Is Check/Raise a Valid Poker Strategy?

Meathead

Is Check/Raise a Valid Poker Strategy?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Is Check/Raise a Valid Poker Strategy?

• Yes
    • No

The reason why it's logic is simple - there are more cards worth 10 in the deck than any other.  There is a MUCH greater chance of hitting and getting a card worth 10 than getting any other card in the deck.  This is why more times than not, it hurts the other people at your table if you hit when you shouldnt.

Let me know if I’m misstating your premise but I think you’re saying that a bad player will take 10’s away from you. Is that right?

If so, that logic appears faulty. Consider the following:

Face cards = 16 of 52 cards = 30%

Face + Ace = 20 of 52 cards = 38%

2 through 9 = 32 of 52 cards = 66%

2 through 8 = 28 of 52 cards = 54%

2 through 7 = 24 of 52 cards = 46%

2 through 6 = 20 of 52 cards = 38%

So even if you count “good” cards as 10 through Ace and “bad” cards as 2 through 6, it’s still exactly even.

Furthermore, bad players don’t just make hit errors. They make other errors as well that may give you a card you need.

There is no comparison between check raising and making a bad play anchoring a black jack table and taking the dealers bust card. The former is great strategy and the later is pure idiocy. People cry all the time when you beat them. Bunch of punk ass sore losers. Bluffs and over the tops are part of the game too. A good poker player can smell weakness. Its all how you bet. You might be bluffing a check raise and make someone lay down a big hand. Thats poker. If someone ever cried to me that I check raised and schooled their ass at poker I would tell them to add a how to play poker book and some tissues to their shopping list

Let me know if I’m misstating your premise but I think you’re saying that a bad player will take 10’s away from you. Is that right?

If so, that logic appears faulty. Consider the following:

Face cards = 16 of 52 cards = 30%

Face + Ace = 20 of 52 cards = 38%

2 through 9 = 32 of 52 cards = 66%

2 through 8 = 28 of 52 cards = 54%

2 through 7 = 24 of 52 cards = 46%

2 through 6 = 20 of 52 cards = 38%

So even if you count “good” cards as 10 through Ace and “bad” cards as 2 through 6, it’s still exactly even.

Furthermore, bad players don’t just make hit errors. They make other errors as well that may give you a card you need.

452397[/snapback]

Not quite that simple. For one the dealers usually use 5-7 decks. The more +10s in the deck the better odds for the table. You make your money at black jack when the dealer busts and when you double down or split when the advantage is yours. Its all about the dealer busting. Lets say the bet player 1 $200, player 2$100, player 3 $100 player 4 $25, player 5 $25, player 6 $100, anchor $50. Dealer shows 6, anchor 13. The anchor would be an idiot if he hit there(unless he has a photographic memory and he calculates the deck is in his favor). I would be rip sh-- if he took the dealers bust card and I was player 1-6. If you dont know how to play blackjack stick to the $1 tables and get the !@#$ off $25+ tables. One of the dumbest plays I have seen is some bimbo split Qs, drew a Q, split that and ended up losing all 3 hands while taking 6 10 cards(ie bust cards) :lol:

Some poker players consider this to be a breach of unwritten poker etiquitte. Do you?

452198[/snapback]

:lol:

No such thing as a breach of etiquitte in Poker. Bottom line, win the hand. Depending on the hand, check-raise can be a solid play. If someone is pissed because of it, it means they walked into it. Checking is as much a strategy as betting.

Regarding non-basic strategy play at blackjack, someone who doesn't know how to play is just as likely to help you with his decisions as he is to screw you over. I researched this several years ago before I went to Biloxi for the first time.

I'll agree with everyone here that it is an acceptable and sometimes necessary strategy in poker, however it is an unwritten rule that it's considered impolite to check-raise at a home game with friends.

452607[/snapback]

Yep. And then, at the end of the night, everyone gets all their money back. Then, before everyone leaves for the night...they get a hug.

Not quite that simple.  For one the dealers usually use 5-7 decks.  The more +10s in the deck the better odds for the table.  You make your money at black jack when the dealer busts and when you double down or split when the advantage is yours.  Its all about the dealer busting.  Lets say the bet player 1 $200, player 2$100, player 3 $100 player 4 $25, player 5 $25, player 6 $100, anchor $50.    Dealer shows 6, anchor 13.  The anchor would be an idiot if he hit there(unless he has a photographic memory and he calculates the deck is in his favor).  I would be rip sh-- if he took the dealers bust card and I was player 1-6.  If you dont know how to play blackjack stick to the $1 tables and get the !@#$ off $25+ tables.  One of the dumbest plays I have seen is some bimbo split Qs, drew a Q, split that and ended up losing all 3 hands while taking 6 10 cards(ie bust cards) :flirt:

452517[/snapback]

No, i'm with meathead on this one...the anchor can help of hurt you about equally...you keep complaining about him taking "bust cards", but what happens when the dealer is sittin at 15, and the anchor hits on 13 and gets a 6? Then the dealer hits and draws a an 8 or something...if the anchor doesnt hit, then the dealer has 21 and everyone loses...your logic is a bit flawed...

also, meathead is right about the % of 10-cards in the deck...