A lot can change in a season.

ofiba

Bills

I made this post last year after the Bills lost their 4th game in a row to open their season. I'm not trying to say "Look at me, I somewhat called the Bills hot finish." I'm posting this so that everyone looks at the responses. Of course, it seemed a crazy idea at the time. Everyone kept saying that based on those 4 games, there is no way we could win 9 games. People had that team written off just like they are writing this years team off. Granted, we still didn't make the playoffs last year. But remember, that team started 1-5. This team has a chance to start 2-2 and be in a much better postion. We all know the defense has the talent. As long as the line gels a little bit, and JP starts to get comfortable, this team's got plenty of upside.

Nice to see some optimism.....I think you're going to be right again this year. The loss of Takeo hurts like hell, but our defense is still in the upper tier w/out him. We have a lot of talent on that side of the ball. If JP can find a way to let loose, and if Willis can continue to pile up yards, I don't see why we can't make the playoffs. The Atlanta game really kicked me in the gut.....in some ways even more than the Pittsburgh game last year.....but I'm ready for tomorrow and psyched for JP getting one game closer to being the QB that most of us feel he can be.

Great post!

PS. Can anoyone believe that FREZ was actually in that old thread casting doom and gloom? Like an old broken record.....

I agree. It is way too early to write this season off. From some of the interviews I have read with regards to J.P. it sounds like he is in a much better place mentally than he was in weeks 2 and 3. It sounds like he is gonna come out and throw the ball like we saw him do in the preseason win against the packers. We all know he can throw now its time for him to show us. He doesn't seem to be too concerned with throwing picks at this point which is good. Put up the ball and let the receivers do thier jobs and catch it. If he does throw a pick it will be up to the "D" to force the opposing "O" to go 3 and out. When we are still having these issues at the half way point of the season then mybe it will be time to write it off.

I agree. It is way too early to write this season off. From some of the interviews I have read with regards to J.P. it sounds like he is in a much better place mentally than he was in weeks 2 and 3. It sounds like he is gonna come out and throw the ball like we saw him do in the preseason win against the packers. We all know he can throw now its time for him to show us. He doesn't seem to be too concerned with throwing picks at this point which is good. Put up the ball and let the receivers do thier jobs and catch it. If he does throw a pick it will be up to the "D" to force the opposing "O" to go 3 and out. When we are still having these issues at the half way point of the season then mybe it will be time to write it off.

460486[/snapback]

Exactly....and what kills me is that most of us pretty much expected things to get off to a rocky start.....we knew that was going to happen as soon as JP was given the starting job! I think if you look at the season thus far, it's clear that the defense has let us down more than JP has. Either way, it is still early and there is plenty of time for us to right the ship. The fact that JP already has his first win is huge, too.

I agree with you about JP's menality, too. It sounds like Wyche has been reminding him about the type of QB his was in college, and the fact that he was known for being more accurate than not. I think it's good for him to remember that, cause it's something he's already proven to himself. From a psychological perspective, it's sort of like an anchor for him. I just hope that with all this talk that there is a difference in how he plays tomorrow. He gets set up very quickly, but he needs to get rid of the ball faster. That was clear during the Atlanta game last week. I think I'd rather see him throw picks along with TDs instead of throwing neither, too.

Nice to see some optimism.....I think you're going to be right again this year. The loss of Takeo hurts like hell, but our defense is still in the upper tier w/out him. We have a lot of talent on that side of the ball. If JP can find a way to let loose, and if Willis can continue to pile up yards, I don't see why we can't make the playoffs. The Atlanta game really kicked me in the gut.....in some ways even more than the Pittsburgh game last year.....but I'm ready for tomorrow and psyched for JP getting one game closer to being the QB that most of us feel he can be.

Great post!

PS. Can anoyone believe that FREZ was actually in that old thread casting doom and gloom? Like an old broken record.....

460484[/snapback]

Is this a ........... "I told you so" thing?

Don't you get sick of losing?

what if he throws picks and no tds  B-)

460519[/snapback]

That would suck.....I just don't think that's going to happen. JP's game should translate to the pros with some time. He's quick on his feet, he has a very quick release, and he's smart. I really think he just needs experience.

460511[/snapback]

I don't like losing at all.....but what I can't tolerate is complacency and indifference. Our team - from Ralph, all the way to the fan base - is the exact opposite. Our team has been aggressive in the draft and free agency to build us a winner. TD is clearly trying to bring us as much talent as possible. We just haven't put it all together yet. While that IS frustrating, and as much as we all are dying for some success, I just don't think that the losses should make you lose sight of the overall picture. There is no guarantee in the NFL that just because you bring in a new GM, or a new coach, new owner, etc., that things are going to be turned around in three years. The fact is that TD makes good, smart decisions. He uses his resources well and has put together a talented team. We just haven't gotten over the hump yet, but hopefully with either more experience for JP or further changes, we'll get there. I just think it's wrong to think that change equals "better".....it doesn't. I like the fact that we make moves, and while TD gives someone enough time to be fair, he also isn't afraid to scrap it and try again.

Look at a team like the Texans, for example. Charlie Casserly was considered one of the best GMs in pro sports. What have they done exactly? Do you like their roster better than ours? Do you like their chances this year better than ours? What about the Lions? Matt Millen was a bit of a reach, but they've had Mariucci in there and they have had some pretty high draft picks to play with. Most people have graded their drafts pretty well over the past few years. Where are they?? What about the Redskins and all that money? So far, they have done very little.

The bottom line is that patience is truly a virtue. TD has done far more right than he's done wrong. And most of what you'd probably consider "wrong" looked right at the time he did it. The losses are painful, but I believe that we're going to build on last year and end up winning more than we lose.

I don't like losing at all.....but what I can't tolerate is complacency and indifference. Our team - from Ralph, all the way to the fan base - is the exact opposite. Our team has been aggressive in the draft and free agency to build us a winner. TD is clearly trying to bring us as much talent as possible. We just haven't put it all together yet. While that IS frustrating, and as much as we all are dying for some success, I just don't think that the losses should make you lose sight of the overall picture. There is no guarantee in the NFL that just because you bring in a new GM, or a new coach, new owner, etc., that things are going to be turned around in three years. The fact is that TD makes good, smart decisions. He uses his resources well and has put together a talented team. We just haven't gotten over the hump yet, but hopefully with either more experience for JP or further changes, we'll get there. I just think it's wrong to think that change equals "better".....it doesn't. I like the fact that we make moves, and while TD gives someone enough time to be fair, he also isn't afraid to scrap it and try again.

Look at a team like the Texans, for example. Charlie Casserly was considered one of the best GMs in pro sports. What have they done exactly? Do you like their roster better than ours? Do you like their chances this year better than ours? What about the Lions? Matt Millen was a bit of a reach, but they've had Mariucci in there and they have had some pretty high draft picks to play with. Most people have graded their drafts pretty well over the past few years. Where are they??  What about the Redskins and all that money? So far, they have done very little.

The bottom line is that patience is truly a virtue. TD has done far more right than he's done wrong. And most of what you'd probably consider "wrong" looked right at the time he did it. The losses are painful, but I believe that we're going to build on last year and end up winning more than we lose.

460529[/snapback]

If we go 6-10 this year what will the excuses be?

Rookie QB

Injuries

Does Donahoe get another free pass again this year?

460511[/snapback]

Of course we get tired of losing. But given the fact that you have just been called out on your predicton of what was possible and impossible last season, wouldn't just a little more humility on your part be in order?

You could easily be right. But you could also be wrong. I don't expect you to change your attitude toward Donohoe and the Bills. But you've made your point (repeatedly) and to keep banging that same drum gets tiresome.

If we go 6-10 this year what will the excuses be?

Rookie QB

Injuries

Does Donahoe get another free pass again this year?

460537[/snapback]

Yes. And next year he'll get to use the 'Salary-Cap Jail' excuse again when he explains why we cut/lose Moulds, Clement, Williams, ...

Yes.  And next year he'll get to use the 'Salary-Cap Jail' excuse again when he explains why we cut/lose Moulds, Clement, Williams, ...

460549[/snapback]

Salary cap jail would be a good guess. It seems to be Tommy Boy's favorite excuse, though it certainly WAS a legitimate excuse early in his tenure:

Year 1: salary cap jail, Rob Johnson

Year 2: salary cap jail, Eddie Robinson

Year 3: Gregg Williams, Kevin Gilbride

Year 4: Mike Mularkey's first year, Drew Bledsoe

Year 5: JP Losman’s first year, TKO's Achilles tendon??

Year 6: Fill in the blank...

Years 7-??: won't be a year 7 or beyond if we don't make the playoffs by next season

Year 4: Mike Mularkey's first year, Drew Bledsoe

460584[/snapback]

That's funny....I was pretty sure we were a winning team last year B-)

That's funny....I was pretty sure we were a winning team last year  B-)

460585[/snapback]

A winning team that nevertheless missed the playoffs and folded badly against nearly all of the upper tier AFC competition on the schedule.

What are you today, the Optimism Crusader?

The negativity on this board will stop as soon as the fans are given some sort of evidence that this team is on the right track under Tom Donahoe. I can't speak for every fan here, but for me evidence will be in the form of a single playoff appearance at some point during his stay as Bills GM.

A winning team that nevertheless missed the playoffs and folded badly against nearly all of the upper tier AFC competition on the schedule.

What are you today, the Optimism Crusader?

The negativity on this board will stop as soon as the fans are given some sort of evidence that this team is on the right track under Tom Donahoe. I can't speak for every fan here, but for me evidence will be in the form of a single playoff appearance at some point during his stay as Bills GM.

460622[/snapback]

Hell yes I'm the optimism crusader.....the season JUST STARTED. Can't you F'ers enjoy the fact that there is still a lot of hope for the rest of the year? And for the record, I don't take issue with people who post negative stuff.....I take issue with people who ONLY post negative stuff. It just gets to the point when you begin to wonder about their childhood, or whether you should call Charter on their behalf! It just makes no sense to me that people are already jumping ship....it's WEEK FRIGGIN FOUR!! lol

In the words of Nick Saban....."GIVE 'EM A CHANCE!!"

Hell yes I'm the optimism crusader.....the season JUST STARTED. Can't you F'ers enjoy the fact that there is still a lot of hope for the rest of the year? And for the record, I don't take issue with people who post negative stuff.....I take issue with people who ONLY post negative stuff. It just gets to the point when you begin to wonder about their childhood, or whether you should call Charter on their behalf!  It just makes no sense to me that people are already jumping ship....it's WEEK FRIGGIN FOUR!! lol 

In the words of Nick Saban....."GIVE 'EM A CHANCE!!"

460631[/snapback]

I don't have a problem with your optimism at all. I just wonder why you feel the urge to call out every single poster who says something negative. Couldn't you just ignore them, or do you feel that you can singlehandedly stop it all with a few clicks of the mouse and a few punches of the keyboard?

The season is young. You are 100% correct on that, and I still share a lot of your optimism...believe it or not. Otherwise, why would I bother continuing with this thread?

But I also have no problem with Bills fans being critical of their team, one that has been seemingly spinning its wheels ever since year 2 of the TD regime. If they/we need to vent the frustration at times, so be it...

I don't have a problem with your optimism at all. I just wonder why you feel the urge to call out every single poster who says something negative. Couldn't you just ignore them, or do you feel that you can singlehandedly stop it all with a few clicks of the mouse and a few punches of the keyboard?

The season is young. You are 100% correct on that, and I still share a lot of your optimism...believe it or not. Otherwise, why would I bother continuing with this thread?

But I also have no problem with Bills fans being critical of their team, one that has been seemingly spinning its wheels ever since year 2 of the TD regime. If they/we need to vent the frustration at times, so be it...

460639[/snapback]

All of us are critical of the team from time to time, myself included. I felt paralyzed after the loss last week and I was pissed off at Mularkey and the defense. I totally agree with your point about needing to vent at times.

It's just such a drag sometimes when certain people ONLY post negative comments....EVERYTHING that comes out of their mouth is negative. It's like they're opportunists just waiting to hack on the team, or TD, or Ralph Wilson, or WHOMEVER, the minute something goes bad. If you want to post negative sh*t, then go ahead.....obviously it's not up to me what people post or don't post. I just can't imagine how anyone can throw in the towel after three damn games, that's all.