FEMA to reimburse religious charities

KD in CA

And the reasoning behind this bull sh-- idea is...?  :devil:

458725[/snapback]

So if a private group funded by charitable donations takes on some hurricane relief, the government pays for it? How does that make sense? Why bother even having chartiable organizations? Just have the federal government pay for everything.

This gets a big WTF from me.  :devil:    This sets a terrible precedent, creating yet another excuse to give the taxpayers’ money away.

For the record, I am saying:  Bush bad!  ;)

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/editorial/3374289

458700[/snapback]

I have to agree, this is one of the most assinine ideas I have heard of in a long time. A major reason I give to charities is I feel they perform necessary services more efficiently than the government does.

This makes about as much sense as government creating VOLUNTEERS of America and then PAYING the volunteers.

Dave.

A major reason I give to charities is I feel they perform necessary services more efficiently than the government does.

458795[/snapback]

Exactly. Federalizing charitable organizations is ridiculous. It does not matter if they are faith-based or secular. Terrible idea.

So if a private group funded by charitable donations takes on some hurricane relief, the government pays for it? How does that make sense? Why bother even having chartiable organizations? Just have the federal government pay for everything.

458730[/snapback]

So if I give money to a charity, they spend my donation, the government reimburses them...haven't I effectively then donated twice, since it's my tax dollars reimbursing them for spending what was my donation in the first place? :devil:

This may quite possibly be the stupidest idea I've ever heard come out of the federal government.

So if I give money to a charity, they spend my donation, the government reimburses them...haven't I effectively then donated twice, since it's my tax dollars reimbursing them for spending what was my donation in the first place?  :devil:

This may quite possibly be the stupidest idea I've ever heard come out of the federal government.

459051[/snapback]

This makes me less likely to give to charity, since the charities are just agents of the government.

Just to play a little devil's advocate, It's not supposed to be a permanent thing. It's been a unique situation, and Houston Mayor Bill White says the extended length of the emergency has stretched the capabilities of some groups to the breaking point. These groups performed what they could when the government organizations were blundering and failing. Why not reimbuse them now so they can continue to exist and perform in the future?