Down By Contact

BuffalOhio

I don't care about either of those teams, but I was yelling at the screen when the KC receiver fell down, then got up, and as he was getting up (with both knees off the ground), he got drilled from behind and fumbled before hitting the ground.

Of course, Denver recovered, but the idiot refs ruled he was down by contact, which is not reviewable.

That rule has got to go. It cost Denver a TD against, because KC scored right after that.

I think they should let the play happen, then if someone wants to challenge, then so be it, but GD man, get it right!

Should have been Denver's ball.

Man, I was really pissed at that, because it happens all the time. They've got to change that rule!

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: idiot refs!

Saw it. Agree. I did the same thing, then Im going "why the hell am I yelling when I don't care who wins this game?"  :-)

29585[/snapback]

It's because we're tired of some of the stupid rules of the game. They could fix it by saying the ground *CAN* cause a fumble. That way, a fumble is a fumble is a fumble. No judgement required on the part of the idiot refs.

It's because we're tired of some of the stupid rules of the game.  They could fix it by saying the ground *CAN* cause a fumble.  That way, a fumble is a fumble is a fumble.  No judgement required on the part of the idiot refs.

29588[/snapback]

Yep, or they could just simply say "ok, it IS reviewable" instead of "it was a judgement call". I'd prefer the latter because you really should be "down" when your knee touches...

I don't care about either of those teams, but I was yelling at the screen when the KC receiver fell down, then got up, and as he was getting up (with both knees off the ground), he got drilled from behind and fumbled before hitting the ground.

Of course, Denver recovered, but the idiot refs ruled he was down by contact, which is not reviewable. 

That rule has got to go.  It cost Denver a TD against, because KC scored right after that.

I think they should let the play happen, then if someone wants to challenge, then so be it, but GD man, get it right!

Should have been Denver's ball.

Man, I was really pissed at that, because it happens all the time.  They've got to change that rule!

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: idiot refs!

29575[/snapback]

will never happen. that rule is a GOOD RULE. you might not like the results. but the ref blew the play dead. everyone stops playing when they hear the ref call it dead. just cus you end up with the ball, after everyone stops playing, you should be awarded the ball????? it sucks and a bad call by the refs. but the players keep playing untill they hear the refs call it dead. they have been taught that all there lives. if you all of a sudden tell them that a play might not be over after a wissel, than all hell will break loose. how could you call a late hit? (for example).

it sucks and a horrable call, but its one of those things you have to live with. no amount of replay or reviewing will stop it from happening. the ref thaught he was down, he called him down. he should not let the play continue if he saw him down. and should NOT just let it go, thinking one of the coaches will challenge, cus thats not why the challenge is in the game. make your call. if its the wrong call, they will do there best to correct it, but they wont always get it right.

Yeah. Theisman, as usual, was so wrong. When the play is ruled dead the ref blows his whistle. You cannot take that back. When players hear the whistle they stop (or they're supposed to). You cannot go back under any circumstances and give possession or yardage to one team or another after the whistle has blown.

The more observant refs you will see from time to time, will hold off on actually blowing that whistle , especially when the call is questionable, thus allowing for a review to occur. They just need to not be so quick with the whistle on those types of plays.

Yeah. Theisman, as usual, was so wrong. When the play is ruled dead the ref blows his whistle. You cannot take that back. When players hear the whistle they stop (or they're supposed to). You cannot go back under any circumstances and give possession or yardage to one team or another after the whistle has blown.

29681[/snapback]

I agree, however in some situations these whistle happy refs jump the gun. They made the right call under the circumstances but the ref should have never blown the whistle.

The more observant refs you will see from time to time, will hold off on actually blowing that whistle , especially when the call is questionable, thus allowing for a review to occur. They just need to not be so quick with the whistle on those types of plays.

29683[/snapback]

But they don't know if he was down. He thought he was. The ref blew the whistle before the player started getting up. Players would get rocked from behind unwitting if refs started doing that I think.

will never happen. that rule is a GOOD RULE. you might not like the results. but the ref blew the play dead.  everyone stops playing when they hear the ref call it dead. just cus you end up with the ball, after everyone stops playing, you should be awarded the ball????? it sucks and a bad call by the refs. but the players keep playing untill they hear the refs call it dead. they have been taught that all there lives. if you all of a sudden tell them that a play might not be over after a wissel, than all hell will break loose. how could you call a late hit? (for example).

it sucks and a horrable call, but its one of those things you have to live with. no amount of replay or reviewing will stop it from happening. the ref thaught he was down, he called him down. he should not let the play continue if he saw him down. and should NOT just let it go, thinking one of the coaches will challenge, cus thats not why the challenge is in the game. make your call. if its the wrong call, they will do there best to correct it, but they wont always get it right.

29673[/snapback]

Well that ref ought to be canned. It was plainly evident that he wasn't down. Not by a longshot!

But they don't know if he was down. He thought he was. The ref blew the whistle before the player started getting up. Players would get rocked from behind unwitting if refs started doing that I think.

29711[/snapback]

How does a guy 10 feet away not know that the guy who caught the ball stumbled and fell on his own. When he got up, he was fair game. What a bunch of crap.