Have a big meeting with the CEO tomorrow

gmac17

Yeah, every company who cuts jobs does it because of the President of the United States.

And therein lies the difference between me and a lot of other people.

this had nothing to do with a bad economy, or the president for that matter - it had to do with some bad decisions, a lack of capital needed to make things completely successful and probably some underperfomance by a number of people.

At the same time, I know that the thing I created when an idea popped into my head while drinking a large dunkin donuts coffee on I-95 near providence in 1999 will be around for years to come. It has been written about in Playboy (before we sold to schools!) and been featured on the today show and written about in the press around the world. It's definitely my baby so it will be a little tough to see it go, but it may be a good thing.

And I'd be very surprised if it wasn't eventually very profitable for someone (and that someone could be me....).

As Trump would say "You're fired" (actually layed off...)

35092[/snapback]

Gmac, did you see Da Ali G Show episode where Borat was learning how to interview for a job in America?

"Can I put camera in the lady toilet?"

"No."

"...why not?!"

Try to use some of those interviewing skills when you start looking for your next job. Or, better yet, don't.

Good luck, man.

As Trump would say "You're fired" (actually layed off...)

A very cordial meeting that was basically "the company is losing money at the moment because of your division, not your product. We're going to sell off the division asap to someone who can do better with it. In the meantime we're laying everyone off..."

I could almost definitely work for whoever buys the division, but don't know when that will be or where. I could also get some people together and try to buy back my piece of the company we sold them originally. Probably won't do that, I've been doing this for 5 years and have had enough of a roller coaster ride (start company, get investors, internet Rosen, almost go out of business, get bought, get layed off....) not sure if I want to start it up again.

Anyway, I'm actually a little excited to be free for a while. I have some side stuff I do that will at least pay the bills and the wife has a good job so I think I'll enjoy myself for a few months since it's probably the last chance before we have kids in a few years......

35092[/snapback]

I dont wander over here much...but I was following your post....I just wanted to say that I admire you for being able to have the flexability to say "they let me go but it is a good thing"

I myself work at a University...and have been laid off in the past.......and my options are limited.....good for you