Penn State 10th in the BCS Poll?

R. Rich

Wow. I would've thought the loss to Michigan would give the pollsters the reason they need to knock the Lions out of any kind of contention. For anything!

Yeah, I do think there's a consipracy against PSU in the polls. Any other major college football program out there have 5 unbeaten and untied seasons and only 2 national titles to show for it?

Both Penn State and Notre Dame schedules are weak. The computer rankings take strength of schedule into account and both are bad. Notre Dame's schedule seems brutal but in reality it isn't. Pittsburgh is horrible this year. Washington is horrible this year. Michigan is in a down year even though they were ranked 3rd at the time of the game but that was based on preseason rankings. Purdue is average. Michigan State is average. USC is great. I wouldn't give NOTRE Dame any quality wins.

On paper, ND plays alot of big name schools but in reality they are average schools that pad their record by playing cup cakes.

I would say the same thing about Penn State's schedule. They haven't played any good teams. They are all average at best.

The first BCS poll doesnt really matter anyways because there are some teams that are undeafeated that are gonna lose a game because they play another unbeaten (ie Texas Tech - Texas) and the two SEC schools are going to get a loss because they play in the SEC.

Still hoping for a Men of Troy versus VA Tech National Championship game.

Still hoping for a Men of Troy versus VA Tech National Championship game.

479349[/snapback]

You lambast Penn St. & Notre Dame as playing weak schedules and then tout VA Tech? I realize the toughest part of their schedule is still to come, but their hardest games so far were NC State and W. Va.

We all know that every big time college team play cup cake games then has a few tough games. Va Tech still has to play a rival game with UVA which is always a tough game. They have BC and Miami left to play then a possible date with Florida State in the ACC championship game. Also, I rate Va Tech higher than those teams because the ACC is the second toughest conference if not the toughest behind the SEC.

Va Tech has been good for the last few years and shown consistancy where ND and Penn State (especially PSU) have been down the last few years. No doubt ND is a better team with Weis at the helm but someone complaining about their BCS ranking is off-base.

You can make the same argument for Texas and USC. Who have they really played this year? Every Big Boy Football Factory only plays a few elite teams a year. There is always the cup cake teams in the beginning of the year followed by 2 or 3 good teams in their conference and the bottom feeders in the conference. I give Texas credit for going to Ohio State at the beginning of the year. But I think we have come to the conclusion that maybe Ohio State was a bit over rated coming into the season.

You can make the same argument for the Bills this year about being in first place at 3-3. Who have they really beaten? Houston is horrible, Miami and the Jets should be home wins and they were.

I just want to have a good National Championship game and I think which ever two of the three teams (USC, Texas, and Va Tech) that make it will be a good game. I guess I pull for Va Tech due to where I live. But I try to look at it objectively.

I give Texas credit for going to Ohio State at the beginning of the year. But I think we have come to the conclusion that maybe Ohio State was a bit over rated coming into the season.

The Buckeyes are still looking at a Big Ten co-championship at the very least. They haven't lived up to their NC hopes but it doesn't take away from Texas' win at all. That stadium was the loudest I've ever heard one before and I was at the PSU-OSU game two weeks ago. Going into the 'Shoe is always tough, but at night it is even tougher. Texas came in with poise and flat out won the game. At this point I even think Texas should be # 1. And Notre Dame not playing a tough schedule? USC, UM in the Big House, UT are all very, very hard games. MSU and Purdue are both quality opponents.

You can make the same argument for Texas and USC. Who have they really played this year?

USC has played AT Oregon (the toughest place to play in the PAC 10), AT Arizona State, and AT Notre Dame. They still have to go to CAL and play a tough team there. And the hardest game IMO is UCLA at the end of the year. UCLA has looked really impressive so far.

What's more, I was surprised by Notre Dame being left off the BCS.  I mean, they are playing a brutal schedule, and they're still playing very well.  I can't stand the Irish, but I give credit where it is due.

479058[/snapback]

Is the strength of schedule still part of the equation? Texas Tech is #7 and they have really played a weak schedule, Sisters of the Blind weak.

Wow.  I would've thought the loss to Michigan would give the pollsters the reason they need to knock the Lions out of any kind of contention.  For anything! 

Yeah, I do think there's a consipracy against PSU in the polls.  Any other major college football program out there have 5 unbeaten and untied seasons and only 2 national titles to show for it?

479056[/snapback]

"1987 - Fiesta Bowl - #1 Miami vs #2 Penn State - Battle for the national championship in the highest watch game of all time. Classic game comes down to the end. Miami featured Vinny Testaverde and Michael Irvin."

IIRC, PSU got jobbed in THAT game... :ph34r:

"1987 - Fiesta Bowl - #1 Miami vs #2 Penn State - Battle for the national championship in the highest watch game of all time.  Classic game comes down to the end.  Miami featured Vinny Testaverde and Michael Irvin."

IIRC, PSU got jobbed in THAT game... :rolleyes:

481103[/snapback]

PSU 14, Miami 10

http://espn.go.com/abcsports/bcs/fiesta/s/1987.html

You may recognize the name Shane Conlan. He was our 1st round pick that year and won Defensive Rookie of the Year

"1987 - Fiesta Bowl - #1 Miami vs #2 Penn State - Battle for the national championship in the highest watch game of all time.  Classic game comes down to the end.  Miami featured Vinny Testaverde and Michael Irvin."

IIRC, PSU got jobbed in THAT game... :rolleyes:

481103[/snapback]

Ahhhh.... sweet memories.... the punks from the U strutting off their team plane in their camouflage and sunglasses. Irvin talking *! all week about how our DBs couldn't cover him, then developing a bad case of alligator arms after Isom and Cobbs smacked him around a little bit. And Mr. Heisman Trophy coming up small in the big game, again.

Since I didn't have the $$$ to make the trip to Tempe, I watched that game at a friend's off-campus apartment. And when Gifto cradled Vinny's final pass of the evening, I swear the building started shaking. Man. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

Wish my #31 (Conlan) jersey still fit - if it did, I would've worn it to the game last Sunday and spent the entire afternoon yelling "Throw it to me Vinny, I'm open !!!" ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.