So before the season there was a lot of talk

but now that we may actually need him to take the field at some point I haven't heard anything. In camp, I kept hearing that he was a beast and that he might make an impact this year (albeit on special teams) but for some reason I have not heard his name once this past week. Anyone have any insight into his abilities or chances of gaining playing time?

Guest BackInDaDay
but now that we may actually need him to take the field at some point I haven't heard anything.  In camp, I kept hearing that he was a beast and that he might make an impact this year (albeit on special teams) but for some reason I have not heard his name once this past week.  Anyone have any insight into his abilities or chances of gaining playing time?

459964[/snapback]

Not me, but I thought it was rude of us to keep you hangin' without a reply. <_<

My sense was that Stamer was a good sub last year who had a lot to offer on ST and even showed some on field skills from time to time as in the athleticism he showed on his INT last year where he tipped a pass and caught it for the INT.

However, I think many of the rants that he was good enough to start came not from anything anyone saw formally in his play (this is why it gets very quiet when someone asks for specific examples of Stamer's play) but instead because folks wanted to see Posey sat down or even cut.

Its hard to prove a negative so explaining Stamer's limitations is tough. Its hard to make the case for Posey over Stamer because Posey's positives do no appear to be the usual stat sheet positives (sack or INT numvers) but other intangibles about play quality where what the coaches judge is infinitely more important than waht us fans think we see.

Overall, i think the positives which Posey showed over Stamer were:

1. Posey did better and quicker reads of the O. its not surprising since Posey has a few years of experience over Staner and is particularly cruicial to making the Bills D function (which it has not the last two games but Posey does not seem to be the main issue in this failure). The OLB position in question is one that I think CD Nuttan has it right when he calls this position "The Keeper." The Keeper's job in the gray zone blitz appears to be of that player filling a gap at the POA on a run play or dropping back in zone coverage when he reads pass. This player will not rack up a bunch of sacks and when he has done his job the QB does not even throw a pass in his direction because he clearly has the play covered.

Up until the outage the last two games, Posey (with Denny as his backup often it seemed) was doing a great job making reads and Stamer showed no indicvation he could do better.

2. Posey is a couple of inches taller.

3. Posey is faster than Stamer.

The interesting thing is the switches in the Bills depth chart after the injury to Spikes. Rather than staying on the outside (either stepping up as our stating WLB or being back-up SLB). It is former back-up MLB Crowell moving into Spikes spot and Stamer moving to back-up MLB,

The Bills seem to view the LBs as pretty interchangeable inside or middle and within the hierarchy, Crowell is the 4th best LB and on the field to back-up not only Spikes but Fletcher. it is unclear whether it is Stamer of Haggan who is seen as our 5th best LB by the coaches (my guess it is Stamer) but the injury to Spikes means he is going to be asked to step up and play position more and likely we will look for some leadership and stud plays from him on ST as well.

alright I had to dig in the archives. Here are some of the comments. and yes, it appears that many of them are more anti-Posey than pro-Stamer:

The reason this matters a lot right now, is that Stamer is playing out of his shorts and Crowell has looked pretty good too. I'd much rather see Stamer pushing Posey (who is a real weak link in my mind - whenever I focus on him, he looks bad - and he never makes big plays). Stamer will never get any real time behind Spikes, barring injury. I'd also like to see Crowell backing up Spikes, as he's got some good speed, and Haggan in the middle where he can be pushed by Ezekial for a key backup/future starter spot. I like Haggan as a special teamer and a give-your-starter a breather guy. But I don't think he plays fast enough to start. Maybe he'd be a decent SAM, but Stamer looks a lot better at this point.

Anyway, where the heck are they playing right now? Is the official info right (making me an idiot)? I hope so, because I would love to see Stamer take over that SAM spot by opening day

Then again, I'd like to see more pass rushing from the strong side, and if this is more of Posey's fault than Jerry Gray's, yeah I guess I'd be all for Stamer getting a shot. No doubt Stamer has the attitude and intensity of a pass rusher!

The player I look most forward to seeing is Josh Stamer playing OLB in place of Posey. If I see the Green Bay TD one more time(NFL Network has been running it during one of their promos for preseason games) where Favre made Posey look "Eddie Robinson like", I'm going to puke.

are there still people outside of the Bills Org that don't believe that Stamer is a better player?

Watching what I did friday night furthers my belief that Stamer should be the starter and posey should be on ST and pass rushing downs. stamer is quiker, stronger, is a better blitzer, and is better in coverage.

I could go on but I won't. <_<

My sense was that Stamer was a good sub last year who had a lot to offer on ST and even showed some on field skills from time to time as in the athleticism he showed on his INT last year where he tipped a pass and caught it for the INT.

However, I think many of the rants that he was good enough to start came not from anything anyone saw formally in his play (this is why it gets very quiet when someone asks for specific examples of Stamer's play) but instead because folks wanted to see Posey sat down or even cut.

Its hard to prove a negative so explaining Stamer's limitations is tough.  Its hard to make the case for Posey over Stamer because Posey's positives do no appear to be the usual stat sheet positives (sack or INT numvers) but other intangibles about play quality where what the coaches judge is infinitely more important than waht us fans think we see.

Overall, i think the positives which Posey showed over Stamer were:

1. Posey did better and quicker reads of the O. its not surprising since Posey has a few years of experience over Staner and is particularly cruicial to making the Bills D function (which it has not the last two games but Posey does not seem to be the main issue in this failure). The OLB position in question is one that I think CD Nuttan has it right when he calls this position "The Keeper."  The Keeper's job in the gray zone blitz appears to be of that player filling a gap at the POA on a run play or dropping back in zone coverage when he reads pass. This player will not rack up a bunch of sacks and when he has done his job the QB does not even throw a pass in his direction because he clearly has the play covered.

Up until the outage the last two games, Posey (with Denny as his backup often it seemed) was doing a great job making reads and Stamer showed no indicvation he could do better.

2. Posey is a couple of inches taller.

3. Posey is faster than Stamer.

The interesting thing is the switches in the Bills depth chart after the injury to Spikes.  Rather than staying on the outside (either stepping up as our stating WLB or being back-up SLB). It is former back-up MLB Crowell moving into Spikes spot and Stamer moving to back-up MLB,

The Bills seem to view the LBs as pretty interchangeable inside or middle and within the hierarchy, Crowell is the 4th best LB and on the field to back-up not only Spikes but Fletcher. it is unclear whether it is Stamer of Haggan who is seen as our 5th best LB by the coaches (my guess it is Stamer) but the injury to Spikes means he is going to be asked to step up and play position more and likely we will look for some leadership and stud plays from him on ST as well.

460132[/snapback]

By the way FFS you are very consistant in your opinion on this matter. You had many similar statements in the archives. Good job <_<