Reluctant kudos to the patsies.....

Bill from NYC

From Pro Football Weekly:

>>>>>New England

With three different starting right tackles — Greg Robinson-Randall, Tom Ashworth and Brandon Gorin — in their three Super Bowl championship seasons, the Patriots have shown a penchant for plugging in spare parts into the offensive line and making it work. Now, with two first-day draft picks in the fold in OLG Logan Mankins and OT Nick Kaczur, it appears as if the Patriots have big plans for both talented rookies. Mankins has clearly impressed Patriots officials and is starting at left guard. We hear that Kaczur represents a guy the New England coaches could perhaps have long-term faith in, and they showed great confidence in him in the opener by playing him at right tackle vs. veteran DE Bobby Hamilton and also using him at the OLT spot when starter Matt Light was sidelined for a couple of series. That means, at least for a few plays, that New England had two rookies on the left side of its line protecting QB Tom Brady.<<<<<<

They seem to be able to find blockers and plug them straight in. A rookie is already subbing for Light at LT. Now, if Light were to leave for greener pastures ala Jennings, one would think that the loss would be less dificult for the pats to absorb.

Who knows, perhaps Preston can play; perhaps even Geisenger. It just irks me to see our arch rival stocking up with players such as the above, and Wilfork on the other side of the ball. :(

Yeah, but what do you know about line play, Bill?

The Pats probably realize that the ability to run the ball and to stop your opponent from doing the same is key to being a championship caliber team. So, where does that all start? Up front. Having good lines is very important. W/out them, you're going to eventually run into trouble, no matter how good your skill players are.

Those talented rookies got schooled big time by Carolina.  That article is ALOT of hype, not much substance.

449438[/snapback]

I wouldn't be awfully surprised if our seasoned veterans were taken to school by Peppers and company, you know?

I just think that they did the smart thing by bringing in the big guys on both sides of the line. As far as I am concerned, this is what builds franchises, not 160 lb. receivers.

As far as I am concerned, this is what builds franchises, not 160 lb. receivers.

449450[/snapback]

And how big is Deion Branch, who was taken in the same round by the Pats that the Bills selected Parrish?

Oh that's right he's 5'9". And he was the SB MVP last year.

I wouldn't be awfully surprised if our seasoned veterans were taken to school by Peppers and company, you know?

I just think that they did the smart thing by bringing in the big guys on both sides of the line. As far as I am concerned, this is what builds franchises, not 160 lb. receivers.

449450[/snapback]

I doubt either of those guys ends up being as good a pro as Duke Preston. You egging for a spot on the TD Haters roster? <_<

I doubt either of those guys ends up being as good a pro as Duke Preston.  You egging for a spot on the TD Haters roster?  :blink:

449506[/snapback]

Is that right? Well, one was the last pick of the 1st round as I recall. What was Duke, a mid 4th? One is starting on the world champs, Duke is sitting behind Benie Anderson (or would it be Trey Teague)?

No, I do not "hate" TD. I have posted time and again that he has made some great trades, had a very good first draft, and some exceptional picks after this.

I can't really think of many GMs who I would rather have in charge of my favorite football team, but I do not worship at his feet either. He has been here for a while now and the OL still looks pretty bad. It HAS to be improved AD! There is simply no choice; not if we are to win a superbowl, or even advance in the playoffs.

I just don't think that midgets are a good nucleus from which to build a football team. I prefer blockers, pass rushers and run stuffers.

How about you? :):(