Can someone explain when Holcomb became a savior?

Ramius

Where did this sentiment come from exactly? the Bills signed him as a backup to

JP, not a starter. As for KH, everyone remembers his one statistical monster playoff game against pittsburgh, and one good game last year. But when and where did this notion that he can lead us to the playoffs start? Sure we have a great defense that can carry the team, and JP is still an unknown (i think he'll turn out fine when all is said and done), by why the sudden love-fest for KH by some?

Here are some stats to ponder (i'm sorry to let facts get in the way of a good "JP sucks, start KH rant")

He's only started 13 career games, and in the only extended action he saw, over 8 games, here were his numbers...

2003, 8 games started, 10 total

193-302 63%, 1797 yards, 10 TD 12 int's

this doesnt exactly instill a lot of confidence in me.

2002, 4 games

2 good, a combined 44-69, 524 yds, 5 TD's 0 int's (a 49-30 loss to KC, and a 20-7 win vs Cincy)

2 so-so games, combined 20-37, 266 yds, 3 TD's 4 INT's (a 26-21 loss to balt, and a 24-16 win over atl)

2004, 2 games

1 good game 30-39, 413 yds, 5 TD's, 2 INT's (58-48 loss to cincy)

1 so-so, 20-29, 228 yds1 TD, 2 INT's (22-14 win vs houston)

To me, these facts say that holcomb has put up a few big games in his career that everyone remembers, but everyone also overlooks the slew of mediocre games hes had. Also, the stats tell me that holcomb tends to throw a good number of INT's as well...

And if we are going to have a QB turn the ball over, i'd rather it be JP while hes developing, than have it be KH and have us lose another year. I think we'll go 9-7 this year, but i'd rather go 7-9 with JP as opposed to 9-7 with holcomb.

So, i would trust holcomb coming in for a game or 2 if JP goes down, but those of you that think he'll lead us to the playoffs by starting the season may be a bit off...if he was such a great starter, then some team other than cleveland would have been interested in him as a starter.

i am sticking with JP all year . you will not here me yell holcomb this year . i will back JP , i know he will have his ups and downs and growing pains . i will be ok with him even if we go 6 and 10 . hoping for 10 or 11 wins .

We have to give Losman a shot. Losman brings a lot to the table with his mobility. He did make some nice timing passes in the final game and shows promise. Big deal about the two ints. I'm actually glad. He got them out of the way in a meaningless game. I wish he was sacked 20 times too. So he could feel what its like to be humiliated and never want to feel that way again. Reality set in for him. He's a work in progress.

I believe the coaches are smart enough to know what to do. They are not going into this weeks game calling 95% passing plays. Any moron can figure that out. We will run the ball like maniacs. Throw some playaction passes in and we should have a good day.

It's unbelievable that people are discounting Losman and the season did not even begin. He has a clean slate right now. We have a great running back. We can run the football. Let's see how it goes. I believe Losman is an upgrade from Bledsoe because of his mobility.

Let's stop calling for Holcomb. He's not our starter and hopefully won't have to be.

We have to give Losman a shot.  Losman brings a lot to the table with his mobility.  He did make some nice timing passes in the final game and shows promise.  Big deal about the two ints.  I'm actually glad.  He got them out of the way in a meaningless game.  I wish he was sacked 20 times too.  So he could feel what its like to be humiliated and never want to feel that way again.  Reality set in for him.  He's a work in progress.

I believe the coaches are smart enough to know what to do.  They are not going into this weeks game calling 95% passing plays.  Any moron can figure that out.  We will run the ball like maniacs.  Throw some playaction passes in and we should have a good day. 

It's unbelievable that people are discounting Losman and the season did not even begin.  He has a clean slate right now.  We have a great running back.  We can run the football.  Let's see how it goes.  I believe Losman is an upgrade from Bledsoe because of his mobility. 

Let's stop calling for Holcomb.  He's not our starter and hopefully won't have to be.

430614[/snapback]

Only mental midgets are calling for Holcomb now.

Good job Ramius. I posted something very similar a little while back, but the calls for Holcomb continue...

He is a career Captain Clipboard with a monster playoff game that everyone cites as how awesome he is (Browns lost that game BTW). There's a reason he came to Buffalo as a backup and isn't starting for another team right now. I think either JPL or KH, with the Bills supporting cast, could go 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 this season. It's not really the QB who will get the job done this year. So we might as well have JP in there. Otherwise it will be Summer 2006 and we will still have an inexperienced QB.

I like him as an insurance policy, but yanking a healthy JP to start the Kelly Holcomb era will be disastrous.

I think JP is definitely the guy to start and to stick with for the most part in the early season and even slightly beyond even if he implodes. I hope and assume it will not ptove necessary to bench him because the best answer for many of these growing pains will be to play right through them and hope that the D, ST performance or simple dumb luck does not cost us any Ws while these youn QB hiccups are going on.

However, i have enough confidence in MM and TC in their ability to build a successful offense with even previously failed QBs with Maddox and Stewart and with the way they steered Bledsoe to a far better (though still inadequate) performance in 2004 than in 2003 that I have confidence in them if the choose to bemch JP at some point because they judge it gives us a beter cbance at winning now.

I think fans are almost certainly wrong if they judge the Losman psyche to be so weak that if MM pulld him at some point he will be simply ruined as a QB. In fact, if JP is such a weenie that any show of sitting him down if he isn't doing the job is going to destroy him he probavly would not suceed as our QB in the long run anyway.

JP deserves the lonest leash possible the NFL has as he goes through being a first time starter to becoming a vet. However, it is a leash and I have no problem withMM/TC benching him if they judge it helps tje team make the playoffs this year.

Where did this sentiment come from exactly? the Bills signed him as a backup to

JP, not a starter. As for KH, everyone remembers his one statistical monster playoff game against pittsburgh, and one good game last year. But when and where did this notion that he can lead us to the playoffs start? Sure we have a great defense that can carry the team, and JP is still an unknown (i think he'll turn out fine when all is said and done), by why the sudden love-fest for KH by some?

Here are some stats to ponder (i'm sorry to let facts get in the way of a good "JP sucks, start KH rant")

He's only started 13 career games, and in the only extended action he saw, over 8 games, here were his numbers...

2003, 8 games started, 10 total

193-302 63%, 1797 yards, 10 TD 12 int's

this doesnt exactly instill a lot of confidence in me.

2002, 4 games

2 good, a combined 44-69, 524 yds, 5 TD's 0 int's (a 49-30 loss to KC, and a 20-7 win vs Cincy)

2 so-so games, combined 20-37, 266 yds, 3 TD's 4 INT's (a 26-21 loss to balt, and a 24-16 win over atl)

2004, 2 games

1 good game 30-39, 413 yds, 5 TD's, 2 INT's (58-48 loss to cincy)

1 so-so, 20-29, 228 yds1 TD, 2 INT's (22-14 win vs houston)

To me, these facts say that holcomb has put up a few big games in his career that everyone remembers, but everyone also overlooks the slew of mediocre games hes had. Also, the stats tell me that holcomb tends to throw a good number of INT's as well...

And if we are going to have a QB turn the ball over, i'd rather it be JP while hes developing, than have it be KH and have us lose another year. I think we'll go 9-7 this year, but i'd rather go 7-9 with JP as opposed to 9-7 with holcomb.

So, i would trust holcomb coming in for a game or 2 if JP goes down, but those of you that think he'll lead us to the playoffs by starting the season may be a bit off...if he was such a great starter, then some team other than cleveland would have been interested in him as a starter.

430570[/snapback]

Because for some reason some Bills fans want a QB controversy involving a player wearing the number 7 Jersey <_< Personally I am rooting for whomever is aligning behind center and wearing a Bills Uni.