Will JP get the hook?

Just wondering how long they will stay with JP if he struggles against the Texans. Do you think that Holcomb will be put in the game or will they just let JP take his lumps and stay with him regardless. I ask this because it is a delicate position for a coaching staff and young QB to be in. You don't want to hurt his confidence and have him looking over his shoulder all year. But at the same time if the game is on the line and if he is having a bad day what do you do. That could be an interesting subplot to the game. I've seen alot of great QB's stink it up in their first start. Remember Elway lining up behind the gaurd? I wish JP the best but a win is more important than OTJT. JMO

Just wondering how long they will stay with JP if he struggles against the Texans. Do you think that Holcomb will be put in the game or will they just let JP take his lumps and stay with him regardless. I ask this because it is a delicate position for a coaching staff and young QB to be in. You don't want to hurt his confidence and have him looking over his shoulder all year. But at the same time if the game is on the line and if he is having a bad day what do you do. That could be an interesting subplot to the game. I've seen alot of great QB's stink it up in their first start. Remember Elway lining up behind the gaurd? I wish JP the best but a win is more important than OTJT. JMO

430002[/snapback]

JP will be in there from start to finish unless we're blowing out the Texans going into the fourth quarter

Why is the post worthless? Malarky could be faced with that decision on Sunday. Lets say the rest of the team is playing their ass off and JP is having an off day being it's his first start. Capers will show him things he's never seen before. He will get the full dose of the zone blitz. And everthing else Capers can dream up. Holcomb has seen it before and started in the League. So what do you do if it looks like JP will cost us a win. Do you go down with him or switch QB's if you think it will give you the best chance to win? What is worthless about that senario?

Why is the post worthless? Malarky could be faced with that decision on Sunday. Lets say the rest of the team is playing their ass off and JP is having an off day being it's his first start. Capers will show him things he's never seen before. He will get the full dose of the zone blitz. And everthing else Capers can dream up. Holcomb has seen it before and started in the League. So what do you do if it looks like JP will cost us a win. Do you go down with him or switch QB's if you think it will give you the best chance to win? What is worthless about that senario?

430092[/snapback]

Click <_<

I would be very surprised to see Losman get pulled. The only way I would expect to see Losman pulled is if the team is losing by a large margin (17+ points) late in the 3rd quarter. With the defense the Bills have, I doubt that Houston could get that big of a lead. Of course if he had a couple of int's returned, it could happen; but as I stated, I'd be surprised to see that happen.

I expect that the game plan will be a lot of Willis, followed by more Willis, with JP sticking to relatively safe throws. My guess is that the Bills win a rather offenseless game, 14 - 10. (Notice, I don't expect the Bills to make any field goals.)

Dave.

430092[/snapback]

It's not a worthless post.

But game #1 is not a time to yank a guy - It tells the whole team that management ddin't have the slighest bit of competency after evaluating the camp and the pre-season.

JP would have to do a lot to get replaced - have to really stink up the joint.

It is highly unlikely that Losman will be yanked in favor of Holcomb, during the first four weeks of the season, unless he is apparent he is just so frigging awful, he can't be saved. (There is one poster on this board who claims to have "insider info" that the Bills have already come to this conclusion!) He will not be yanked against the Texans. What will be more crucial, is worse case scenario, the Bills get off to another awful start (say 0-4), the offense looks more like it did the last two preseaon games, how long before the coaching staff contemplates putting Holcomb in?

Don't get me wrong, I am fully behind Losman, but as a Bills fan, I am growing a little tired of us missing the playoffs the last 5 years. I think this team has potential to be stellar, Losman is possibly (maybe the O-line) the most uncertain variable. By all accounts, he has a great attitude. The Bills have obviously made a commitment to him, to an extent. To what extent remains to be seen...hopefully it never comes down to that...don't look for him to be pulled any time in the first 4 weeks, unless the Bills are just so far ahead, there is no point in risking injury.

I think you are all wrong. If the Bills are winning by blowout, he stays in to get experience. If the Bills are losing by a blowout, he stays in to get experience. If it's close and competative, he stays in to try and win it.

The only scenario in which I see him coming out (and even then I wouldn't put money on it), is if he is stinking it up and the offense is going nowhere, but because of defense and ST we are only down by a touchdown in the fourth quarter.

So what do you do if it looks like JP will cost us a win.

430092[/snapback]

Hey, JP might come out and stink it up, but the beauty of a ball control offense is that you take the game out of the QBs hands and play the field position game. JP might finish with a rating of 23, but I doubt he'd be the sole reason Bflo doesn't beat Houston if, in fact, the Texans upset Bflo.

Barring injury or misfiring synapses to the point where he reverts to calling high school plays, I'd be shocked if he gets pulled.