Texans Offense

mike22nc

Why are so many on this board acting like the Texans offense is horrendous? They have a great young nucleus of talent in Carr, Johnson and Davis. Let's look at last year's statistics:

Carr G Com Att Pct Yds yds/att TD Lng Int Rat

2004 HOU 16 285 466 61.2 3531 7.6 16 69 14 83.5

Davis G Att Yds TD

2004 HOU 15 302 1188 13

Johnson G Rec Yds TD

2004 HOU 16 79 1142 6

Now their statistics from Sunday:

Carr: 9/21 for 70 yds and 3 Ints

Davis: 14 for 48

Johnson: 3 for 18

This was just an incredible performance by a defense that has the talent and ability to be one of the most dominating Ds in quite some time.

We obviously aren't going to hold every team to under 200 yds, but if we dont end up the top D in the NFL this year, I will be very suprised.

Mike,

The Texans offense sucks... They are definitely bottom 3rd.  Carr has very RJ like stats.  And, 1000 yard runners and receivers mean nothing.  The 1500 yard and/or the 10+ TDs is the benchmark for the upper crust.

438237[/snapback]

Carr made RJ look good by comparison. It was more like Carr was the guy starting his 1st NFL game. I hope it was our defense that did this, but Carr has been sacked repeatedly throughout his career. Since being the #1 pick in the 2002 draft, Carr has been outplayed by guys in subsequent drafts like Palmer, Leftwich, Roethlisberger, and so far this year, J.P. Losman. The only reason it's not more noticeable is because the 2002 QB draft was so bad (so far, depending on how Harrington does) with recently benched Patrick Ramsey being the 3rd 1st rounder and a bunch of guys who are burried on the bench or have been waived out of the league (with the possible exception of Arizona 3rd rounder Josh McCown-who could regain the starting job in a Denny Green minute if Warner struggles much longer). After Leftwich & Palmer, 2003 ain't much better, with 1st round bust Boller and Rex Grossman , whois starting to make RJ look durable, the only other possible success is Chris Simms, who is still riding the pines in TB. If the classes of 2004 & 2005 produce some quality starters, the Carr pick will look even worse, especially considering that the guy I would have picked in that spot, Julius Peppers has been all world in Carolina.

Mike,

The Texans offense sucks... They are definitely bottom 3rd.  Carr has very RJ like stats.  And, 1000 yard runners and receivers mean nothing.  The 1500 yard and/or the 10+ TDs is the benchmark for the upper crust.

438237[/snapback]

How can a team that's in the bottom third of the league have the league's 11th rusher, 12th passer, and 17th receiver? By the way, there were 5 rushers and 0 receivers with 1500 yards last year, seems like not many teams have players that are in the "upper crust".

My take isn't that we were playing a great, or even good, offense, but they are not terrible. They are pretty average. I just think it's ridiculous that everyone is talking of them as if they are the Browns from last year.

Mike,

438237[/snapback]

I disagree. I think we made them look bad but they are actually a decent offense. I'm guessing that they will turn it around in the next couple of weeks which will make our Defense look even better.

I don't think Carr is that bad, and A. Johnson is the real deal. 

However, their OL really does stink, and I never understood the fascination with D. Davis.  Doesn't seem like he's anything special in the way of speed or power.

438811[/snapback]

Johnson is excellent, but their number 2 options are dreadful. Gaffney outplayed his abilities last year, I wouldn't expect as good a year from him this season.