US winning more hearts and minds

chicot

You did? I didn't. The images I saw were of Palestinians celebrating (although they seem to have morphed into anyone of Arab descent). I do recall DC Tom saying there was some sort of orchestrated celebration in Iraq, but that means very little as the secret police could easily force people into that. How do you know how ordinary Iraqis reacted? You don't.  As for what Saddam said, who cares? He's a maniac. Anyway, this is quite a strange sort of justification - I thought the reason for the US still being in Iraq was to actually help the Iraqis, you seem to be implying it's somehow ok to kill Iraqi civilians in revenge for 9/11. You see the contradiction?

30791[/snapback]

I don't recall saying there was an orchestrated celebration. I do recall there being a celebration. I also recall it being one of the typical "Iraqi housewives take to the streets" celebrations. And I assumed, as I always do of such celebrations, that it was orchestrated at gunpoint by the Ba'athists.

But that's my assumption, not a hard and fast fact.

I don't recall saying there was an orchestrated celebration.  I do recall there being a celebration.  I also recall it being one of the typical "Iraqi housewives take to the streets" celebrations.  And I assumed, as I always do of such celebrations, that it was orchestrated at gunpoint by the Ba'athists. 

But that's my assumption, not a hard and fast fact.

30804[/snapback]

Sorry, my bad. That's what I meant, I just worded it wrongly.

I am afraid that it really doesn't matter all that much if our guys deliberately or accidentally killed civilian children in this incident. They are just as dead either way and we are just as hated because the Iraqi people are not going to ever believe or likely even care if it was deliberate or accidental. It matters to us what our troops do and why but over there, it only matters what they do.

I am afraid that it really doesn't matter all that much if our guys deliberately or accidentally killed civilian children in this incident.  They are just as dead either way and we are just as hated because the Iraqi people are not going to ever believe or likely even care if it was deliberate or accidental.  It matters to us what our troops do and why but over there, it only matters what they do.

30858[/snapback]

But the point is Mikey, they are not "innocent" and it's my word not yours. But "innocent" people do not just go jumping on a centerpoint of a battle minutes before, if they are innocent.

But the point is Mikey, they are not "innocent" and it's my word not yours.  But "innocent" people do not just go jumping on a centerpoint of a battle minutes before, if they are innocent.

30862[/snapback]

Again, it matters to us whether they were truly innocent or not but not to them. "The US kills innocent kids" that is the headline they will read, the story they will tell and the history they will believe. That will be the reality accepted among muslims and most Iraqi's. That is the reality that will motivate action against us. Maybe it will be expressed by increased recruits for terrorist groups or "insurgents". Maybe it will be expressed by increased donations of resources to our enemies. Maybe it will be expressed by a loss of support for our friends in Jordan or Saudi Arabia. What tactical advantage was gained in the killing of those "non-innocent" Children vs. what was lost in terms of propaganda? Did this event advance our cause or set it back?

No I said it was okay to bomb the stevestojan out of !@#$s canabolizing a track that they and their buddies just rpg'ed.  Again you hang around with scum, you're going to get bombed.  You are not innocent if you get close to a burning track, minutes after your buddies just in a major firefight.

30801[/snapback]

All well and good so long as you accept the US version (well, one of them anyway) of events without question. Given your background, I can understand that this may be the case for you. However, I am more inclined to believe the version of events given by several different international news agencies which has a far longer time period being the battle and the helicopter attack (hours not minutes). According to this version of events, the crowd was not "cannibalising" the Bradley. Yes, some were celebrating, others were just "milling around" and the Palestinian reporter was some 50 metres from the Bradley when he was killed. Also, as I'm sure you're aware, this sort of thing - a US vehicle being destroyed and a crowd gathering afterwards - has happened umpteen times before without this sort of response. If it is US policy to destroy the vehicle, whether or not there are civilians in the vicinity, then it certainly has not been adhered to too rigidly in the past.

All well and good so long as you accept the US version (well, one of them anyway) of events without question. Given your background, I can understand that this may be the case for you. However, I am more inclined to believe the version of events given by several different international news agencies which has a far longer time period being the battle and the helicopter attack (hours not minutes). According to this version of events, the crowd was not "cannibalising" the Bradley. Yes, some were celebrating, others were just "milling around" and the Palestinian reporter was some 50 metres from the Bradley when he was killed. Also, as I'm sure you're aware, this sort of thing - a US vehicle being destroyed and a crowd gathering afterwards - has happened umpteen times before without this sort of response. If it is US policy to destroy the vehicle, whether or not there are civilians in the vicinity, then it certainly has not been adhered to too rigidly in the past.

31478[/snapback]

Curiousity killed the cat.