Play at TE this season?

Shamrock

The play of the TE aqppears somewhat underdone, as a receiving postion anyway?

Is TE a run blocker- more than receiver in this offense? With the offensive coaching staff being whom they are, i just would have expected a bit more production from this position?

Other then making a catch or 2 a game, I don't think campbell is much of a factor to be a threat receiving wise. He's a decent blocker, so that seems to be his primary role. Euhus I thought had decent receiving skills to be more of an option, but he seems to be injury prone. Neufeld doesn't do either or paticularly well, everett being out for the year eliminates the only other potential receiving option.

It just seems like the lack of te's being a factor in this offense has more to do with the talent level and what campbell is better suited for. If we had a starting te who was a pass catching te ala antonio gates, tony gonzalez type I'm sure mularkey would use them more for receiving then blocking. Campbell just can't create enough consistent seperation from db's to be a factor, and isn't fast enough to split the seems. Although due to his size I think he has enough quickness to be used as a weapon in the redzone more often.

The TE virtually has no prominant role in the passing game in this offense... other than to block, take up space, and, in extreme situations, they are asked to catch a pass.

481778[/snapback]

Actually they don't even really block all that much in the passing game. One good adjustment the Bills staff seems to have made is to recognize that none of the TE's on the roster are good in protection so the instances where they ask them to stay in have greatly decreased since last year, imo.

As far as pass-catching, they don't seem to want them to be a regular part of the offense (although I wonder if Peters' # change may be the stirrings of a change in this), but they do seem to like to use them as an element of surprise when they're looking for a bigger play(ie when they lined up Campbell in the slot and then motioned Willis out wide and hit Cambell on the hash post for that huge conversion in the 4th qrtr vs the Jets).