McGahee Wants To Be The Best!

NJ_BillsFan

Bills | McGahee Wants to be the Best

Thu, 20 Oct 2005 06:02:15 -0700

Mark Gaughan, of the Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills RB Willis McGahee has one goal - to be the best running back in the NFL. "I want to be the best back in the NFL," McGahee said Wednesday, Oct. 19. "There's only one thing on my mind right now, and that's leading the NFL and going after one guy, that's Shaun Alexander, he's on top." Entering Sunday's game, Oct. 23, against the Oakland Raiders, the Bills have clearly defined their offensive focus: It's McGahee. He has 138 carries, more than any other back except for Indianapolis Colts RB Edgerrin James, who has 142. McGahee said he thinks his speed is improving. "Oh yeah, most definitely. I feel it's coming back. It's coming back slowly. I worked hard in the offseason. I knew it was going to pay off. It's coming."

Mark Gaughan, of the Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills RB Willis McGahee has one goal - to be the best running back in the NFL. "I want to be the best back in the NFL," McGahee said Wednesday, Oct. 19. "There's only one thing on my mind right now, and that's leading the NFL and going after one guy, that's Shaun Alexander, he's on top." Entering Sunday's game, Oct. 23, against the Oakland Raiders, the Bills have clearly defined their offensive focus: It's McGahee. He has 138 carries, more than any other back except for Indianapolis Colts RB Edgerrin James, who has 142. McGahee said he thinks his speed is improving. "Oh yeah, most definitely. I feel it's coming back. It's coming back slowly. I worked hard in the offseason. I knew it was going to pay off. It's coming."

481094[/snapback]

Best = $$$$ Don't underestimate McGahee's motivation

481094[/snapback]

Having the most yards does not equate to being the best back. That's like saying because Britney Spears sells more records than Alicia Keys that she's a better singer. Yeah, right.

If you want to go after 'the best', Willis, head to San Diego.

As Much as I like Willis no back and or player in the league is even in the same realm as Ladanian Tomlinson and that includes Shaun Alexander. And to another poster Show me what nfl player isn't motivated by money? Tomlinson? Highest Paid Back in the league. It's their job. They don't play for the unis they wear they play for the $$$ from Tom Brady to the long Snapper from the arizona cardnials. if Mcgahee's motivation is getting paid and he goes crazy every week and in the process helps the bills win then so be it. GO AFTER THE MONEY Willis and Keep on riding the Horse :ph34r:

Great to know Willis wants to be #1. But then again, don't most starting backs in the NFL want the same? I'm pretty sure that the majority have that on their mind.

For Willis to be considered the best, well, he's got a hell of a lot of work to do to measure up to the really good backs. I'm not trying to disparage what he's done or what a lot of Bills fans think of him, but "personally" I think he's a one dimentional back that doesn't really have a lot of potential to get much better. He's certainly capable of having multiple 1500 yard rushing seasons, but I don't ever see him hitting the 2,000 yard mark or never having the yards from scrimage that the great ones have.

A little comparison to shed a light on why I'm thinkin like this...

I will make an assumption that the best 3 RBs in the game right now are Tomlinson, James, and Alexander... not necessarily in that order, and there may be a back or two that could be thrown in that mix for argument (Holmes and Lewis for example), but generally speaking, these three are what I'd use to benchmark Willis's progress and standing... certainly if he wants to be "the man"

Running is only part of what a running back does. What about receiving and what about blitz pickups? When it comes to the receiving part of the game, Willis ain't even in the same ballpark with these guys. Look it up if you don't believe that. We're taliking 40-60 reception seasons consistently. Blitz pickups? I don't know much about Tomlison or Alexander in that regard, but I know damn well that McGahee is no where near as good as James at cutting a blitzer, because of observed enough of James to have seen that. And I can't count the times in which I've literally seen McGahee allow his QB to to given up because he didn't lay down the smack on a blitzer.

Also, two very important measures or qualities that stand out inmy mind when you assign greatness to a RB is the number of long runs they've had (this ability alone strikes fear into a defense) and the number of 200 yard games they've had. Willis is zero for two when measured against these two criteria. OJ, Faulk, Brown, Emmitt, Payton, & Thurman. All of these guys had that ability. Even the "now 3" have ripped off 60-80 yard runs consistently in each season they've played. And all three have had multiple 200 yard rushing games. Even Holmes and Lewis have the long runs and 200 yard games on their resumes. Not McGahee thow... just 41 yards for a long run... and that didn't even register a sixer. Even his predecessor, Travis Henry had a longer run and a couple of 200 yard games.

So, my suggestion to Willis and all of the superstar wanabees is to just shut up and play. Don't talk about you wanting to be "the man", just "be the man". Let your actions speak so loud that we can't hear you. You've got a lot of work to do to make us forget Juice and Thermal, not to mention the other greats.

Great to know Willis wants to be #1.  But then again, don't most starting backs in the NFL want the same?  I'm pretty sure that the majority have that on their mind.

For Willis to be considered the best, well, he's got a hell of a lot of work to do to measure up to the really good backs.  I'm not trying to disparage what he's done or what a lot of Bills fans think of him, but "personally" I think he's a one dimentional back that doesn't really have a lot of potential to get much better.  He's certainly capable of having multiple 1500 yard rushing seasons, but I don't ever see him hitting the 2,000 yard mark or never having the yards from scrimage that the great ones have.

I will make an assumption that the best 3 RBs in the game right now are Tomlinson, James, and Alexander... not necessarily in that order, and there may be a back or two that could be thrown in that mix for argument (Holmes and Lewis for example), but generally speaking, these three are what I'd use to benchmark Willis's progress and standing... certainly if he wants to be "the man"

Running is only part of what a running back does.  What about receiving and what about blitz pickups? When it comes to the receiving part of the game, Willis ain't even in the same ballpark with these guys.  Look it up if you don't believe that.  We're taliking 40-60 reception seasons consistently.  Blitz pickups?  I don't know much about Tomlison or Alexander in that regard, but I know damn well that McGahee is no where near as good as James at cutting a blitzer, because of observed enough of James to have seen that.  And I can't count the times in which I've literally seen McGahee allow his QB to to given up because he didn't lay down the smack on a blitzer.

Also, two very important measures or qualities that stand out inmy mind when you assign greatness to a RB is the number of long runs they've had (this ability alone strikes fear into a defense) and the number of 200 yard games they've had.    Willis is zero for two when measured against these two criteria.  OJ, Faulk, Brown, Emmitt, Payton, & Thurman.  All of these guys had that ability.  Even the "now 3" have ripped off 60-80 yard runs consistently in each season they've played.  And all three have had multiple 200 yard rushing games.  Even Holmes and Lewis have the long runs and 200 yard games on their resumes.  Not McGahee thow... just 41 yards for a long run... and that didn't even register a sixer.  Even his predecessor, Travis Henry had a longer run and a couple of 200 yard games.

So, my suggestion to Willis and all of the superstar wanabees is to just shut up and play.  Don't talk about you wanting to be "the man", just "be the man".  Let your actions speak so loud that we can't hear you.  You've got a lot of work to do to make us forget Juice and Thermal, not to mention the other greats.

481204[/snapback]

Well said!

I think the biggest thing Willis hasn't shown yet in his career is having a

career day against the top teams like a NE or Pittsburgh.....

The rest of the stuff depends on play calling etc....Willis cannot have high

# of catches if the ball is not thrown to him.....He is not going to have long

runs, if his WRs don't provide the necessary blocks...(I am not saying they

are not doing that, but it might be the case).....

But what the great backs do is against big opponents with game on the

line, they take it on themselves to win the game for the team.....

In that respect I don't think even Alexander or James have done much...

Only LT has done something close to that......

The last back to do somehting of that sort for the bills was TT.

Great to know Willis wants to be #1.  But then again, don't most starting backs in the NFL want the same?  I'm pretty sure that the majority have that on their mind.

For Willis to be considered the best, well, he's got a hell of a lot of work to do to measure up to the really good backs.  I'm not trying to disparage what he's done or what a lot of Bills fans think of him, but "personally" I think he's a one dimentional back that doesn't really have a lot of potential to get much better.  He's certainly capable of having multiple 1500 yard rushing seasons, but I don't ever see him hitting the 2,000 yard mark or never having the yards from scrimage that the great ones have.

Running is only part of what a running back does.  What about receiving and what about blitz pickups? When it comes to the receiving part of the game, Willis ain't even in the same ballpark with these guys.  Look it up if you don't believe that.  We're taliking 40-60 reception seasons consistently.  Blitz pickups?  I don't know much about Tomlison or Alexander in that regard, but I know damn well that McGahee is no where near as good as James at cutting a blitzer, because of observed enough of James to have seen that.  And I can't count the times in which I've literally seen McGahee allow his QB to to given up because he didn't lay down the smack on a blitzer.

Also, two very important measures or qualities that stand out inmy mind when you assign greatness to a RB is the number of long runs they've had (this ability alone strikes fear into a defense) and the number of 200 yard games they've had.    Willis is zero for two when measured against these two criteria.  OJ, Faulk, Brown, Emmitt, Payton, & Thurman.  All of these guys had that ability.  Even the "now 3" have ripped off 60-80 yard runs consistently in each season they've played.  And all three have had multiple 200 yard rushing games.  Even Holmes and Lewis have the long runs and 200 yard games on their resumes.  Not McGahee thow... just 41 yards for a long run... and that didn't even register a sixer.  Even his predecessor, Travis Henry had a longer run and a couple of 200 yard games.

So, my suggestion to Willis and all of the superstar wanabees is to just shut up and play.  Don't talk about you wanting to be "the man", just "be the man".  Let your actions speak so loud that we can't hear you.  You've got a lot of work to do to make us forget Juice and Thermal, not to mention the other greats.

481204[/snapback]

For the most part, I agree w/ your post. A lot of the great backs you mentioned just played their hearts out and didn't worry about the stats or any of that stuff. In the process, they achieved those stats.

Having the most yards does not equate to being the best back.  That's like saying because Britney Spears sells more records than Alicia Keys that she's a better singer.  Yeah, right.

If you want to go after 'the best', Willis, head to San Diego.

481166[/snapback]

The fact that both Alexander and Tomlinson get in the end zone at absurd rates make them the best. And anyone check out Jamal Lewis' stats? He's a one hit wonder. Had a few good seasons but his running style has already taken its toll, add to that freakin PRISON time i would rather have Willis over Jamal Lewis all day everyday.

For the most part, I agree w/ your post.  A lot of the great backs you mentioned just played their hearts out and didn't worry about the stats or any of that stuff.  In the process, they achieved those stats.

481310[/snapback]

Spoken like a true NASCAR fan...