Penalties:

Astrobot

This is not an apology for the scads of penalties, but a closer look at them.

BY O, BY D, BY ST:

___7 were on the offense, 3 of which were made by starters. Big Loser: Bennie.

___9 were on the defense, 2 of which were made by starters. Big Loser: Aaron.

___2 were ST, Burns should know better, Ritz better learn.

BY PENALTY:

___Delay of Game=5 yards. Not bad for Losman's first real action.

___12 on the Field=10 yards. This won't happen with defined platoons of guys.

___Holding=20 yards, both by overmatched backups.

___Pass Interference=21 yards. Stamer's was too close to call. Towns was covering well, too.

___Offsides=25 yards. 1 won't be in the NFL, one will be PS,

___Roughing and Personal Fouls=45 yards. Jury is out on Bennie's emotional control. Haggan and Schobel on defense in the 2nd half.

Some are early-season penalties and are usually corrected. Losman's delay call, Peters' Illegal Formation(actually the receiver outside Peters lined up too far back), some of the offisdes on the kickoffs (King, Ritzmann), S.Adams, Osunde's and Gause's Defensive Offsides, and J.Burns' offsides on the kickoff are examples.

Timing seemed to be a second major culprit. Losman's delay call, Preston's false start (he played practically 3 quarters, and did well), B.Anderson's false start, etc.--they are hearing Losman's cadence for only the second game, and this will get better.

IN ORDER:

OFFENSE PENALTY on BUF-J.Peters, Illegal Formation, 5 yards

OFFENSE PENALTY on BUF-J.Losman, Delay of Game, 5 yards

DEFENSE PENALTY on BUF-S.Adams, Defensive Offside, 5 yards

DEFENSE PENALTY on BUF-E.King, Offside on Free Kick, 5 yards

ST PENALTY on BUF-C.Ritzmann, Offside on Free Kick, 5 yards

OFFENSE PENALTY on BUF-B.Anderson, Personal Foul, 15 yards

OFFENSE PENALTY on BUF-B.Anderson, False Start, 5 yards

DEFENSE PENALTY on BUF-J.Stamer, Defensive Pass Interference, 11 yards

OFFENSE PENALTY on BUF-R.Neufeld, Offensive Holding, 10 yards

OFFENSE PENALTY on BUF-D.Preston, False Start, 5 yards

DEFENSE PENALTY on BUF-U.Osunde, Defensive Offside, 5 yards

ST PENALTY on BUF-J.Burns, Offside on Free Kick, 5 yards

DEFENSE PENALTY on BUF-G.Gause, Defensive Offside, 5 yards

OFFENSE PENALTY on BUF-R.Tucker, Offensive Holding, 10 yards

DEFENSE PENALTY on BUF-M.Haggan, Roughing the Passer, 15 yards

DEFENSE PENALTY on BUF, Defensive 12 On-field, 5 yards

DEFENSE PENALTY on BUF-A.Schobel, Roughing the Passer, 15 yards

DEFENSE PENALTY on BUF-D.Towns, Defensive Pass Interference, 10 yards

18 penalties.

I wonder how many 135 yard drives JP has in him? Whatever the reasons, I've always considered penalties and the ref factor to be a big part (in the negative) of the last several years of Bills Ball. If they get a reputation for lots of calls going into the season, you can bet that they'll get a lot once they get there.

18 penalties.

I wonder how many 135 yard drives JP has in him? Whatever the reasons, I've always considered penalties and the ref factor to be a big part (in the negative) of the last several years of Bills Ball. If they get a reputation for lots of calls going into the season, you can bet that they'll get a lot once they get there.

407130[/snapback]

That was another factor in JP's overall play. he was in a lot of 1-15 and 1-20 situations that were not of his doing, and had a couple first downs called back. It was difficult to get into a rhythm for him, or for the entire offense with all those penalties. It seemed like he was only responsible for one call himself, the delay of game, which he got the play off a half-second too late.

That was another factor in JP's overall play. he was in a lot of 1-15 and 1-20 situations that were not of his doing, and had a couple first downs called back. It was difficult to get into a rhythm for him, or for the entire offense with all those penalties. It seemed like he was only responsible for one call himself, the delay of game, which he got the play off a half-second too late.

407142[/snapback]

Not what an inexperienced QB needs. I can't figure out why this continues to be a problem for the Bills. Different players, different coaches - and still shooting themselves in the foot with bone-head penalties. Didn't a roughing call keep the Colt's TD drive going? If this weren't such a consistent feature of the Bills, I'd blow it off - but whether some are bogus or not, 18 penalties is too much.

This is not an apology for the scads of penalties, but a closer look at them.

Thanks for doing that, seeing all the backwards arrows on the nfl.com live update last night was making me nuts. Hope they clean it up before the season starts. The D can overcome some mistakes, but penalties will kill the offense at this point. I'd be pulling out my hair watching that - and considering what's left of my crewcut, I really don't want to go there.