Honest Opinion about the Scrimmage

1) JP looked a little rushed. He made good decisions. Had a good completion %. SHould have given up a pick and 7 points, but the packer dropped it.

2) McGee would have ran back the opening kick if it wasn't 2-hand touch.

3) Defense will win us every game this year.

4) Even though McGahee is nasty, our O-Line need improvement.

5) After watching our D tonight, it is ridiculous that we would consider getting Corey Simon.

6) Mularkey will run a lot of trick plays during the season. It was a scrimmage and we ran 2 or 3 end-arounds. I was drunk and still am. I didn't keep track.

7) Moorman is great. 1 game, 2 or 3 punts, 1 pinned at the 1 yd line.

8) Parrish will be our 3rd down man. Twice tonight he converted on 3rd downs.

9) I believe we will make the Playoffs this year and beyond.

We look good. Our Offense will evolve over time. Our schedule is easy in the beginning giving JP time to develop. Our D and special teams will help us. After that, Willis will tear it up. We will be in good shape. I am dead serious. This season will be memorable.

1) JP looked a little rushed.  He made good decisions.  Had a good completion %.  SHould have given up a pick and 7 points, but the packer dropped it. 

Honestly I wasn't as enthralled with JP's performance. He was just OK. The one thing I wanted to see him do well was throw the ball. We already know he can run and evade a pass rush...but he's going to have to be able to sit in the pocket, make good reads, and throw accurately. He was a bit off in the scrimmage and wasn't able to score a single touchdown...even in the red zone.

Before I get flamed for this, I'm not at all saying I was disappointed with his performance...he did as well as anyone could have expected. Not specifically in response to this post...but some of the others that say he did "great" or was "amazing" is a little bit of an overstatement. Those kind of statements would lead me to think he'd be ready to start if the season began next week. He certainly is not and definitely needs to take full advantage of each preseason game.

I think Losman showed us tonight that he's made some good progress, needs some more work, but could be ready by Sept 11.

Oh and the defense? There's no overstatement there...they looked fantastic.

Honestly I wasn't as enthralled with JP's performance.  He was just OK.  The one thing I wanted to see him do well was throw the ball.  We already know he can run and evade a pass rush...but he's going to have to be able to sit in the pocket, make good reads, and throw accurately.  He was a bit off in the scrimmage and wasn't able to score a single touchdown...even in the red zone.

Before I get flamed for this, I'm not at all saying I was disappointed with his performance...he did as well as anyone could have expected.  Not specifically in response to this post...but some of the others that say he did "great" or was "amazing" is a little bit of an overstatement.  Those kind of statements would lead me to think he'd be ready to start if the season began next week.  He certainly is not and definitely needs to take full advantage of each preseason game.

I think Losman showed us tonight that he's made some good progress, needs some more work, but could be ready by Sept 11.

400500[/snapback]

Considering what everyone in the NFL is expecting from the "inexperienced rookie," JP looked quite solid.

PTR

Considering what everyone in the NFL is expecting from the "inexperienced rookie," JP looked quite solid.

PTR

400506[/snapback]

The offensive play calling was perfect for JP, a lot of bootlegs to cut the field in half and play-action passes--similar to Roethlisberger last season. JP will be fine with that type of offensive game-planning.

There are certainly areas for improvement, and you hit most of them, I know for me, tonight was a huge sigh of relief due to the gloom and doom I was reading from some here. JP looked like a young qb, but the consensus of opinion from what I have seen and heard is that he improves almost daily. If hes OK now, what will he be in a month?

PTR

400506[/snapback]

Does that mean everyone in the NFL is expecting him to come out and be a complete bust? I don't think that's the case at all.

He played solid for an inexperienced rookie during a scrimmage, sure, but I'm not ready to say he played solid for a starting nfl quarterback. and that's what we need. I'm just trying to say he's on track, but not necessarily ready to go tomorrow.

Does that mean everyone in the NFL is expecting him to come out and be a complete bust?  I don't think that's the case at all.

Think again.

He played solid for an inexperienced rookie during a  scrimmage, sure, but I'm not ready to say he played solid for a starting nfl quarterback.  and that's what we need.  I'm just trying to say he's on track, but not necessarily ready to go tomorrow.

Is ANY team ready to go tomorrow? Nope, not even the Pats.

Honestly I wasn't as enthralled with JP's performance.  He was just OK.  The one thing I wanted to see him do well was throw the ball.  We already know he can run and evade a pass rush...but he's going to have to be able to sit in the pocket, make good reads, and throw accurately.  He was a bit off in the scrimmage and wasn't able to score a single touchdown...even in the red zone.

Before I get flamed for this, I'm not at all saying I was disappointed with his performance...he did as well as anyone could have expected.  Not specifically in response to this post...but some of the others that say he did "great" or was "amazing" is a little bit of an overstatement.  Those kind of statements would lead me to think he'd be ready to start if the season began next week.  He certainly is not and definitely needs to take full advantage of each preseason game.

400500[/snapback]

He missed a couple balls by throwing low and short. That is what you want. He went through all his reads, he made good decisions for the most part, he went to the right guy. It's hard to say he didnt thow any TDs with the rules they used in the scrimmage, they were only allowed 9 plays, and went back to the 30 yard line if they would have had to punt on any set of downs. He made one very bad decision and pass that would have been a score going the other way but the guy didnt intercept it. The completions he made were right on the numbers. He wasnt great but he was solid.

A couple quick notes.

R. Lee (#30) looked like he missed a big block which was the only real sack losman would have taken, but he would have gotten clocked

Shaud is our #2 back and i am pumped about him

Lionel Gates was all over the field, even in plays that didn't involve him. He seemed to show that extra bit of energy and chutzpa that one would expect of a special teams captain (is he the next Sammy Morris?)

I wish i would have seen more of King tonight, as well as Woodbury (who i think will be on our practice squad if he doesn't make the final 53)

JP looked okay... get rid of the jitters and we are in great shape

Defense is dominant and may be more fun to watch this year with big hits, game changing turnovers, and negative yardage plays than our offense.

I am excited, we dominated on D, and looked good enough on offense to make me say we are a MUCH better team than the Packers at this point, which i am sure/hope will carry into the season.

Think again.

Is ANY team ready to go tomorrow?  Nope, not even the Pats.

400542[/snapback]

"Think again". Really. You really want to take the opinion that everyone in the NFL thinks JP will be a bust? I'm ready to take you on in that. You sure you want to take that side?

400500[/snapback]

I agree with you on JP in regards to what I saw. He has made some good progress, needs some more work, and he WILL be ready by Spet. 11th.

I LOVE some of the things I saw though. He delivered the quick slant better than I have seen since Flutie. He Checks through the progression better than Bledsoe by a LONGGGGGGG Way. Give him some time, and JP will be a Damn good QB...

I agree with you on JP in regards to what I saw.  He has made some good progress, needs some more work, and he WILL be ready by Spet. 11th.

I LOVE some of the things I saw though. He delivered the quick slant better than I have seen since Flutie. He Checks through the progression better than Bledsoe by a LONGGGGGGG Way. Give him some time, and JP will be a Damn good QB...

400575[/snapback]

That was the first thing that struck me about Losman is that he actually checks down his options. Thats usually a hard thing to get a QB to learn, as younger ones are more prone to throwing to a "safety" WR and trying to throw it into tight coverage, just so he can hit the WR he is comfortable with. Losman looks at #1, and if he's not open quickly moves to #2 and so on and so forth.

Losman still needs work on his decision making though...he had a sure TD open to him and never should have lobbed that pass to the Packer defender. But luckily decision making is something that can be changed for the better.

I agree with you on JP in regards to what I saw.  He has made some good progress, needs some more work, and he WILL be ready by Spet. 11th.

400575[/snapback]

Yeah, I liked his lightning fast juke of the free rushing DT. They ruled it a sack but there was no way he'd have been caught.

Whereas Bledsoe was too slow to make a decision, Losman's still a bit trigger happy. Hopefully he'll be able to get comfortable and relax a bit more in the next few weeks.

Losman still needs work on his decision making though...he had a sure TD open to him and never should have lobbed that pass to the Packer defender...

I forget but wasn't that the play where there was an unaccounted-for blitzer bearing-down from his left side? If so, I thought it was good in that he got the ball off quickly before getting nailed. It was a bad throw/decision on where he put it, but good for WHY he threw it. And it wasn't caught so it wasn't an INT.