Where are they now?: Jay Riemersma

Lori

WZZM 13 Grand Rapids

Link is to a short writeup on the local ABC affiliate. He apparently didn't get any contract offers after the Stillers cut him, and the head coach at JR's alma mater had to quit for family reasons, so Jay took over as the interim HC.

What I wanna know - help me out here, Michiganders - is what possible reason there could be for a high school to nickname their teams the "Chix". The Zeeland East CHIX. Ummm. Yeah. Okay.

What I wanna know - help me out here, Michiganders - is what possible reason there could be for a high school to nickname their teams the "Chix". The Zeeland East CHIX. Ummm. Yeah. Okay.

403497[/snapback]

Here's the reason:

Zeeland East Chix (Zeeland, MI) -- Zeeland was known between 1930 and 1950 for its chick hatcheries. In the 1940's, firms in Zeeland were producing about 18,000,000 chicks per year and providing employment for about 3,000 people.

Here's the link.

They needed a name that complemented their pink unis?

403536[/snapback]

Hopper might have the facts straight, but I like your answer better. :(

Wonder if they have a cute fuzzy baby chick mascot? Or if there's a chick logo on their helmets?

Seriously - if you're the average testosterone-fueled high school football player, wouldn't you be absolutely mortified to play for a team named after baby chickens? I can just imagine some of the smacktalk those guys have to endure at the line of scrimmage....