a question

tbonehawaii

It seems to me that Gray blitzes a lot. This means (theoretically) that the highest percentage play for the oppoent is quick short pass. given that, why is it that our cb's are apparently told to play sooooooooooooooo far off the line? its like we don't even contest the first 8 yards. teams seem to be figuring out that they can either run up the middle on us or kills us with short passes. often our cb's are not even on the freaking screen at the snap. I don't think we should be so paranoid about deep passes especially when we blitz so often deep passes should not have time to develop well. thoughts?

It seems to me that Gray blitzes a lot. This means (theoretically) that the highest percentage play for the oppoent is quick short pass. given that, why is it that our cb's are apparently told to play sooooooooooooooo far off the line? its like we don't even contest the first 8 yards. teams seem to be figuring out that they can either run up the middle on us or kills us with short passes. often our cb's are not even on the freaking screen at the snap.  I don't think we should be so paranoid about deep passes especially when we blitz so often deep passes should not have time to develop well. thoughts?

484235[/snapback]

I think you're assuming that we will actually get to the quarterback on most of those plays.

I think the theory is that since there's no safety help (they're blitzing &/or covering LBs spots) that if they connect on a pass & the CB is beaten & is playing too close, it's a TD.

I surmise that the theory/hope is that the blitz is successful & even if they attempt a short pass, the QB won't have anytime & is therefore likely to be off target.

Of course, if the blitz isn't successful... :lol: