Grudging respect from Buc fans

Lothar

The Bucs "own" Michael Vick because of their team speed on D - this has to be a game we win by overpowering their line, cause JP won't outrun their backers.

http://bbs.buccaneers.com/showthread.php?t=100056

A feast....Please have a look at Buffalo's defensive performance today before you cal next week's game a "feast".

As already mentioned earlier, the Bills have a true powerhouse defense. Just have a look at their performance today. Granted, Houston isn't an offensive powerhouse, but Johnson + Davis isn't easy to cover. All Buffalo's defense did today: 120 total yards of offense, 6 sacks, and a whopping 7 forced turnovers. Not to mention Willis McGahee, Moulds and Evans. The Bills are a dauting task. But, after what (at least on paper) seemed like a great outing, I don't think its impossible. Take it for what you will, but here are my keys to winning next week.

1) The O-line held up extremely well (in all respects) against the best pass-rushing front 4 in the NFL, on paper. Now, the Bills don't have anyone in the middle capable of rushing the passer even remotely as well as Kevin Williams. However, Aaron Schrobel is a quality DE. Davis will have to hold up, and if today is any indication, he certain can.

2) Ditto goes for the running game. The key in my mind is to attack Ron Edwards, because Pat Williams was the staple of Buffalo's run defense last year. Buenning's gonna have to hold up, and I think we're gonna have to go strictly up the gut because Buffalo has the best 1-2 punch at LB with Spikes & Fletcher in the NFL. Both can fly to the ball, so if we do go with outside pitches, pulling the guards is a must. I think any outside plays should be run to the strong-side at Jeff Posey, the weakest point (if you can call it a weakness) of their LB core.

3) Spikes plays the WSLB in a very similar fashion to Brooks, with more athleticism but less experience. Lining up against Brooks in practice should help a lot, but Griese better be watching the middle VERY carefully.

4) The drops need to stop. Especially from Clayton, because he's the cornerstone of our passing game. there were 4 incomlete passes intended for Clayton, at least 2 of which I know he dropped. I know still came away with solid numbers, but he needs to hang onto those. I wouldn't be as worried if he didn't look slugging and had a comple of route issues and "dropsies" during the pre-season as well. Believe me, I'm not even close to insinuating that he's doomed, or a bust. He's still my Fav player in the NFL. But he's gotta step up again and be the top-10 receiver he was last year.

5) The running game, again. I know, young offensive line, the whole story. But, Williams has 17 yards of 3 yards or fewer, including 5 or no-gain or less. That needs to improve. In fact, other than the 71-yard dash, Caddy would have 26 carries for 77 yards; 2.67 ypc. And I'm not putting that on Caddy. We won't be facing Pat Williams again, but Sam Adams is just as big and can stuff that gap, and Buffalo's LB's are much better. Caddy... I got faith my man

6) Mr. Griese. We won't be able to come back against Buffalo if you have a similar first quarter. I won't say how to correct it because I've never played QB competitively and have no idea what they see. But whatever it is, Buffalo forces a LOT more turnovers, so we need to seriously cut down.

7) 13 penalties for 100 yars. Absolutely unacceptible.

8) The Offense we ran in the second half will not do. 0 points before the Caddy dash.

Quite a lot to accomplish. I have 2 totally different score scenarios:

1) Buffalo 21 - Tampa Bay - 12

2) Tampa 16 - Buffalo 13

I can't decide between the two.

I read that post among others, seems like a few of the more knowledgeable fans on that board have a ton of respect for the Bills. Then of course you have your homers predicting Carnell will get 100+ and the Bucs will roll over us.

This is not an easy game for us as the Bucs do have a fantastic defense. It will probably end up in the teens, and will come down to which offense doesn't make the most game changing mistakes. Points off turnovers will be critical, and so will TOP. With two defenses this good it may come down to who wears out first.

Bills 13

Bucs 6

I like the person on that board who said the bucs have to dink n dunk next week vs us. I'm sorry but everytime I've seen a team just beat us passing it's been veritcally ala chiefs/pats. The bucs should provide a real solid test for our offense though. Going up against an athletically fast defense, who I expect to come with the pressure, a lot more then houston tried to today. This is the game I expect to see us use the run to set up some deep patterns. Thinking about it this also made me remember the mularkey factor. Pittsburgh had success against the bucs tampa 2 defense by throwing deep and pounding the rock. Pretty simplistic I know but that's how they got it done. They took it right at tampa, I expect us to try to do the same. I don't expect it to be highscoring but I think we can come away with a w.

17-10 bills

I like the person on that board who said the bucs have to dink n dunk next week vs us.  I'm sorry but everytime I've seen a team just beat us passing it's been veritcally ala chiefs/pats.  The bucs should provide a real solid test for our offense though. Going up against an athletically fast defense, who I expect to come  with the pressure, a lot more then houston tried to today. This is the game I expect to see us use the run to set up some deep patterns.  Thinking about it this also made me remember the mularkey factor. Pittsburgh had success against the bucs  tampa 2 defense by throwing deep and pounding the rock. Pretty simplistic I know but that's how they got it done. They took it right at tampa, I expect us to try to do the same.  I don't expect it to be highscoring but I think we can come away with a w.

17-10 bills

437137[/snapback]

I agree - pound between the tackles and pop a couple deep ones - we can't dink and dunk on these guys. With regard to our D, the Pats do a good job of mixing things up against us - mostly becasue of Brady's quick outs and middle screens, but they take their chances down the field on us as well. In the Bledsoe era, they'd just wait for Drew and our offense to implode.

Those guys make me laugh. First of all the Texans have a damn decent defense that has played together longer than the old players that make up the vikes defense. The bucs have a better offense? please. if anything its a wash there and our defense is more than slightly better than theirs.

Mcgahee v. cadillac adv buffalo by far - caddy had one run that DOUBLED his yardage at the end of the game against a defense that cant hold buffalo's collective jocks. Willis was slow out of the gates today but we simply overwhelmed them over the course of the game

Losman v. Griese adv to tampa - only basing this on experience and JP going into a hostile environment, but Griese does pull some dumbass plays when he is pressured which he most definitely will be on sunday

Wideouts adv buffalo - especially if reed keeps catching passes. i will take moulds and evans all day over galloway and clayton especially in a game like this where ball control will be key and homerun hitters like galloway will not really be a factor

O-line close here and the first one to establish themselves will win this game.

All in all i expect a similar game plan as today's but JP cannot hit LBs in the hands against TB cuz they will pick it off and take it to the house. I still think the Bills are a superior team and the play of the defense will win this game by getting the offense good field position and hell if lindell has to kick (and make) 5 FGs i think the bills when this one too. Thinking about playing our D might cause griese to fall off the wagon and that would be fun to watch.