Petition Against Wireless "Luxury" Tax

Alaska Darin

Can these form letters be effective?

451114[/snapback]

EFF (Electronic Freedom Foundation) uses them all the time -- although the form you fill out actually gets sent to congressmen, senators, etc. I get lots of mail from government officials now because of joining the EFF. <_<

http://www.eff.org

It all depends on what happens when you sign the form; if it's just a petition, nothing will probably happen.

CW

Just curiously... How much revenue is actually generated and what is it used for? Is it to pay for the FCC?

That said, I'm contacting my Senators/Congressman... I don't think there should be any taxes on telecommunications - get those fees from the licenses... it'd be more efficient. How much of the tax do they spend collecting the tax? probably a fair chunk...

The sooner the better.  I need some new sneakers.

451895[/snapback]

Tell me about it. I used to pay nine bucks for a pair of Chuck Taylor All Stars. Now they go for $34. Talk about price gouging.

In the end, our only real luxury is the luxury to toss a brick through a window and take what you want. That's freedom, brother!

I'm not sure what the tax is and I'd advise anyone to become familiar with what the tax is before signing a petition against it (or for it). BTW, ANYTHING sponsered by Rick Santorum should be questioned.

I'm not sure what the tax is and I'd advise anyone to become familiar with what the tax is before signing a petition against it (or for it).  BTW, ANYTHING sponsered by Rick Santorum should be questioned.

451950[/snapback]

The Federal government in this country touches one of every five dollars spent. They have access to more money than all but a handful of entire nations on this planet, yet they manage to spend all that plus a bit more EVERY year. Taxes like this are basically hidden from the populous so they can be wasted far more readily. It's one reason you're still paying a tariff on your home phone despite the fact that that tax was enacted in the 1930s and each American has paid for their share of that infrastructure many times over.

As far as who sponsored it, perhaps you can give us an example of which politicians you actually trust. My list is probably shorter (since the only name on it is Ron Paul) but there aren't many taxes I wouldn't vote to repeal, regardless.