Here's the botton line on the QB decision

duey

Right now, the Bills are essentially two weeks and two divisional wins from being in first place.

We have a team that has quite a bit of talent (though they sure haven't been playing that way). Assuming that they can pull it together a bit, this team certainly is in the position to make a run at the division. This of course is faciliated by the coming-back-to-the-pack of the Pats and the Jets QB issues.

Do you take this reasonably experienced and talented team, in theory a playoff contender, and tell them that the main goal of the season is to develop JP...at all costs? Or do you maintain that the main goal of the season is reaching the playoffs?

I think at this juncture, given the fact that we could be in first place in the division if we win the next two games, you have to go with your best chance at winning. If after the next two games, we have either split or lost both, then you go back to JP and the develop game plan. If we do win the next two, and Kelly plays reasonably well, you stay the course and shoot for the playoffs.

That's the bottom line folks...and that's what management is wrestling with right now. They certainly didn't think that JP would sh-- the bed like he has, 'cause you know they figured that we could be a contender with him running the show.

I think at this juncture, given the fact that we could be in first place in the division if we win the next two games, you have to go with your best chance at winning.  If after the next two games, we have either split or lost both, then you go back to JP and the develop game plan.  If we do win the next two, and Kelly plays reasonably well, you stay the course and shoot for the playoffs.

Makes sense to me. The fact that it's not necessarily permanent is important. I understand wanting to develop your young guy, but this is the freaking Dolphins at home....just win the game....whatever it takes. We can always go back to JP and develop him after the inevitable stinkers in Oakland & NE end our season.

Right now, the Bills are essentially two weeks and two divisional wins from being in first place.

We have a team that has quite a bit of talent (though they sure haven't been playing that way).  Assuming that they can pull it together a bit, this team certainly is in the position to make a run at the division.  This of course is faciliated by the coming-back-to-the-pack of the Pats and the Jets QB issues.

Do you take this reasonably experienced and talented team, in theory a playoff contender, and tell them that the main goal of the season is to develop JP...at all costs?  Or do you maintain that the main goal of the season is reaching the playoffs?

I think at this juncture, given the fact that we could be in first place in the division if we win the next two games, you have to go with your best chance at winning.  If after the next two games, we have either split or lost both, then you go back to JP and the develop game plan.  If we do win the next two, and Kelly plays reasonably well, you stay the course and shoot for the playoffs.

That's the bottom line folks...and that's what management is wrestling with right now.  They certainly didn't think that JP would sh-- the bed like he has, 'cause you know they figured that we could be a contender with him running the show.

467084[/snapback]

Considering that you have to win the battles up front, and I don't know if I'd say we're "talented" as a whole on either line, I don't know if I can say this is a playoff contender. We must start to win those battles in the trenches, offensively and defensively, to even entertain those thoughts.

We have a team that has quite a bit of talent (though they sure haven't been playing that way).  Assuming that they can pull it together a bit, this team certainly is in the position to make a run at the division.  This of course is faciliated by the coming-back-to-the-pack of the Pats and the Jets QB issues.

Do you take this reasonably experienced and talented team, in theory a playoff contender, and tell them that the main goal of the season is to develop JP...at all costs?  Or do you maintain that the main goal of the season is reaching the playoffs?

That's the bottom line folks...and that's what management is wrestling with right now.  They certainly didn't think that JP would sh-- the bed like he has, 'cause you know they figured that we could be a contender with him running the show.

467084[/snapback]

Bingo. Good post! At least give credit to what the Bills are thinking here, even if you disagree.

Considering that you have to win the battles up front, and I don't know if I'd say we're "talented" as a whole on either line, I don't know if I can say this is a playoff contender.  We must start to win those battles in the trenches, offensively and defensively, to even entertain those thoughts.

467226[/snapback]

This team is much more of a playoff contender then it is a rebuilding project. Hence the pressure to win (and make the QB change).

This team is much more of a playoff contender then it is a rebuilding project.  Hence the pressure to win (and make the QB change).

467271[/snapback]

You are sadly mistaken, a playoff contender isn't the 2nd worst team in the league against the rush. Games are won and lost in the trenches, Buffalo is woefully inadequate on both lines right now.

This team is much more of a playoff contender then it is a rebuilding project.  Hence the pressure to win (and make the QB change).

467271[/snapback]

Will see this weekend. I think the vets on the team thought they would be alot closer to a run. How many aging vets want a chance. JP development is down the road.

I'll say now what I said when the decision was whether or not to keep Drew or let him go and start JP this year. The coaches should start whichever quarterback they have on the roster who they feel gives us the best chance to win. Period. The regular season is not a training ground. Learning is what practices and preseason is for. If JP gives us the best shot at winning this game, this weekend, then start him. If the coaches think that KH gives us a better chance at a win, then start him. If they don't know who give us the best chance, then they should bench themselves. I am willing to trust their judgment on this assuming they have made a judgment.