Bills - Raiders Preview

Rico

Gannon will get Raiders in win column

Overview

Two veteran quarterbacks looking to prove they can take their respective teams to the next level face off in this game. Buffalo's QB Drew Bledsoe and Oakland's Rich Gannon will need to elevate their level of play working against some of the best corners in the league.

The Bills' two-headed monster of Travis Henry and Willis McGahee looks to take some pressure of Bledsoe by establishing an effective running game. Gannon will look to his talented offensive line to give him time to find the open receiver. The Raiders still have questions at receiver, but the unit has shown a penchant for making the big play when it counts. Now the question is can they do it consistently?

When the Bills have the ball

Although McGahee played most of the fourth quarter in last week's game, don't expect him to replace Henry as the starter. Henry was forced to leave the game with cramps in his left leg and he should be fully recovered. That said, look for Buffalo to get McGahee more carries early on. Rotating McGahee in more steadily should prevent Henry from cramping up again.

Keeping Henry fresh so he has the burst to turn the corner should be important because the Bills will want to attack the perimeter of Oakland's run defense throughout this game. LOLB DeLawrence Grant and backup Akbar Gbaja-Biamila are two former defensive ends who are adjusting to playing outside linebacker and they have some problems making plays in space. In addition, consistently running outside will force a Raiders defensive line that has excellent size but lacks range to run from sideline to sideline, which should cause it to wear down late in the game.

Oakland's new 3-4 scheme could pose some problems for a Bills offensive line that has yet to jel. OC Trey Teague shows good burst off the ball but he lacks prototypical bulk. He will struggle to create a seam working against NT Ted Washington. While OGs Lawrence Smith and Chris Villarrial are quality run blockers, they lack the quickness to chip Washington before getting up to the second level. They also should have problems reaching the Raiders' inside linebackers as a result

Passing:

Buffalo head coach Mike Mularkey employs a ball-control offense predicated on a strong running game and a conservative passing attack. It's designed to take pressure of Bledsoe and allow him to get rid of the ball quicker. However, Bledsoe, who had just one completion for over 20 yards last week, has to take some chances downfield. If he doesn't, Oakland will stack the line of scrimmage with eight men and crowd the short-to-intermediate routes.

WR Eric Moulds will have some problems getting behind DC Charles Woodson, so Bledsoe should look for No. 3 Lee Evans when taking a shot in the vertical passing game. Evans is raw and he'll struggle to get open underneath working against veteran nickel back Denard Walker, but Walker isn't fast enough to run with him downfield.

With the Bills' running game forcing Oakland's safeties to play closer to the line of scrimmage and the Raiders' depth at corner, Bledsoe should look for TE Mark Campbell early and often. Campbell doesn't have ideal speed but he should have some success getting open working against SS Marques Anderson, especially off of play-action. Anderson has a history of getting caught out of position, and that flaw should only be amplified by the fact that he was acquired on Sept. 3 and is still relatively new to the system. In addition, Campbell runs with good power and should be productive after the catch, as Anderson is an inconsistent tackler

When the Raiders have the ball

Oakland will continue to pound the ball between the tackles with RB Tyrone Wheatley in an effort to stay balanced and keep Buffalo honest, but Wheatley shouldn't have much success working against the Bills. DTs Sam Adams and Pat Williams have the bulk to clog up the middle and Wheatley lacks the burst to consistently turn the corner.

Expect backup RB Justin Fargas to continue to get an ample amount of carries in relief as well. Although the Bills have the speed at linebacker to prevent the explosive Fargas from breaking some long runs, he will help keep Buffalo on its toes and Wheatley fresh late in the game.

Head coach Norv Turner is a former offensive coordinator who does an excellent job of keeping defenses off balance. One of the ways he and offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye will keep the Bills guessing is to mix up the play calling on first and second down. If Buffalo doesn't know whether to expect run or pass, the front seven won't be nearly as aggressive. In addition, the Bills rotate Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denney at left end because they like Kelsay's ability to defend the run and Denney's ability to rush the passer. Buffalo will have a harder time deciding who to put on the field if it can't anticipate what the Raiders are going to run.

Passing:

QB Rich Gannon, who threw to 11 different receivers last week, does an excellent job of spreading the ball around and he won't allow the Bills to focus on stopping one receiver. This approach should be effective because Oakland doesn't have much proven depth, but WRs Alvis Whitted, Doug Gabriel and Carlos Francis are all playmakers. If the veteran Gannon sees any one of them in a favorable single-coverage matchup, he will exploit it.

WRs Jerry Porter and Jerry Rice won't have as much success getting open working against DCs Nate Clements and Troy Vincent. Clements has the speed to run with Porter downfield and Vincent has the strength to prevent Rice from getting into his routes quickly. With that in mind TEs Doug Jolley and Teyo Johnson should play big roles. Both are quality receiving tight ends who have the size and athletic ability to make the most of any single-coverage matchups they get working against SS Coy Wire. Wire is playing for Lawyer Milloy, who is out with a broken forearm.

The Raiders' offensive line had some problems adjusting to Pittsburgh's blitz packages last week, and Buffalo defensive coordinator Jerry Gray will bring additional pressure at times. One of the players Gray sends will likely be SLB Jeff Posey, who shows good initial quickness and closing speed to the quarterback. Gannon must recognize the pressure, look for his "hot" read and get rid of the ball if it isn't there. He can't afford to repeat last week's two-interception performance in what should be another very close game.

Scouts' Edge

Both teams are coming off disappointing fourth-quarter losses, but look for the Raiders to be the ones who bounce back this week. The Raiders' offense will struggle to move the ball consistently working against a very stout Buffalo defense. However, Gannon will make enough big plays to put Oakland in a position to win late.

The Bills will look to establish their running game once again and they should have some success to the outside, but the Raiders will tighten up in the red zone and force Buffalo to settle for field goal attempts. In addition, the Bills will have problems making adjustments at the line with this game in Oakland, and look for some miscommunication to result in a penalty, incomplete pass or even a turnover.

I think this may be the game Evans busts out, too, but I don't think you can say that Woodson one on one with Moulds would preclude us from going that way. Moulds in one on one coverage is still dangerous, I don't care who the CB is. All I know is that we need to play aggressive and hold on to the ball.

think this may be the game Evans busts out, too, but I don't think you can say that Woodson one on one with Moulds would preclude us from going that way.
I think they get Moulds free by early passes to Reed and Evans, or sending Moulds across the field and go for YAC.

If the Raider OLB's have trouble operating in space their gonna love the Bills passing game. But then again, who knows what happens once the ball is snapped.
Some of the plays that didn't work vs. Jags are going to work vs. their OLBs.

Some of the plays that didn't work vs. Jags are going to work vs. their OLBs.

33037[/snapback]

Hope so... I was very impressed with the Jags LBs. I knew Petersen was good, but Adoleye (sp?) was very nice. I don't remember him from last year, that guy was fast & all over the field.

Very good preview.

I agree with them, I worry Gannons pump fakes are going to confuse Wire/Reese.... And, Bledsoe not having anyone to throw to with Moulds being shut down by Woodson.

33263[/snapback]

Well, if you listen to the Coy Wire critics on this board, Gannon shouldn't be able to confuse Wire because he never gets around to looking at the QB anyway! :)

Well, if you listen to the Coy Wire critics on this board, Gannon shouldn't be able to confuse Wire because he never gets around to looking at the QB anyway!  :)

33323[/snapback]

Good point! Anyway you look at at, Gannon has to be licking his chops when he sees film on Wire :) ...

I really hope Lawyer is back for the Pats game.

Very good preview.

They got everything right about us.

I agree with them, I worry Gannons pump fakes are going to confuse Wire/Reese.... And, Bledsoe not having anyone to throw to with Moulds being shut down by Woodson.

33263[/snapback]

That's how they got their 2 TD's against Pittsburgh. The exact same play twice. Look for them to get at least one like this on Sunday.