This is NOT me......

Tom

'I'm going to kill you' for benching football player, police report

-----

Parsippany cops: Dad threatened H.S. coach

'I'm going to kill you'for benching football player, police report

BY STEVE TOBER

SPECIAL TO THE DAILY RECORD

A Parsippany man has been charged with making a terroristic threat after police say he threatened to kill Parsippany High School's football coach for benching his son.

The alleged threats led school officials to postpone Saturday's scheduled football game with West Essex until Sunday, police said.

Parsippany school officials who attended Sunday's game would not comment on the alleged incident in which Robert Stanel, 44, was charged with threatening coach Gerry Moore.

Moore began to respond to a question about it following Sunday's 41-14 loss in North Caldwell to West Essex, but Parsippany athletic director Rob Haraka immediately interceded.

Moore had said that his team's less than stellar second-half performance had "nothing to do with" the incident in question when Haraka quickly stepped in and said no one could talk about it.

"As far as yesterday (is concerned), for security reasons we can't talk about it," he said.

Game postponed

Stanel, 44, was charged with making terroristic threats on Saturday after Moore called the police, authorities said. Authorities said Stanel confronted Moore at Parsippany High School on Saturday morning after the coach benched his son for being five minutes late as the team gathered to board a bus for its scheduled 1:30 p.m. game with West Essex in North Caldwell.

"He threatened to kill him in reference to his son getting benched from the game," Parsippany police Lt. Ed Jasiecki said.

Here is what Stanel said, according to police: "I'm going to ... kill you. ... I'll be coming back for you."

Stanel could not be reached by the Daily Record on Sunday.

"I work construction," The Associated Press reported Stanel as saying on Saturday. "This is just the way we talk. It's a wake-up call."

There was no physical contact between the men, police said.

Police said Moore called them at 10 a.m. on Saturday, and that Stanel was not at the high school by the time they arrived. They said several assistant coaches had been in the room during the alleged confrontation.

Police said Parsippnay school officials decided to postpone Saturday's football game.

Authorities said Stanel turned himself in after municipal court Judge Anthony Frese issued a warrant for his arrest and police contacted him at his home. Stanel was released on $2,500 bail.

Terroristic threats is a fourth-degree crime and carries a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison.

Moore did not appear to be affected by the incident on Sunday as he directed his football team during the game. He wore a head-set, carried a clipboard and barked out orders to players and assistant coaches during the game against heavily favored West Essex, a defending Group 2 state playoff champion.

A couple of security officers were visible near the Red Hawk sideline, and a Parsippany police car was parked near the spot where the team exited the field following the game.

None of the Parsippany players were allowed to comment on the incident. Haraka and at least one security person stood nearby to listen to questions being asked as Red Hawk players were interviewed after the game.

Moore, in his fourth year with the Red Hawks and usually cooperative with the media, is 0-2 this season and 4-28 at Parsippany in what has been considered a massive rebuilding job.

While school officials were silent, others who know Moore expressed concern about the incident.

"For a parent to do that is scary," said Brent Kaiser, the Whippany Park wrestling coach who had Moore on his staff for five years in the 1990s, when Moore was his assistant.

"It makes you think, 'What am I doing here? Is this coaching job worth it?'... I've always thought Gerry was a player's coach. He always had a positive attitude. He stressed discipline, but the kids enjoyed the experience of playing for him. But something like this is scary when it can happen in high school."

He said Moore always had a good relationship with athletes, a sentiment echoed by others.

"Gerry always had the best interest of the kids," said Parsippany's Mike Whalen Sr., whose son, Mike, played running back and linebacker for Moore before graduating from Parsippany last year.

"He tried to preach family and what's important, like life's lessons. Sometimes, situations get out of hand with parents, and this is something that exploded. It's a shame, because it gives the program a slap in the face. The focus on the kids gets lost sometimes. This got out of control. Sometimes, people take it to the extreme."

Daily Record staff writers Abbott Koloff, Rob Jennings and Joe Hofmann contributed to this report.

My kids a re a little younger but do play baseball, soccer, etc. It is funny how some parents and coaches act with the different sports. I just sit back and shake my head.

tmk-nj

Tom

'I'm going to kill you' for benching football player, police report

-----

Parsippany cops: Dad threatened H.S. coach

'I'm going to kill you'for benching football player, police report

BY STEVE TOBER

SPECIAL TO THE DAILY RECORD

A Parsippany man has been charged with making a terroristic threat after police say he threatened to kill Parsippany High School's football coach for benching his son.

The alleged threats led school officials to postpone Saturday's scheduled football game with West Essex until Sunday, police said.

Parsippany school officials who attended Sunday's game would not comment on the alleged incident in which Robert Stanel, 44, was charged with threatening coach Gerry Moore.

Moore began to respond to a question about it following Sunday's 41-14 loss in North Caldwell to West Essex, but Parsippany athletic director Rob Haraka immediately interceded.

Moore had said that his team's less than stellar second-half performance had "nothing to do with" the incident in question when Haraka quickly stepped in and said no one could talk about it.

"As far as yesterday (is concerned), for security reasons we can't talk about it," he said.

Game postponed

Stanel, 44, was charged with making terroristic threats on Saturday after Moore called the police, authorities said. Authorities said Stanel confronted Moore at Parsippany High School on Saturday morning after the coach benched his son for being five minutes late as the team gathered to board a bus for its scheduled 1:30 p.m. game with West Essex in North Caldwell.

"He threatened to kill him in reference to his son getting benched from the game," Parsippany police Lt. Ed Jasiecki said.

Here is what Stanel said, according to police: "I'm going to ... kill you. ... I'll be coming back for you."

Stanel could not be reached by the Daily Record on Sunday.

"I work construction," The Associated Press reported Stanel as saying on Saturday. "This is just the way we talk. It's a wake-up call."

There was no physical contact between the men, police said.

Police said Moore called them at 10 a.m. on Saturday, and that Stanel was not at the high school by the time they arrived. They said several assistant coaches had been in the room during the alleged confrontation.

Police said Parsippnay school officials decided to postpone Saturday's football game.

Authorities said Stanel turned himself in after municipal court Judge Anthony Frese issued a warrant for his arrest and police contacted him at his home. Stanel was released on $2,500 bail.

Terroristic threats is a fourth-degree crime and carries a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison.

Moore did not appear to be affected by the incident on Sunday as he directed his football team during the game. He wore a head-set, carried a clipboard and barked out orders to players and assistant coaches during the game against heavily favored West Essex, a defending Group 2 state playoff champion.

A couple of security officers were visible near the Red Hawk sideline, and a Parsippany police car was parked near the spot where the team exited the field following the game.

None of the Parsippany players were allowed to comment on the incident. Haraka and at least one security person stood nearby to listen to questions being asked as Red Hawk players were interviewed after the game.

Moore, in his fourth year with the Red Hawks and usually cooperative with the media, is 0-2 this season and 4-28 at Parsippany in what has been considered a massive rebuilding job.

While school officials were silent, others who know Moore expressed concern about the incident.

"For a parent to do that is scary," said Brent Kaiser, the Whippany Park wrestling coach who had Moore on his staff for five years in the 1990s, when Moore was his assistant.

"It makes you think, 'What am I doing here? Is this coaching job worth it?'... I've always thought Gerry was a player's coach. He always had a positive attitude. He stressed discipline, but the kids enjoyed the experience of playing for him. But something like this is scary when it can happen in high school."

He said Moore always had a good relationship with athletes, a sentiment echoed by others.

"Gerry always had the best interest of the kids," said Parsippany's Mike Whalen Sr., whose son, Mike, played running back and linebacker for Moore before graduating from Parsippany last year.

"He tried to preach family and what's important, like life's lessons. Sometimes, situations get out of hand with parents, and this is something that exploded. It's a shame, because it gives the program a slap in the face. The focus on the kids gets lost sometimes. This got out of control. Sometimes, people take it to the extreme."

Daily Record staff writers Abbott Koloff, Rob Jennings and Joe Hofmann contributed to this report.

447224[/snapback]

Guest BackInDaDay

"I'm going to ... kill you. ... I'll be coming back for you."

"This is just the way we talk".

I think I had this guy as a waiter the other night. :)

As a youth coach I see and here about this on a regular basis......

We are actually having a problem in JAAF because of 2 fighting incidents..one in local Pop Warner and one in JAAF.....

Its a sad thing because it is supposed to be about the kids and the kids very seldom ever start the problems.....it is parents who get way out of hand and coaches with oversized ego's......

This is my sons last year of youth football......the High School coaches are already going to his games and giving small tips afterwards just getting to know him (actually not just him we have a good young crop of jaaf kids going to high school next year....but Brett is right at the top of the list)

We had a scrimmage against a Redlands CA team in preseason.....no referees besides the coaches.....a lot of cheap shots, uncalled for hits on QB's, their coaches were totally living on another planet thinking that fouls shouldn't even be called (like they are going to get away with taking a kid down by his facemask...etc etc)

We held our discipline but they looked ridiculous....even fighting with each other. And wouldn't you know it they were involved in the talked about altercation with Bloomington not 2 weeks later........