Didn't I see Denney start at LDE?

Rubes

I thought Kelsay was given the start, but I swear I saw Denney in for the first defensive play. Anyone else catch this?

I also remember seeing a play later in the game when Kelsay was the LDE and Denney was the RDE. They did pretty well on that play, I think.

You're correct on both counts. With GWilliams gone we're seeing a major of display of dynamic position changes on the DLine under this staff. On the other side of the ball the amount of movement of our OLine is another change- instead of being asked to play one on one football the OLinemen are regularly confusing the defense with dynamic assignment changes.

You're correct on both counts. With GWilliams gone we're seeing a major of display of dynamic position changes on the DLine under this staff. On the other side of the ball the amount of movement of our OLine is another change- instead of being asked to play one on one football the OLinemen are regularly confusing the defense with dynamic assignment changes.

29659[/snapback]

AKC, I was somewhat impressed with the blocking (if you can believe it). Not satisfied mind you, but imo, there were few games last season where Drew didn't get his brains beat in. I am starting to buy this McNally thing.

Am I wrong?

AKC, I was somewhat impressed with the blocking (if you can believe it). Not satisfied mind you, but imo, there were few games last season where Drew didn't get his brains beat in. I am starting to buy this McNally thing.

Am I wrong?

29668[/snapback]

The indications right now are that the OLine is improving- we just went up against what's considered one of the best run defenses in the league and our TOP answers the question of whether we were succesful there. Jax held teams to under 90 yards a game last year, a Bills team that struggled running statistically in '03 went for over 100 against them. The improvement might seem insignificant, but I don't see it that way- in fact I'd see the '03 Bills putting up about 65-70 yards on the same defense.

The line played better yesterday than I recall in some time, Jennings is still one of the slickest sliders in the NFL, Villarial is a very tough run blocker at the point of attack and Teague looks llike he'll thrive in a scheme that has him making blocks from sideline to sideline by design. Smith is three times as strong as the guy he replaces and Mike- well he's still go 20 pounds to lop off his frame before he'll be able to do the amount of aerobic work necessary in practice to play a whole game effectively and get that hulk moving to stop and edge rush. But I'm sure you'd agree his conditioning is not McNally's fault, that rests upon the substantial shoulders of one Mike Williams.

The movement of the line is refreshing after that stale and awful fit Gilbride pushed on this team. I believe the Denver and NE models prove that if you have active linemen it's far easier to have bench help for spurts without sacrificing too much off your production. Give these guys 3 or 4 games to get their rythym and it's possible they'll develop one of our best running teams ever.

Next week will be interesting- the Traiders gave up about 3.75 YPC to Duce Staley. It's possible Staley's style is tougher for Big Teddy and Saap to pick up than our 1-2 but I doubt it. I too like what I see.