I would guess that just about any defense...

Toledo Bill

would run out of steam and start getting run over when their offense continually goes three and out in heat and humidity like today. I don't feel like they quit like they did against New England last year.

I was really disappointed in the lack of enthusiasm today, but felt that it was a natural "downer" for the entire team regarding how the offense was looking.

Terrible performance, yes. Poor overall effort, yes. I think, however, that we shouldn't write off the season. Once, it was obvious what was happening (or not happening) with our offense, everything was in place for a poor game.

I'll reserve judgement for a few weeks.

would run out of steam and start getting run over when their offense continually goes three and out in heat and humidity like today. I don't feel like they quit like they did against New England last year.

I was really disappointed in the lack of enthusiasm today, but felt that it was a natural "downer" for the entire team regarding how the offense was looking.

Terrible performance, yes. Poor overall effort, yes. I think, however, that we shouldn't write off the season. Once, it was obvious what was happening (or not happening) with our offense, everything was in place for a poor game.

445577[/snapback]

I knew somebody would bring this up, and while its kinda-sorta true, the D wouldn't have been on the field that long if they did the same thing Tampa's D did to us. Shut that crappy Tampa O down and they get off the field and get to rest. Going into the 4th quarter Tampa was something like 5 of 10 in converting 3rd downs. That's just horrible. I'll admit that the Bills' O didn't help matters with their performance, but the D still has to step up to the plate.

445577[/snapback]

They certainly aren't the first good team to go into Florida early in the season and stink up the joint. Maybe I am being too optimistic, but I wish they'd played us at the Ralph...

I knew somebody would bring this up, and while its kinda-sorta true, the D wouldn't have been on the field that long if they did the same thing Tampa's D did to us.  Shut that crappy Tampa O down and they get off the field and get to rest.  Going into the 4th quarter Tampa was something like 5 of 10 in converting 3rd downs.  That's just horrible.  I'll admit that the Bills' O didn't help matters with their performance, but the D still has to step up to the plate.

445582[/snapback]

Tampa running the no-huddle was a pretty brilliant move IMHO. It could have backfired if the went 3 and out, but alas...

i wonder why we stopped blitzing completely after it had worked on that 3rd play where lawyer sacked griese.

it was working pretty well and they just stopped using it completely. makes no sense to me. were they too worried about cadillac breaking a big one on a blitz? because he broke a few on non blitzing plays.

445577[/snapback]

I agree with you wholeheartedly. If you put the 2000 Ravens, or the 85 Bears D out there for practically the whole game, in 90 degree heat at that, they would eventually get scored on, and worn down. We only had one 1st down the entire first half! To be totally honest, I'd say our D was pretty impressive to only allow Tampa to score 17 points. What was the difference in time of possession?

I agree with you wholeheartedly.  If you put the 2000 Ravens, or the 85 Bears D out there for practically the whole game, in 90 degree heat at that, they would eventually get scored on, and worn down.  We only had one 1st down the entire first half!  To be totally honest, I'd say our D was pretty impressive to only allow Tampa to score 17 points.  What was the difference in time of possession?

445606[/snapback]

The Bears and Ravens' Ds you speak of wouldn't have let this Tampa O pile up first downs on them. They would have forced 3 and outs too, which would have evened up the time of possession.

Time of possession isn’t just an offensive stat, it’s a D stat too. Both of them are to blame for losing the TOP battle this badly.