O-line & running

RuntheDamnBall

Thought they were generally better pass-blocking, which came as a surprise. Bledsoe did get rid of the ball quickly (with a pretty good comp. %, too) so he tended to make the line look a little better passing. Big Mike should be too big for someone to just go around. Looked pretty amateurish at times, never thrilled me. Still holding out hope.

Run-blocking was spotty; Lawrence Smith actually opened up a few nice holes, Henry screwed up on a few of those assignments, too.

I know McGahee was in there more because Henry was cramping, but I think it's actually a great idea to open up the 2nd half or 4th quarter with McGahee in there; fresh legs, new guy for the defense to adjust to. That pick was looking better as the game went on. Would like to have seen him on those goal line situations -- it worked in the preseason, right?

I thought the Offensive Line was noticeably better, especially at pass blocking.

To clarify, they appeared to play an average game, something I have not seen very frequently in the last 10 seasons.

After seeing such poor play for so long, I was quite skeptical that McNally would do much if anything to make something good out of this mess. Well, judging from what I saw on game 1, I am thinking that the OL will get better as the year goes on. I am thinking/hoping to even see an OL on the Buffalo Bills football team that will be slightly above average by the end of the year.

Therefore, I abdicate my throne as "King of all Offensive Line Whiners", which should make a few happy on this board. :):doh:

Thought they were generally better pass-blocking, which came as a surprise.  Bledsoe did get rid of the ball quickly (with a pretty good comp. %, too) so he tended to make the line look a little better passing.  Big Mike should be too big for someone to just go around.  Looked pretty amateurish at times, never thrilled me. Still holding out hope.

Run-blocking was spotty; Lawrence Smith actually opened up a few nice holes, Henry screwed up on a few of those assignments, too.

I know McGahee was in there more because Henry was cramping, but I think it's actually a great idea to open up the 2nd half or 4th quarter with McGahee in there; fresh legs, new guy for the defense to adjust to.  That pick was looking better as the game went on.  Would like to have seen him on those goal line situations -- it worked in the preseason, right?

29118[/snapback]

I noticed your Rollie Fingers avatar. I used to work with Rollie for years at a company in Carlsbad, Ca., Hell of a nice guy to be around. He was/is a consumate professional.

I thought the Offensive Line was noticeably better, especially at pass blocking.

To clarify, they appeared to play an average game, something I have not seen very frequently in the last 10 seasons.

After seeing such poor play for so long, I was quite skeptical that McNally would do much if anything to make something good out of this mess. Well, judging from what I saw on game 1, I am thinking that the OL will get better as the year goes on. I am thinking/hoping to even see an OL on the Buffalo Bills football team that will be slightly above average by the end of the year.

Therefore, I abdicate my throne as "King of all Offensive Line Whiners", which should make a few happy on this board.  :)  :doh:

29340[/snapback]

It took a long time to win that throne - are you sure you want to give it up so quick :lol:

I liked what I saw, especially the adapting that happened as the game went on. Travis looked like hell running wide early, but controlling the middle of the line as the game went on was something to behold. Stroud and Henderson ain't chopped liver.

It was nice to actually have an option after Travis went out of the game. I sure wish we'd have run one more time on the goal line.

It took a long time to win that throne - are you sure you want to give it up so quick  :doh:

29549[/snapback]

Well, next week will be a great test with the center of the line playing against Sapp and Big Ted.

Honestly, the run blocking was OK last year. It was again OK in week one.

I am hoping to see a 300 yard passing game by Drew vs Oakland on sunday, with few if any sacks. The afforementioned DTs are not great pass rushers.

The Bills are going to kick the Raiders asses.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the rate that Mike Williams fatigued was disproportionate to everyone else on the O-line. He started to get sloppy too early for my liking and you could tell that he was really sucking wind. The optimist in me says that this will be the worst of it. I just wish he had been participating in camp from the start.

i thought the best running formation was when they had the full back in along with McGahee.

i don't know if it was because it was the 4th qtr and the jags d-line was tired but the holes looked bigger and we ran for positive yardage.

i didn't think we ran well out of the 2 tight end sets. their d shot the gaps quickly and disrupted the play with penetration.

having the full back there to block the 1st man penetrating helped.

if anyone has reviewed the tape let me know if that was what happened or if i am off base. thanks,

I think the rate that Mike Williams fatigued was disproportionate to everyone else on the O-line. He started to get sloppy too early for my liking and you could tell that he was really sucking wind. The optimist in me says that this will be the worst of it. I just wish he had been participating in camp from the start.

29680[/snapback]

It was hard to see this on TV. In fact, I did not.

Believe me, I will be the very first to advocate his benching, or even cutting him if he continues to suck, but from what I saw yesterday, he did OK.