Offensive Line stat Question

brihs2005

Is there any good website that keeps offensive line stats, or has anyone that has been watching game film broken down the O-line stats. I know big MW is hurt, but i think he is a solid starter in this league. As well i can't recall a single really bad play Gandy has made (i was at two games, so it would be hard for me to notice tiny mistakes, so you can correct me if i am wrong). I think we can all say that our O-Line has been underproducing and not effective enough, but i am looking towards next season when Teague is a FA. I think we will need to shore up the center of our O-Line if everything stays status quo.

Your thoughts, or anyone know where to get said stats?

What I don't understand is how our line can be so good with run blocking yet suck so badly with pass blocking. It just seems counterintuitive to me. If you can move bodies enough to make holes for Willis, why can't you stand your ground and give the QB some time to throw??

Different techniques of course. You already know this i am sure, but coming off the ball and pushing bodies, is much different than backpedaling to create a pocket. Pass blocking is more suited for a finesse Oline... which we do not have... we have maulers, which is great if we can get an early lead.

Different techniques of course.  You already know this i am sure, but coming off the ball and pushing bodies, is much different than backpedaling to create a pocket.  Pass blocking is more suited for a finesse Oline... which we do not have... we have maulers, which is great if we can get an early lead.

460666[/snapback]

That makes sense, I guess I'm just continually surprised at how much difference there is in performance. Obviously they have to be doing something right with the running game since both Travis and Willis have run for big yards.....I just can't believe how badly they suck when it comes to pass blocking. I guess the two techniques are just more different than I give them credit for.

That makes sense, I guess I'm just continually surprised at how much difference there is in performance. Obviously they have to be doing something right with the running game since both Travis and Willis have run for big yards.....I just can't believe how badly they suck when it comes to pass blocking. I guess the two techniques are just more different than I give them credit for.

460668[/snapback]

Well go up to a wall, start in a three point stance and dive forward with both hands out as if you were drive blocking. Then start again in a 3 point stance and come off the ball backing up with wide steps, keeping your back low to keep balance and position with your arms spread wide. Its a B word.

it should be easier to go up against the wall... then imagine a 300 pound massive human being doing it... I am sure glad i was a tight end that couldn't block so i only played on passing downs.

Well go up to a wall, start in a three point stance and dive forward with both hands out as if you were drive blocking.  Then start again in a 3 point stance and come off the ball backing up with wide steps, keeping your back low to keep balance and position with your arms spread wide.  Its a B word. 

it should be easier to go up against the wall... then imagine a 300 pound massive human being doing it...  I am sure glad i was a tight end that couldn't block so i only played on passing downs.

460681[/snapback]

I played defensive end in HS, so I never had much experience blocking.....lol

The problem with the OL is not that they cant pass block and its not that they cant run block, its that they cant seem to do both in one game.

One game they pass block well, but suffer at run blocking, then the next game they run block great but cant pass block.

They need to put it together. I think they have a nice young left side of the OL, they just need to sure up that Center, RG, and RT spots. SHouldnt be too hard.

What I don't understand is how our line can be so good with run blocking yet suck so badly with pass blocking. It just seems counterintuitive to me. If you can move bodies enough to make holes for Willis, why can't you stand your ground and give the QB some time to throw??

460664[/snapback]

It is easy my friend.

Offensive linemen know the count. On running plays, they are able to fire out and hit their opponent. A big plodding stiff ala Jamie Nails can hurt his opponent because he is ever so strong, and not much dexterity is needed.

On passing downs, agility is required in addition to brute strength. The blocker is generally moving backwards, and monkey wrenches are there in the form of blitzes.

Others disagree, but the best LT I have ever seen is Orlando Pace. He was of course the first pick of his draft. Orlando came from Ohio State, a school known for a grinding it out via running game. When he got to the NFL, he proved to be a great pass protector; SO great, that he offered his Arena League QB an opportunity to virtually disregard his blind side and win a superbowl.

The Rams have spent mega-millions on Pace, and he is worth every penny.

The Bills are throwing this kind of money at Mike Williams, a good, but often sluggish RT. You see the difference?

Our beloved Bills will not be champions, let alone a playoff team until the brass concentrates on bringing in men who can block in the NFL.

Want a ray of hope? Steve Hutchinson, perhaps the best OG in football, will be a ufa after this season. TD should offer this man a wheel barrel full of money. Then, he should find us a LT. There are many said to be going in the 1st round of the 06 draft.

Another thought would be to get Peters in the lineup ASAP to see if he can play. Gandy is a journeyman; a castoff from a lousy team, and his body seems to break down. He is not the future of the Bills at LT. If Peters can play, it would be a score beyond belief at his price tag!

In any event, let's hope that the current Bills OL gets their act together today.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is easy my friend.

Offensive linemen know the count. On running plays, they are able to fire out and hit their opponent. A big plodding stiff ala Jamie Nails can hurt his opponent because he is ever so strong, and not much dexterity is needed.

On passing downs, agility is required in addition to brute strength. The blocker is generally moving backwards, and monkey wrenches are there in the form of blitzes.

Others disagree, but the best LT I have ever seen is Orlando Pace. He was of course the first pick of his draft. Orlando came from Ohio State, a school known for a grinding it out via running game. When he got to the NFL, he proved to be a great pass protector; SO great, that he offered his Arena League QB an opportunity to virtually disregard his blind side and win a superbowl.

The Rams have spent mega-millions on Pace, and he is worth every penny.

The Bills are throwing this kind of money at Mike Williams, a good, but often sluggish RT. You see the difference?

Our beloved Bills will not be champions, let alone a playoff team until the brass concentrates on bringing in men who can block in the NFL.

Want a ray of hope? Steve Hutchinson, perhaps the best OG in football, will be a ufa after this season. TD should offer this man a wheel barrel full of money. Then, he should find us a LT. There are many said to be going in the 1st round of the 06 draft.

Another thought would be to get Peters in the lineup ASAP to see if he can play. Gandy is a journeyman; a castoff from a lousy team, and his body seems to break down. He is not the future of the Bills at LT. If Peters can play, it would be a score beyond belief at his price tag!

In any event, let's hope that the current Bills OL gets their act together today.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

460864[/snapback]

Well said Bill. Eventually there are holes on the line that we have to fill. We can't throw players into the Offensive line hoping that they're going to be the answer. We have to go out and sign a player like Steve Hutchinson.