Ranking the Young QBs

Hirly5

http://premium.si.cnn.com/pr/subs2/siexclu...1010/index.html

I dont know if the link will work because you need to be suscribed to SI to view it but here is his list:

Hit it big

Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh, 2004 (1); Miami (Ohio)

His 15-1 record as a starter is the best by any QB to begin a career. But can he can play great in big games?

Byron Leftwich, Jacksonville, 2003 (1); Marshall

Already the clear-cut leader of a rising team. Fearless in the pocket, but the Jags better find a way to keep him from getting beat up.

Carson Palmer, Cincinnati, 2003 (1); USC

A touch of Troy Aikman (71.8% completion rate this year) with the long-ball ability of Dan Fouts. We could be seeing a very special player.

Had some Success

David Carr, Houston, 2002 (1); Fresno State

Still a franchise-type quarterback with a terrific arm, but he seems to be regressing. Career touchdowns: 35; interceptions: 45.

Eli Manning, N.Y. Giants, 2004 (1); Mississippi

Cucumber cool. Last six games (14 touchdowns, five interceptions, 230 yards per game) show he's becoming a force to be reckoned with.

On the Bubble

Joey Harrington, Detroit, 2002 (1); Oregon

Just not made for coach Steve Mariucci's precision offense. He's never completed more than 56% of his throws in any of his four seasons.

Kyle Boller, Baltimore, 2003 (1); Cal

New offensive coordinator Jim Fassel was making progress in teaching Boller, who's out until later this month with turf toe, to play less frenetically.

Patrick Ramsey, Washington, 2002 (1); Tulane

Showed signs he could be long-term QB (24 TDs ) but Joe Gibbs soured on him.

Needs for Playing Time

J.P. Losman, Buffalo, 2004 (1); Tulane

Good mobility, good arm, questionable decision-making, little poise. Could lose his starting job to vet Kelly Holcomb.

David Garrard, Jacksonville, 2002 (4); East Carolina

Might be another Trent Green -- a guy who has to find a new home to have a chance to start. Mobile, fearless, good leader.

On the sideline, but intriguing

Philip Rivers, San Diego, 2004 (1); N.C. State

Either he or Drew Brees will be quarterbacking in another uniform on opening day 2006. The Chargers love his arm and feet.

Matt Schaub, Atlanta, 2004 (3); Virginia

Great Mike Vick insurance. In training camp, Atlanta G.M. Rich McKay said he wouldn't take a first-round pick for Schaub.

Chris Simms, Tampa Bay, 2003 (3); Texas

Bucs coach Jon Gruden seems to have lost faith in Phil Simms' son. If Gruden hadn't been sold on drafting Cadillac Williams, he might have taken up Denver's offer of Reuben Droughns for Simms.

Rex Grossman, Chicago, 2003 (1); Florida

Poor guy: first the ruptured ACL in 2004, then the Achilles tear in August. No way the Bears can count on his being their QB of the future.

Looking like a BUST

Drew Henson, Dallas, 2003 (6); Michigan

The owner handed the former Yankees farmhand $7 million to quit baseball. The coach buried him below Tony Romo on the depth chart. A storm's brewing over Valley Ranch.

I think there are two camps here:

1. Those that totally disagree with the move

2. Those that do not agree with the move but are curious to see how the team will respond to a QB change

I am in camp 2. I thought they should go with JP through thick and thin. I didnt like taking him out of TB game or the Saints game. I do not see Holcomb's start as the end of the world though. Holcomn either wins or loses. Four games is a short leash for a first year starter but maybe the coaches know something that the fans do not.

Four games is a short leash for a first year starter but maybe the coaches know something that the fans do not.

467079[/snapback]

Perhaps they have figured out that they don't have a friggin clue. Clements should be gone yesterday, others to follow if they can't figure out how to call plays.