Stick with Losman

TNBillFan

You may be right.  However, just because you "don't think" Holcomb could have done any better, doesn't make it true.  Maybe the team would only be 1-3 with Holcomb in there, but I think (since we are basing this whole thing on what we think, and have no real proof) that Holcomb would have made plays that were available to JP, along the way, that would have moved the ball much more than what we have seen.

Believe me, I am not condemning JP.  There is a lot to like about him. I get the whole, Eli, Favre, Palmer thing (ad nausium), but the reality is, who is to say that a number of things wouldn't be different, if the offense was moving the ball some. Maybe if the defense isn't on the field so long, maybe the make at least some of those third down stops. 

It pains me to say it, but I agree with ajzepp.  We have seen what level JP is at for 4 games.  We are heading into an extremely important 4 game swing, that will ultimately determine if this team can do anything this year.  If  they don't win at least 3 of those 4, the season, for all intents and purposes becomes about building for next year.  That will give JP 8 games to get better.  It just seems like the same people who were calling for Bledsoes' head last season, even when the team was winning, are the same ones who are already conceding this season as yet another  building year, after only 4 weeks. 

As Kelly the F & B Dog has pointed out numerous times, Losman has great confidence.  Benching him is not going to ruin his career.

466053[/snapback]

Good post. No doubt JP will continue, but I also get a bit irritated at the suggestion that Holcomb is a bum. Same as last season about Matthews.

They are both savvy vets and I'm glad they are on the team. I think there is only a small number of NFL clubs that wouldn't like to have those two on their bench.

I think it boils down to this. There are basically 3 camps here:

1) Those who still believe that we have a decent shot at the playoffs. Mostly because the rest of the division is also looking rough, and expecting Miami's bubble to burst. This group wants Holcomb to start because they think he might be enough of a QB for this scenario, and they're worried any more JP starts = losses = end of the dream. This group also hanging on to the hope that we actually do have a great defense that is going to start showing itself again soon.

2) Those who look at this team and realize playoff chances are extremely slim. Thus the rationale is that you stick with JP and let him get experience, in the hopes that he develops as quickly as possible into something special. This group is willing to take any improvement as a positive - not for this year's playoffs, but for next year (and years after).

3) Those who think JP will turn things around fast enough that we can still make a run at the playoffs this year. This is clearly the smallest group, made up of hyper-optimists.

Is there anyone that doesn't see themselves at least for the most part in one of these camps?

3)  Those who think JP will turn things around fast enough that we can still make a run at the playoffs this year.  This is clearly the smallest group, made up of hyper-optimists.

466733[/snapback]

Hey, I'm in that group!! What do you mean by "hyper-optismist"? :blink:

Before this season, I planned on giving JP 8 games to really develop. And I assumed he would be inconsistent and possibly stink at points during those 8 games. But I also believed our running game and defense were good enough for us to at least win 3-4 of those games, giving us a good chance to make a playoff run during the second half of the season...when things start to click for JP.

I still hold true to that set of predictions. The only problem has been the playcalling--our run game and defense that were supposed to win games for us, haven't done so. But I think the message was sent to the staff this past week and things will change re. the playcalling.

Did i miss the memo... I thought the season was going to rest on the running of McGahee, not the arm of Losman.

Why are we so gun-ho about making the playoffs? We'll just get our ass kicked. Watching game film and playing against our practice squad will not make JP better. He needs game reps going full speed. It's the only way he'll learn.

I think it boils down to this.  There are basically 3 camps here:

1)  Those who still believe that we have a decent shot at the playoffs.  Mostly because the rest of the division is also looking rough, and expecting Miami's bubble to burst.  This group wants Holcomb to start because they think he might be enough of a QB for this scenario, and they're worried any more JP starts = losses = end of the dream.  This group also hanging on to the hope that we actually do have a great defense that is going to start showing itself again soon.

2)  Those who look at this team and realize playoff chances are extremely slim.  Thus the rationale is that you stick with JP and let him get experience, in the hopes that he develops as quickly as possible into something special.  This group is willing to take any improvement as a positive - not for this year's playoffs, but for next year (and years after).

3)  Those who think JP will turn things around fast enough that we can still make a run at the playoffs this year.  This is clearly the smallest group, made up of hyper-optimists.

Is there anyone that doesn't see themselves at least for the most part in one of these camps?

466733[/snapback]

Perhaps, but your catagories come off with a certain tone - you are all little children, so here are some restricted choices for you compliments of me. Followed by a general appeal to ask the master's approval.

Hey, I'm in that group!! What do you mean by "hyper-optismist"?  :blink:

Before this season, I planned on giving JP 8 games to really develop. And I assumed he would be inconsistent and possibly stink at points during those 8 games. But I also believed our running game and defense were good enough for us to at least win 3-4 of those games, giving us a good chance to make a playoff run during the second half of the season...when things start to click for JP.

I still hold true to that set of predictions. The only problem has been the playcalling--our run game and defense that were supposed to win games for us, haven't done so. But I think the message was sent to the staff this past week and things will change re. the playcalling.

466739[/snapback]

Well let's put it this way, compared to most on this board, you ARE a hyper-optimist. You still believe in a playoff run, sticking to your original assumption that we can groom JP and do that. There just are not that many on this board in that camp.

Perhaps, but your catagories come off with a certain tone -  you are all little children, so here are some restricted choices for you compliments of me. Followed by a general appeal to ask the master's approval.

466745[/snapback]

Has he assigned captains yet? I'll probably get picked last, as usual... :blink:

Perhaps, but your catagories come off with a certain tone -  you are all little children, so here are some restricted choices for you compliments of me. Followed by a general appeal to ask the master's approval.

466745[/snapback]

I wasn't meaning to offend or come off as superior, just making an observation that most of what I see posted tends into one of these categories (concerning sticking w Losman or not). It was kind of stupid to add my last line, (kind of like saying "which of my pigeon holes do you fit into?").

I wasn't meaning to offend or come off as superior, just making an observation that most of what I see posted tends into one of these categories (concerning sticking w Losman or not).    It was kind of stupid to add my last line, (kind of like saying "which of my pigeon holes do you fit into?").

466763[/snapback]

No sweat, Ga.Bill. I can read pretty good and I can understand most of what I read. Your post was neither offensive nor superior sounding. Unfortunately the current melt-down environment going on with our team is making loyal and reasonable posters grouchy.

Bottom line for me is that without an effective, if not dominating, defense---like the one we were repeatedly promised----and a strong running game---like the one we were repeatedly promised---JP is a sitting duck unless he has the extremely rare first year experiences of Dan Marino or Ben Roethlisberger.

The defense, especially the line, needs to sack up and play. The coaches need to remember that run blocking is easier for less skilled linemen than pass blocking and that an All-Pro running back is on the roster.

Run on offense, play NFL caliber D and I bet the game will "slow down" for Losman.