If you have Vonage, or other VoIP, read this

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050824/ap_on_...net_phones_e911

If you're phone service is VoIP, like Vonage or Lingo, you have to go to your provider and acknowledge you understand that dialing 911 does not work like a normal phone before Monday. If you don't, you get your service cut off.

Sounds bizarre but it's apparently true.

PTR

I believe this is true. I switched over to VoIP recently and had to sign some kind of waiver saying I understood that there's no 911 service.

Leave it to the FCC bureaucrats to come up with a brilliant solution like this one.

This is true, when the FCC granted the VoIP providers an extension on the dealine to implementing true 911 converage, one caveat was that the srevice providers had to get confirmation from each customer that they understood the limited nature of their current 911 solution (Supposedly so that no died and then blamed the FCC for not getting 911 working)

In a bizarre twist, the FCC told providers if they didn't get confirmation from the customers, they're supposed to turn off their service. No one's sure if the companies will actally do that, but we'll find out next Monday, which I think is the deadline.

This is true, when the FCC granted the VoIP providers an extension on the dealine to implementing true 911 converage, one caveat was that the srevice providers had to get confirmation from each customer that they understood the limited nature of their current 911 solution (Supposedly so that no died and then blamed the FCC for not getting 911 working)

In a bizarre twist, the FCC told providers if they didn't get confirmation from the customers, they're supposed to turn off their service.  No one's sure if the companies will actally do that, but we'll find out next Monday, which I think is the deadline.

417343[/snapback]

True, saw it on the news tonight.