Did Anyone Else See The Sporting News'

buckeyemike

Yep, this guy seems to be more out for sightseeing from the stands than watching a football game. BoA in Charlotte should be ranked higher. There isn't a bad seat and there are TONS of bathrooms and concession stands to go to. I don't mind the Ralph. Nothing spectacular, but you can't beat the atmosphere!!!

Candlestick is the worst, The Cardinal's stadium is horrible, but they are getting a new one. He places it in the top third? Good location, but you don't watch the game from on theose buttes.

Qwest in Seattle is great- I recall it from going there last year for the Bills game there. Awesome stadium- great location- it's the best hands down.

I've always liked Ralph Wilson Stadium. It's a great palce to see a game- great tailgating.

I think our rating is a  low. Arrowhead and the Ralph are very similar stadiums and I heard that Alltell in Jacksonvilel is the twin of the Ralph. So..whatever.

481349[/snapback]

I had read the article a while back and the picture of the Seattle Stadium made it look like there wasn't much parking for tailgating. The stadium looks great but if there isn't tailgating why bother.

I found the article very biased towards the new stadiums with all their upgrades for the people who like to have their own waiter serving them. If you want that then just stay at home, watch the game and have the kids bring you drinks and food from the kitchen.

I had read the article a while back and the picture of the Seattle Stadium made it look like there wasn't much parking for tailgating. The stadium looks great but if there isn't tailgating why bother.

I found the article very biased towards the new stadiums with all their upgrades for the people who like to have their own waiter serving them. If you want that then just stay at home, watch the game and have the kids bring you drinks and food from the kitchen.

481722[/snapback]

You are right, the one drawback in Seattle is the tailgating there. It's pretty much zero. It's in the middle of downtown. The stadium itself is great.

The more I think about this guys article- it sucks. Some writers are just wrong and this is one of those writers.

You are right, the one drawback in Seattle is the tailgating there. It's pretty much zero. It's in the middle of downtown. The stadium itself is great.

The more I think about this guys article- it sucks. Some writers are just wrong and this is one of those writers.

481745[/snapback]

I didn't read the entire piece but from what I did read I'm scratching my head. He seems to be more interested in the view he has of the area surrounding the stadium than he is with how great the stadium is to watch a game in.

Who cares if “from various points around the stadium, you can see Mount Rainier, Puget Sound, the Olympic Mountains and the Seattle skyline” or if “millions of burnt-orange and red leaves frame the north end zone.” Are we on a nature hike or watching a football game here? He rarely even mentions anything about watching a football game in these stadiums.

I dont put much stock in these kinds of rankings/ratings as the raters are usually bozos and their idea of what's important has little or nothing to do with what I care about.

With that said, how can they possibly rank the Ralph below Giant's stadium and the Superdome (or any dome, as far as I'm concerned...but the Superdome is a TERRIBLE place to watch football)?

Even worse are some of the category ratings. Giants stadium is rated better than the Ralph in "location"...????????? Giant's stadium is in an different freakin state, fer Christ's sake...the Ralph is as easy to get to as any suburban stadium I've ever been to...and far easier that Giants Stadium...or Candlestick...getting out is another story.

And what is with the "3" for Game-day experience? What the hell is Game-day experience? To me it's all about tailgating and the game-viewing/ebergy experience. Can you tell me the Ralph is one of the worst in the league for that?

Stop now...must watch blood pressure... :rolleyes:

This was in a September issue of The Sporting News.

The Ralph clocked in at #24.  The blurb said it was cavernous and cold with all the concrete, even in high summer, and the stadium was difficult to get to.

The top five were:

1) Qwest Field, Seattle

2) Raymond James Stadium, Tampa Bay

3) Reliant Stadium, Houston

4) Ford Field, Detroit

5) Cleveland Browns Stadium (I'm surprised it was that high...it's really pretty basic).

But the Ralph did clock in ahead of the Metrodome, Dolphins Stadium (being a two-sport facility is what ruins it), Giants Stadium, and dead last, the Georgia Dome (also a surprise).

I don't have a link to the article, sorry.

Mike

480856[/snapback]

Do you think the writer has visited the place recently? They made improvements and the last couple of time I was there the bathrooms weren't hard to find. I never havd a problem getting into or getting our of the Ralph. Park at ECC, and get in and out with 15-20 minutes, max.

Considering all the new stadiums built in the last 10 years or less its not surprising that Rich is lower now. Doesnt mean that Rich sucks though.  Not sure what they mean by "hard to get to" Do they dislike it because its not in the city? I like the fact its out in the suburbs.

480914[/snapback]

Not being downtown makes it extremely accessible, however not good for the downtown Buffalo economy. That however, is a different post for a different board but a subject that had been beaten to death more than once.

Ralph is good, I've been to worse, namely Dun Devil Stadium, which as of now I would rate among the worst.