the problems of the defense on his shoulders, but at the same time his salary has the subtractive effect on personnel that might buy us the O- or D- lineman we need.

Thoughts? I know this is a bit of an open-ended rant...

Your post is good and well thought.

EM has had his contract renegotiated so many times that it is hard to get a handle on what it would cost to release him after the season. CP? :lol:

Also, there is obviously more football to play THIS year, so it wouldn't be fair to judge his performance in 05 after 7 games.

TD has not shown himself to be the sentimental sort when it comes to getting rid of againg fan favorites but again.....if cutting him actually would cost the team truly needed cap space, I'm not so sure if he will do this.

Your post is good and well thought.

EM has had his contract renegotiated so many times that it is hard to get a handle on what it would cost to release him after the season. CP?  :lol:

Also, there is obviously more football to play THIS year, so it wouldn't be fair to judge his performance in 05 after 7 games.

TD has not shown himself to be the sentimental sort when it comes to getting rid of againg fan favorites but again.....if cutting him actually would cost the team truly needed cap space, I'm not so sure if he will do this.

484571[/snapback]

Agreed....the guy has not shown any veteran presence on this team...

his plays have been sporadic...TO played lights out even in a sick 49ers

team 2 seasons ago....It is time to move on and spend the salary on

other players....