Revenge of the Sith

major

After reading the AP article about Kelly Holcomb, one sentence jumped out to me:

"Holcomb said the decision (on who starts Sunday's game with the Jets) rests with Mularkey and team president Tom Donahoe".

We need a GM that allows the coaches to make the calls they feel are best for the team. The coaches know who is best suited to play each position week in and week out. I trust them way more than I do a GM sitting in a box.

Again, another example of Donahoe not allowing his coaches to coach.

Your thoughts????????

The thing is TD knows his job will be on the line if we completely tank this season. Plus, there isn't much to disagree about between the both of them when it comes to naming the starting QB. Right now Holcomb is better. He's the safer option. MM and TD both know that. They so desperately want to salvage this season considering our division is still up for grabs. It's a matter of risk over reward. If JP doesn't see another play for the rest of the season that means we're having a damn good season with Holcomb under snap but that also means JP's development was put on the back burner. Whatever. I've got no opinion on what we should do anymore. I've heard every scenario and I just want to win. Let's give Holcomb a chance for the next few weeks; if he can do it - great. If not - let JP take over for the rest of the season.

it works both ways, last week this board was screaming for ralph wilson and TD to force the Clements and MM to call a better game..

The coaches should be able to coach, but there should be accountable to the front office

Problem is the coach and his assistants haven't shown the ability, in any way shape or form, to coach. When they learn the basics of coaching maybe TD can trust them to make a decision. But right now they look like a bunch of monkeys at the zoo.

Problem is the coach and his assistants haven't shown the ability, in any way shape or form, to coach.  When they learn the basics of coaching maybe TD can trust them to make a decision.  But right now they look like a bunch of monkeys at the zoo.

473708[/snapback]

So the turnaround last year wasn't due to good coaching?

So the turnaround last year wasn't due to good coaching?

473725[/snapback]

No it wasn't. The pieces were in place. The lack of quality coaching was obvious, and really showed itself in the Pittsburgh game. The problem now is that it is even more pronounced as teams have found a way to easily beat the schemes, and they show no ability to adjust at all.

No it wasn't.  The pieces were in place.  The lack of quality coaching was obvious, and really showed itself in the Pittsburgh game.  The problem now is that it is even more pronounced as teams have found a way to easily beat the schemes, and they show no ability to adjust at all.

473727[/snapback]

You actually think that coaching had nothing to do with the turnaround? :blink:

You actually think that coaching had nothing to do with the turnaround?  :blink:

473800[/snapback]

We were 6-10 the year before that, losing the last three games. The team had basically given up. Last years 9-7 was basically the same team, but they seemed to get a little fire in the belly.

Yes I believe the players and the benching of Travis had more to do with that turnaround then the coaches. I believe that was guts and Mcgahee, as well as Evans providing a spark.

Let me add on a little here. I believe also that the players were not sold on JP, hence the poor start this year. Having a vet presence and the ability to actually look off a receiver and go through progressions will help. I believe TD told MM that his experiment at QB failed for now and was forced both by the players and the front office to close down his experiment.

Which I don't agree with, but I understand.

We were 6-10 the year before that, losing the last three games.  The team had basically given up.  Last years 9-7 was basically the same team, but they seemed to get a little fire in the belly. 

Yes I believe the players and the benching of Travis had more to do with that turnaround then the coaches.  I believe that was guts and Mcgahee, as well as Evans providing a spark.

Let me add on a little here.  I believe also that the players were not sold on JP, hence the poor start this year.  Having a vet presence and the ability to actually look off a receiver and go through progressions will help.  I believe TD told MM that his experiment at QB failed for now and  was forced both by the players and the front office to close down his experiment. 

Which I don't agree with, but I understand.

473811[/snapback]

I agree with what you're saying. I do think our coaching is weak compared to some other teams.

Pats watched Hearns-Hagler to psych up for Falcons

That's an example of Belichick doing something a little bit different to get his boys going. MM will probably make the players eat more cheeseburgers next time we have a big game on the road.

After reading the AP article about Kelly Holcomb, one sentence jumped out to me:

"Holcomb said the decision (on who starts Sunday's game with the Jets) rests with Mularkey and team president Tom Donahoe".

We need a GM that allows the coaches to make the calls they feel are best for the team. The coaches know who is best suited to play each position week in and week out. I trust them way more than I do a GM sitting in a box.

Again, another example of Donahoe not allowing his coaches to coach.

Your thoughts????????

473636[/snapback]

I think the statement from holcolm is definitely one of the reaosns that the bills cannot win with TD meddling with the team. you always read about coaches who want to be the coach and GM, (cook buying their own groceries argument), but you never read about the GM wanting to coach...for good reason.

It's known - I am not a TD fan, in fact, i place the blame solely on his shoulders for the Bills being how they are. in addition to interfering with the coaching, he has been a poor evaluator of talent. The drafts since he has been the GM have been poor. He hit it on Clements, Winfield and Mcgahee - but missed badly on the other 1st rounders we have had. I would even consider Mike Williams a bust for the 5th overall pick - he's average at best and can't stay on the field. An OT like that can be found in the 3rd round, not high first pick....

I agree with what you're saying. I do think our coaching is weak compared to some other teams.

Pats watched Hearns-Hagler to psych up for Falcons

That's an example of Belichick doing something a little bit different to get his boys going. MM will probably make the players eat more cheeseburgers next time we have a big game on the road.

473849[/snapback]

I think cheeseburgers at your hotel after a long trip would motivate someone more than a boxing video.

They are not on their own when travelling.

474004[/snapback]

so you WERE serious? please. you must not know anything about motivating people. offering cheeseburgers isn't going to make anyone play harder. or want to play harder. its a nice reward after a long trip but not some tactic you'd use to pump up your guys before a game.

i've been a boxing fan for ages and you can't compare watching an exciting back and forth classic to eating a freakin' cheeseburger. there are different forms of motivation for sure - and presenting a boxing match everygame would NOT work. it would get old. but if you do use it once a year and present it in a shortened version as did Belichick then you may get some hyped up excited players.

so you WERE serious? please. you must not know anything about motivating people. offering cheeseburgers isn't going to make anyone play harder. or want to play harder. its a nice reward after a long trip but not some tactic you'd use to pump up your guys before a game.

i've been a boxing fan for ages and you can't compare watching an exciting back and forth classic to eating a freakin' cheeseburger. there are different forms of motivation for sure - and presenting a boxing match everygame would NOT work. it would get old. but if you do use it once a year and present it in a shortened version as did Belichick then you may get some hyped up excited players.

474018[/snapback]

For christ sakes. You act like BB showing a boxing match to his team is like some cutting edge motivational tool. Give me a break.

We were 6-10 the year before that, losing the last three games.  The team had basically given up.  Last years 9-7 was basically the same team, but they seemed to get a little fire in the belly. 

Yes I believe the players and the benching of Travis had more to do with that turnaround then the coaches.  I believe that was guts and Mcgahee, as well as Evans providing a spark.

473811[/snapback]

Did Travis bench himself or did the coach do it?

For christ sakes.  You act like BB showing a boxing match to his team is like some cutting edge motivational tool.  Give me a break.

474023[/snapback]

name me a better "cutting edge motivational tool" a coach has used recently. at least BB is doing something to motivate his guys.

to clarify since you are obviously confused - i don't consider it some stroke of genius on BB's part. i do give him credit for doing something a little different. please don't exaggerate a compliment.

I think cheeseburgers at your hotel after a long trip would motivate someone more than a boxing video.

473974[/snapback]

Seems to me the cheeseburgers worked just as well as the boxing video.