Wyche anecdote about teaching J.P.

Dr. K

I love this anecdote from the Bob Decesare article in the News about How Wyche treated J.P. on the day of the game:

"That's the thing about quality teachers. They never cease being attentive students themselves. They're always striving for effective ways to deliver the message, to position their students for success, such as when Wyche approached Losman for a quick conversation Sunday morning with the anticipation mounting.

"'I went in and gave him the first three plays,'" Wyche said. "'I said, "You just think about these first three. Forget everything else. There's nothing else in the universe, just these three. And then when the other ones come along you'll remember them and we'll run 'em. But you just concentrate on (the three).' He executed them perfectly and fell into the flow. It wasn't any brilliant coaching move. It was one of many ways to approach a game, and it worked.'"

"Losman had a dynamic first half that exceeded expectations based on his uncertain, oft-time ineffective preseason performances. He was expecting Wyche to meet him in the locker room at intermission and nit-pick his work, as he'd done during the exhibitions. But there's a time to ready a quarterback for the season, and then there's a time to grant him independence."

[/color=blue]

This strikes me a brilliant coaching. J.P. had to have a thousand things flying through his head the morning of the game. Wyche gives him a simple task to focus on, and then doesn't hover over his shoulder every minute trying to micro-manage. This method works well in other kinds of teaching, too, and bespeaks a real understanding of human character. It makes me feel that J.P's development is in good hands.

Whoever had the idea to hire Wyche was thinking real smart.

I too am very thankful that we have Sam Wyche schooling our QB. But isn't it funny? Think back to 1988. To Boomer and the Icky Shuffle. To that huddle at the sidelines. To the Jungle. I never would have thought back then that someday Sam Wyche would be a Bills fan favorite.

I too am very thankful that we have Sam Wyche schooling our QB. But isn't it funny? Think back to 1988. To Boomer and the Icky Shuffle. To that huddle at the sidelines. To the Jungle. I never would have thought back then that someday Sam Wyche would be a Bills fan favorite.

437825[/snapback]

Point taken. I remember being really pissed at Wyche back then. Mostly because he had our number. But he was a smart coach then and he's still smart. Remember when Marv complained about the Bengals' no-huddle offense not giving the defense a chance to change players, even trying to get the refs to ban it--and then he adopted it himself two years later.