Good tennis on the telly now (Wed night)

Simon

James Blake rolls over Agassi to take the first two sets, at this point Andre would usually pull his classic quitting routine. But at 35 he seems to have finally matured and he's roared back to take the next two sets and knot the match.

5th and final set coming up under the lights in New York. It's on the USA channel and should be good stuff with both guys really bringing it.

Cya

Edit: WTF!!!

USA just leaves thematch to go to some (*^*&%^$^#showing of some stupid Law & Order rerun! Who in the hell in their right minds would rather watch this garbage than a compelling 5th set of the US OPEN QUARTERS?!

&$%#**(*!@(%^!%#^#@*)

Edit #2:

The CBS affiliate out of NY has ahd the good sense to pick up the rest of the match, saving me from a likely coronary. So if you're looking for the match and have an East coast CBS feed, thar she blows.

Edit #2:

The CBS affiliate out of NY has ahd the good sense to pick up the rest of the match, saving me from a likely coronary. So if you're looking for the match and have an East coast CBS feed, thar she blows.

432949[/snapback]

Yeah, USA said that due to contractual obligations they had to cut away but he local CBS station would be picking up the rest of the match. Well you got it on the east coast, but here in St. Louis CBS is showing Inside Edition. :D

The fuggin bastards!!!! It's 6-6 in the 5th set and I have to follow the match online with no video. Unfriggin believable :D

Ok so the local CBS affiliate here in St. Louis picks up the feed a half hour later at 2-1 in the 5th set. I already know it goes to 6 all in the fifth set tie-breaker, but don't know who wins. So now i've gotten off the website and am sitting through the earlier part of the 5th set so I can finally see the exciting conclusion.

I'd like to tell you ya didn't miss much Juke, but it can't be done. That was some seriously compelling tennis. Both guys painting lines all over the place, crowd gong nuts, big breaks and mini-breaks back and forth, ridiculously fast-paced agressive tennis from two players who were really into it. Probably the best match that will be played in this year's US Open and and only a small % of the country actually got to see it.

Shame on USA, the USTA, the US Open and everybody involved in not being prepared to make sure the entire country got to see the US Open men's quarterfinals. :D

Cya

P.S. If somebody is planning on showing a replay tomorrow, you should try and catch at least the 5thset and the tiebreaker. Good stuff.

Ok so the local CBS affiliate here in St. Louis picks up the feed a half hour later at 2-1 in the 5th set.  I already know it goes to 6 all in the fifth set tie-breaker, but don't know who wins.  So now i've gotten off the website and am sitting through the earlier part of the 5th set so I can finally see the exciting conclusion.

432966[/snapback]

I'm glad I didn't mention a winner in my last post.

Enjoy the show. :D

Cya

You are spot on Simon. Just finished watching and the quality of tennis in that 5th set was as good as it gets. Down to the end, points were being won with unbelievable shots, hardly any unforced errors. Both these guys played their hearts out and it was a shame that one of them had to lose.

Instant Classic

You are spot on Simon. Just finished watching and the quality of tennis in that 5th set was as good as it gets. Down to the end, points were being won with unbelievable shots, hardly any unforced errors. Both these guys played their hearts out and it was a shame that one of them had to lose.

Instant Classic

Yeah, that was good enough that I would actually watch it again right now. Although I was really rooting for Blake, going out like that made the loss a lot more palatable. I was stunned by how agressive they were with their passes on huge points, and they both just kept scoring with them. Not many guys play balls-to-the-wall tennis like that anymore, and seeing two of them going at it was a rare treat.

I'm even beginning to develop a wee bit of respect for Agassi the last couple years and watching him keep grinding and dig out of that whole last night didn't hurt matters any.

Telly? Now your speaking like a refined englishman.

Next you'll be wearing an ascot and sipping Corvouisier at the Cape with that other wannabe blue blood ~NG~...

Well if I'd have typed television I wouldn't have been able to fit the "Wed night" tagline, and then people wouold have been flocking to their televisons by the hundreds (and possibly even thousands) looking for good tennis all throught Thursday and Thursnight.

Besides I have no problem with wearing an ascot; I get to choose where and how to wear it right? And while I am at it I'll go ahead and wear a Cape, too. I don't know what Corvouisier is exactly, but if I put enough whiskey in it it'll probably be all right. And I certainly have no issues with ingesting NG's hopped up, drug-laden blood.

The only problem I see is this "sipping" thing.......

No harm discussing the winner as whoever cares already knows. In the early to mid-90s, I had grown to dislike Agassi for his lack of passion for the sport. He would be on top one year and disappear from the rankings the next. I was a huge Sampras fan for his calm demeanor, clean style of play (read: no two handed backhand) and incredible temperament. However, lately I have started to like Agassi as he seems to have re-discovered the value of dedication. I am sure Steffi drilled some sense into him.

Having said that, I was rooting big time for Blake and my wife for AA. The game and particularly the 5th set was a classic in the McEnroe-Borg mould. As I was watching the match, I kept evaluating who is the most likely to give a serious challenge to, and possibly beat that incredible Federer. Even though I wanted Blake to win, I think at this point, Agassi even at age 35 is that person. His maturity, big point play, smart placement, NEW serve (whoa !) will serve him well. I predict he blows Ginepri off the court and then proceeds to win against Federer in 4.

P.S. Roddick is an idiot. Reminds me of the worst of Courier (poor fundamentals) and Sabatini (lack of temperament) together.